DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-28-2011, 04:15 AM
tbdd's Avatar
tbdd tbdd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 142
Default G2 clears or G pro's??

Thoughts? I am currently using Ec1's (which they don't make anymore..)

I'm looking for something fat, deep, with some warmth??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-28-2011, 04:21 AM
Doug Masters's Avatar
Doug Masters Doug Masters is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sin City, USA
Posts: 515
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbdd View Post
Thoughts? I am currently using Ec1's (which they don't make anymore..)

I'm looking for something fat, deep, with some warmth??
For warmth I'd go G2 coated or Emperor coated.
__________________
DW Performance
Yamaha Oak Custom
Zildjian
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-28-2011, 04:28 AM
jakester jakester is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 245
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

i would go with g2 and they are great i have a nice deep sound
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-28-2011, 04:39 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,425
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

I used to love the G2's. Then someone suggested the Remo Vintage Emperors. Love those too. Does it have to be an Evans head?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-28-2011, 04:40 AM
tbdd's Avatar
tbdd tbdd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 142
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

i tried the G1 coated not to long ago but they lost all attack really quikly and just ended up sound lifeless, would the coated g2's be similar?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-28-2011, 04:41 AM
tbdd's Avatar
tbdd tbdd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 142
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

It doesnt have to be, i could care less ive just always used evans for toms and kick and remo for snare :)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2011, 05:02 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,425
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

That was one of the things I discovered when I played Evans - when they started to go dead, they literally DIED very quickly. I was using G1's or G2's and the EQ3 for the bass drum. At some point I tried the EC2's and I had the same results every time. when I went back to the Remo heads, they died slowly. It was weird.

Other people have told me they experienced the same thing, but then I meet alot of people who love Evans heads and don't have this issue. I figure at this point in my career I don't want to change heads every three weeks when I'm gigging heavily (which I don't anymore) so I'm perfectly happy with the Remos. I started out on Remo when it was the only game in town almost 40 years ago!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-28-2011, 06:07 AM
Winston_Wolf's Avatar
Winston_Wolf Winston_Wolf is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,145
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

A G Plus is just a tiny bit thinner than the EC1's you're playing now, but should sound a little more open without the muffle ring. I think if you're used to the feel of a thick one-ply G Plus is the way to go.

Of course, G2's are great heads too, so I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-28-2011, 06:10 AM
daredrummer's Avatar
daredrummer daredrummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,375
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
That was one of the things I discovered when I played Evans - when they started to go dead, they literally DIED very quickly. I was using G1's or G2's and the EQ3 for the bass drum. At some point I tried the EC2's and I had the same results every time. when I went back to the Remo heads, they died slowly. It was weird.

Other people have told me they experienced the same thing, but then I meet alot of people who love Evans heads and don't have this issue. I figure at this point in my career I don't want to change heads every three weeks when I'm gigging heavily (which I don't anymore) so I'm perfectly happy with the Remos. I started out on Remo when it was the only game in town almost 40 years ago!
The problem I had with the EC2's is that I don't think they tune very well. I matched and double-checked the pitch of each rod on both sides, and I'm still not getting the sustain I want. A lot of tone, but not sustain. Perhaps it's due to the rings, but I got some great sustain out of my PS3's which also have rings.
__________________
"Nowadays you could find a plumber, put him in a studio and make him sound good." ~John Robinson
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-28-2011, 06:18 AM
SJ-Jazz's Avatar
SJ-Jazz SJ-Jazz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 16
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

my G2 Coated on my Tama is like 3 years old i believe... LOL and it still sounds great
technique makes a big difference on the longevity of a head. :)

Edit: I'll probably get bashed for saying 3 years old hahaha but im not exaggerating and i play a lot since I practice for school's big band.
__________________
Pork Pie Maple Snare: 6.5x14
Tama Starclassic B/B: 22, 10, 12, 16
Vater
Sabian
Dream
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-28-2011, 06:19 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,425
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
The problem I had with the EC2's is that I don't think they tune very well. I matched and double-checked the pitch of each rod on both sides, and I'm still not getting the sustain I want. A lot of tone, but not sustain. Perhaps it's due to the rings, but I got some great sustain out of my PS3's which also have rings.
I can understand that. But a friend of mine sold me on the EC2's because his Yamaha Recording Custom had them and they sounded awesome. I get 'em and put 'em on my DW's at the time and they sucked! Definitely Your Mileage May Vary, eh?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 AM
Winston_Wolf's Avatar
Winston_Wolf Winston_Wolf is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 1,145
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Definitely Your Mileage May Vary, eh?
I agree. The EC2's sound great on my drums, and I have plenty enough sustain, matched with either EC Resos or Strata 1000s.

I'm sure tuning choices and bearing edge profiles play a big part, as does the weight of your hoops. Back when I tried heavier hoops on my toms they completely sucked up the sustain of thicker heads.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-28-2011, 07:18 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,425
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
I agree. The EC2's sound great on my drums, and I have plenty enough sustain, matched with either EC Resos or Strata 1000s.

I'm sure tuning choices and bearing edge profiles play a big part, as does the weight of your hoops. Back when I tried heavier hoops on my toms they completely sucked up the sustain of thicker heads.
This is also a little unusual because on my Starclassic Bubingas, Tama installs heavy die cast hoops, yet my current coated Vintage Emperors sound great, and sustain well. I'm going back to regular clear emperors top and bottom on my next head set so I should be able to assume it'll sustain even longer.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Homeularis's Avatar
Homeularis Homeularis is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco/Oakland East Bay, CA, USA
Posts: 1,062
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

I dunno, for me, just about all high end heads sound good, but they have to be tuned perfectly (or close to it) in order to do so.
I have EC2's over G1's and am having a B_ _CH of a time tuning my 2 largest toms right now.
I dont think its the heads though. I used Remo Pinstripes for ever until now and would go through the same problems.
I think its my brain. :/
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-29-2011, 06:37 AM
tbdd's Avatar
tbdd tbdd is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 142
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

sorry they weren't g1s they where coated embasedors im pretty sure. Im not sure but the sounded amazing but died very quickly . what are the Vintage Emperorss like?

Quote:
technique makes a big difference on the longevity of a head. :)
I do bash my toms when necessary :D
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-29-2011, 06:46 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,425
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

The coated vintage Emperors are a bit thicker than normal. The white coating feels a little heavier too. But on my Tama Starclassic Bubingas, they sound great. Very resonant and easy to tune. They can take high pitch and low ones. They're great.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-29-2011, 06:55 PM
EvansSpecialist EvansSpecialist is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 546
Default Re: G2 clears or G pro's??

I'd recommend coated G Plus based on what you were using and the sound you described. Very durable, great feel, full sound.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com