DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 09-02-2011, 10:49 PM

Default Band issue... your thoughts?

I cant decide wether to leave or not ... and here is the story

So 2 and a half years ago me and friends from school started playing instruments and formed a punk rock band. Since then we have played a few gigs and recorded a few songs. We are really good friends, though when it comes to band it gets harder and harder. From time to time we've had conflicts but thats normal i guess. But recently i've changed my style and don't dig punk rock that much anymore.

There are some people who say that i have progressed more than my band, and i should move on to something more serious. And the people that told it to me know what they are saying. On the other hand there are some who say that i should stay because, if i left the band would break up.

Another thing is that, me and the band leader are the only ones who care about how the band sounds and also keep it going. The bassist and keyboardist are band leaders best friends and they play only for the sake of playing. Guitarist and singer just don't care about the way the band sounds.

Also the band leader is the one who makes the conflicts mostly. He usually yells at everyone and rarely appreciates others ideas ( also has big ego) Most of us can't stand him, especially when he gets angry.

Finally, in the end of summer we bought our own gear for practice room, unfortunately, that was when i realised i didn't enjoy playing with them anymore. But the money was already gone. My parents gave it to me and they are the ones who support me much and want me to stay in the band. They don't want me to leave because they are more concerned about where i am going to play after i leave than the money they gave me for the gear or my music genre.

We are really good friends and have great time together. I really don't wanna bring hate between us, but music is other thing i guess.

So what should i do ? Leave or not ? What would you do ? Also how to leave on friendly terms if its possible ?

Thanks
Old 09-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Band issue... your thoughts?

Why not join another band and stay in your current group? That way you have one group that satisfies you musically and one just for fun.

Also, you and the guitarist should be deciding on your current group's direction since you're the ones who care. Then you can gently push the direction to something you like more.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

What is more important: Musical fulfillment, or hanging out with these friends in a band? Either is a good enough reason.

It's not an all-or-nothing choice. You can still have these people as friends even if you're not in a band together, provided they are mature enough for that. You will have to develop the ability to enter and leave bands - whether you leave by choice or are kicked out - if you want to play with others.

You need to discover yourself musically (likely several times in your lifetime) and playing with more people is essential to that. Leave this band and find some other people to play with. You have a good heart that is devoted to music and a pile of gear that your parents got you. Someone out there wants to be in a band with someone like you. You just have to go out and find them.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:07 AM

Agree with Polly and DMC.......what would be wrong with continuing with your current band and starting or joining another project? I participate in other musical projects outside of my band when they arise. However, I give my band priority when it comes to gigs, practice and time but I am not "married" to them exclusively. Trust me, until we are able to able to make a living on the band, I will be a slut that way! :)
If something more permanent or staisfying should come along, so be it. Then you will know. I wouldn't just leave for the sake of leaving without having a better project in line. If nothing else, they (your current band) provide you the opportunity of regular play time with a band- something a lot of people just wish for.
Good Luck!