DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 07-18-2011, 09:07 PM

Default Odd price difference...

So, on memphisdrumshop, they have the 20" Coated Emperor "Tom-tom batter" drumhead listed for about 26$.
But then they have the 20" Coated Emperor "Bass-drum" drumhead listed for about 36$!

How come? Is there an actualy difference in the head? Collar? Am I mising something? Or is it just to fool drummers?
Old 07-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Odd price difference...

The hoop and collar on a bass drum head is quite a bit different to allow for the different way a bass hoop contacts compared to a triple flange.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

I was going to say the exact same thing, but Winston beat me to it! Yep - bigger collar on the bass drum heads because of the wooden hoop. The bass drum head won't fit in a triple flanged hoop.

I must say the youngin's working at the local GC seem to think that you can put any ol' 18" head on a Gretsch Catalina jazz kit. Even after I explained to them why bass drum heads have a bigger collar, they argued back that someone has done it and is not having any problems whatsoever. So I countered, well, is he playing it or looking at it? Awareness is the first big step everyone has to take, everybody!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I was going to say the exact same thing, but Winston beat me to it! Yep - bigger collar on the bass drum heads because of the wooden hoop. The bass drum head won't fit in a triple flanged hoop.
Okay, so the "bass" head won't fit a triple-flanged hoop, but will the "tom" head fit a bass hoop? Or is that not a good idea?

I understand except for that one lil' detail. Thanks guys! :)
Old 07-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.L View Post
Okay, so the "bass" head won't fit a triple-flanged hoop, but will the "tom" head fit a bass hoop? Or is that not a good idea?

I understand except for that one lil' detail. Thanks guys! :)
It'll fit, but it's not a good idea because it's not big enough. If you start to put tension on it, the wood hoop could simply slip off of the drum head collar in certain spots, warping the hoop and making it difficult to accurately tune the head. Some people get lucky and never experience a problem because most people have little or no tension on the bass drum head anyway, but that certainly degrades the tuning options that would normally be available to you with the proper-sized head in the first place.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
It'll fit, but it's not a good idea because it's not big enough. If you start to put tension on it, the wood hoop could simply slip off of the drum head collar in certain spots, warping the hoop and making it difficult to accurately tune the head. Some people get lucky and never experience a problem because most people have little or no tension on the bass drum head anyway, but that certainly degrades the tuning options that would normally be available to you with the proper-sized head in the first place.
Alright, I get it now. :)
Yeah, the "Tom" head probably wouldn't work, because I like my bass drums to be tuned a bit higher than most.
Thanks for the info you guys, all the best!