DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-27-2011, 08:43 PM

Default Mic options: am I on the right track?

Hey folks!

So I've been doing a lot of research on micing options on various forums and searching on the net. At first I was looking at mic packages from various audio companies but I found there was always one weak mic or two within those kits so I started at looking at piecing together mics that mixed well together instead.

I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars on mics either but I would like to get decent "used" mics within my budget. I'm hoping to stay under $500 for 3 tom mics, 1 snare and 1kick mic. I have 2 overheads already that are decent, but I will upgrade those down the road.

So from all the research I've done I'm planning on getting:

3x sennheiser 604 for toms
1x shure 57 or audix i5
1x akg d112
2x at2021(I already have these mics)

Are there other options I'm missing? Would this be a decent set up for a home studio? I won't be playing live anytime soon and currently I just jam with my buddies, but most importantly I write and compose my own music as a hobby so getting a decent drum sound is important to me.

I'd love to hear your experiences, thoughts and feedback!
Old 07-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Mic options: am I on the right track?

You're not going to go wrong with those mics, that is certain.

I explored other bass drum mic options. A LOT (I mean a cult) of people love the Audix D6. The 'standard' is the AKG D112. I took the middle road and went with a Sennheiser e602.

I like going with the SM57 because it is a pretty flexible mic. Great for snares, hand percussion, guitar cabs, and vocals (same diaphragm as an SM58 - hell, it's the same mic just the SM58 has a ball end with some extra foam in it whereas the SM57 is a more open/unprotected capsule).
Old 07-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Cool.

Those mics will serve you well. I would recommend SM57s for the toms if you want versatility for mixing. If you want a punchy, "modern" sound to the toms, go with Audix D2s and D4s. Same thing for the snare mic--SM57 for the classic snare sound, Audix I-5 for a more "in your face" kind of sound.

Any of those mics will work, it's just a matter of what sound you want to lean towards...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 07-31-2011, 04:59 AM

I would never use anything else on my kick but D112, until I tried a Beta 52! Nice mic!
Old 08-02-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmsdn View Post
You're not going to go wrong with those mics, that is certain.

I explored other bass drum mic options. A LOT (I mean a cult) of people love the Audix D6. The 'standard' is the AKG D112. I took the middle road and went with a Sennheiser e602.

I like going with the SM57 because it is a pretty flexible mic. Great for snares, hand percussion, guitar cabs, and vocals (same diaphragm as an SM58 - hell, it's the same mic just the SM58 has a ball end with some extra foam in it whereas the SM57 is a more open/unprotected capsule).
Thanks Sim. What were your reasons for choosing the e602? I've also looked at the Audix D6 and I'm still deciding between the 2...and possibly now 3 kick mics :)
I also considered the sm57's because I play guitar and bass so between the sm57 and Audix i5, for me I'm leaning towards more the i5 slightly, but either wayI think either mic would work for my needs, both are flexible mics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Cool.

Those mics will serve you well. I would recommend SM57s for the toms if you want versatility for mixing. If you want a punchy, "modern" sound to the toms, go with Audix D2s and D4s. Same thing for the snare mic--SM57 for the classic snare sound, Audix I-5 for a more "in your face" kind of sound.

Any of those mics will work, it's just a matter of what sound you want to lean towards...
Appreciate the input caddy. I think I'd be pretty happy with the 604's but every time I hear the Audix "D" series mics it's something else for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flicky View Post
I would never use anything else on my kick but D112, until I tried a Beta 52! Nice mic!
Flicky, I ask you as well, why the beta 52 over the D112?

Thanks for the input guys, I'm most likely going ahead with the 604's, I found a local guy letting them go for a decent price, I'm hoping I could get him down in price more.

I'd still love to hear from the rest of you!
Old 08-02-2011, 04:55 AM
audiotech

I'll just stick with my Electrovoice RE20s for my bass drums, in studio and out.

Dennis
Old 08-02-2011, 05:00 AM

I like the frequency curve of the Beta 52 vs the D112. I used to use the D112 about 3 to 4 inches off the batter to get that click/attack, but with the Beta I can get the same sound at the vent hole plus more low end.
Both are great mics! Any sound companies near you where you can rent them for a day to compare before buying?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:01 AM
Silver Member

The Electro Voice RE20 is a great mic, very versatile. You can use it on a kick, use it for vocals, guitar cabs, bass amps... Pretty much anything. And it's relatively cheap, I think it retails for 400 canadian. Something like that.

Anyways, I run a handful of SM57s for the toms/snare, a D112 on the kick, two Rode M3s for overheads, and an audiotechnica AT2035 for room ambience (which I don't always end up going with).

The great thing about sm57s is they're versatile and relatively cheap considering the sound. You can normally find a used one for anywhere from 50 to 75 bucks, and they retail for roughly 100 new. the rode m3s are rode's answer to the akg c1000s. similar in sound, cheaper in price. the d112 is the standard, i didn't really shop around for kick mics, but i have been in studio situations where the beta52 was used, and it competes easily. if you have the money, go audix or the electrovoice for the kick. it's always best to go with something you won't replace later on.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the input folks!

I just picked up my 604's today, got them used but are in mint condition. The guy even threw in another defective 604 for parts or if I could fix it :)

I'm still undecided on the kick but I'm leaning towards the D112 or the Sennheiser 602, but again it's nothing final.

I was able to hear the D112 and the Shure 52 side by side with no EQ or compression. The one thing that is important to me is the best RAW sound I could get from the mic. Both sounded great and to be honest I didn't like one over the other. Now if I could hear the other 2 mics I think It would be easier for me to decide.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Silver Member

Good luck finding an e602. They're not very common, but I like that it's different, for whatever that's worth (apparrently it was worth about $150 to me).

You will not be disappointed with the D112, so that is the safe bet. I've just been very impressed with anything Sennheiser, so I took the plunge on the e602. It has the right mix of boom and attack for me.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmsdn View Post
Good luck finding an e602. They're not very common, but I like that it's different, for whatever that's worth (apparrently it was worth about $150 to me).

You will not be disappointed with the D112, so that is the safe bet. I've just been very impressed with anything Sennheiser, so I took the plunge on the e602. It has the right mix of boom and attack for me.
I think I'll go ahead and buy a new 602 as you mentioned it has a good balance from what I've heard on youtube vids. I did find a used shure beta 52 for a decent price but I'm leaning towards the 602.

Thanks for all the input folks!