DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-24-2011, 07:21 PM

Default Snare drum sounds

Hi Guys
I have been thinking about different snare drum sounds recently.
I have owned and played quite a few over the years and to be brutally honest I have found not as much difference in their sound as I expected.
The thrill of getting a new snare never goes away of course but there is still this nagging feeling that the differences in sound are small in reality.
I do wonder how much of the perceived difference in sounds is down to self deception rather than a genuine difference. Of course snares can be tuned any way you choose but if snares of similar depth and diameter and with the same brand of batter and snare head are tuned similarly is their really that much difference? I have owned everything from a Dunnett titanium to a Supraphonic to a Pearl sensitone elite aluminium and all sorts of wood snares from Pork Pie to Highwood. Do not misunderstand they have all been works of art and wonderful to play but different.................?
Am I this only one who has had this thought?
Any opinions?
Skunk
Old 07-24-2011, 08:27 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Snare drum sounds

You are essentially right. A drum is a drum is a drum. Yes there are nuances. But 10 feet away it's all about tuning and heads. A great sounding drum set played by a lousy player won't satisfy anybody. It's all about playing the kit so you draw people in somehow.

Put Vinnie on a set of First Acts (Probably the worst drum set ever constructed) and he will play something that sounds great.