DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-02-2011, 03:00 AM

Default Toontrack's expansion packs half price

http://www.amazon.com/Toontrack-Drum...ref=pd_cp_MI_2

Amazon has em for 39.99....so that means whatever site you normally go through will most likely match it.

I didnt look closely at all their products,but I think I seen the metal foundry marked down near 100 bucks as well.

Im looking at Metalheads.Gonna bite any minute now.Highly suggest to any of you new to e-kits,who are more than likely picking up an entry level kit,to get Ezdrummer,and one of these expansions while they're on sale.Will make a lower end kit with limited sounds,instantly sound amazing.

Just an FYI
Old 08-02-2011, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Toontrack's expansion packs half price

Do you have any tips for some one new to using something like this? I have a Roland TD 4 and I'd like to use ezdrummer but don't know where to begin...
Old 08-03-2011, 01:41 AM
Pioneer Member

I think even if you buy an expansion pack for $40, you still need to have the program to run it, whatever that costs. I use Superior 2.0
Old 08-03-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdaven View Post
Do you have any tips for some one new to using something like this? I have a Roland TD 4 and I'd like to use ezdrummer but don't know where to begin...

Plug your module right into your computer...usually to an open usb.I would recommend some nice headphones if you dont already have some.Personally I use powered studio monitors ran through a small mixing board.

From there its very simple.The program will show a kit,and on each piece of the kit there will be several different types of that drum or cymbal,all based on the actual recorded sounds of each piece.Play around until you find the sounds you like,sit on your kit and go.

And yes youd need ezdrummer or superior drummer installed before you can use any of the expansions.Superior is gonna be the road to go down for the latest and up to date sounds,and because of that it will bring with it a higher price tag.Ezdrummer is the original program,and therefor can be had for at least half of what Superior goes for.Whatever way you want to go,you cant really go wrong.Add a couple expansions to ezdrummer and you have more than youd ever need.

Hope that helps.Good luck!!

Oh and I did pick up metalheads ezx.Now the dreaded waiting game for it to arrive.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
I think even if you buy an expansion pack for $40, you still need to have the program to run it, whatever that costs. I use Superior 2.0
Yea you need either ezdrummer or superior before you can go deep into their extra stuff.Superior 2.0 is 189 bucks right now on amazon,and ezdrummer is 69.

I hate sounding like im trying to sell their stuff,but I couldnt believe how much of a difference their stuff made.I couldnt play my acoustic kit the way it should be played because of neighbors,and most of the entry level e-kits just didnt sound right.These programs saved the day.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bog_72 View Post
Plug your module right into your computer...usually to an open usb.I would recommend some nice headphones if you dont already have some.Personally I use powered studio monitors ran through a small mixing board.

From there its very simple.The program will show a kit,and on each piece of the kit there will be several different types of that drum or cymbal,all based on the actual recorded sounds of each piece.Play around until you find the sounds you like,sit on your kit and go.

And yes youd need ezdrummer or superior drummer installed before you can use any of the expansions.Superior is gonna be the road to go down for the latest and up to date sounds,and because of that it will bring with it a higher price tag.Ezdrummer is the original program,and therefor can be had for at least half of what Superior goes for.Whatever way you want to go,you cant really go wrong.Add a couple expansions to ezdrummer and you have more than youd ever need.

Hope that helps.Good luck!!

Oh and I did pick up metalheads ezx.Now the dreaded waiting game for it to arrive.
Thanks very much for the info, much appreciated!

I was wondering if you know a little more.. you mentioned USB - would I use a MIDI to USB cable, if such a thing exists?

I was also wondering, is it possible to record the MIDI tracks and convert them to MP3 and other formats?
Old 08-06-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdaven View Post
Thanks very much for the info, much appreciated!

I was wondering if you know a little more.. you mentioned USB - would I use a MIDI to USB cable, if such a thing exists?

I was also wondering, is it possible to record the MIDI tracks and convert them to MP3 and other formats?

Your Roland TD-4 should have some type of usb connection.Almost all this new technology has a way to use on your computer somehow.I am not familiar with the roland stuff,but they must have usb on them.

And yes,if you go on youtube for example you can find tons of projects people make using the software.You can use the midi loops to make a backing track using an interface such as pro-tools,Sonor,even Reaper has a good free program you can use.Then add other instruments over it.
If making drum tracks isnt your thing,just run ezdrummer into one of the channels on your interface,hit record and make your own tracks with your own beats.

Youd have to talk to the toontrack guys for any more details.I am pretty new to it myself obviously,but im pretty sure they covered most everything youd want to do.

and by the way,theres alot of other companies that make these same drum programs.I just happened to dig toontracks stuff.Good luck.