DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-15-2011, 11:40 PM
Gerpz Gerpz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5
Default Drumheads?

I have been playing for a little over 5 years now. Started when I was 9. I have gone through 2 drum sets and never changed any heads except for a bass head here and there.

I have since played on some of my friends drums and at private lessons I play on the exact same drum set as mine. The difference is, there's sound so much better. The only thing I could come up with is because I use the heads that originally came with the sets I got.

I have looked around and seen people saying no drum head is "best" however I know that every manufacturer makes a combination of good products and horrible products. Is there a certain line or brand I should look for when going shopping for new heads? My band usually plays hard/alt rock kind of stuff and I like to have the bass be really bold.

Thanks,
Brayden
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-15-2011, 11:57 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: God's Waiting Room
Posts: 15,235
Default Re: Drumheads?

Depending on the drums, sticks, tuning, etc you can get many sounds from drum heads. You will find many suggestions here if you tell us what type of drums, brand, and the sound you are looking for.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 07-16-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-16-2011, 12:13 AM
Gerpz Gerpz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5
Default Re: Drumheads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Depending on the drums, sticks, tuning, etc you can get many sounds from drum heads. You find many suggestions here if you tell us what type of drums, brand, and the sound you are looking for.
I currently have a Sonor 3007 Special Edition set. The reason I'm asking here is because I don't know what sound I am looking for. As I said above, I am usually playing alt/hard rock songs.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-16-2011, 12:36 AM
AudioWonderland AudioWonderland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 447
Default Re: Drumheads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerpz View Post
I currently have a Sonor 3007 Special Edition set. The reason I'm asking here is because I don't know what sound I am looking for. As I said above, I am usually playing alt/hard rock songs.
I generally recommend a coated ambassador batter over a clear amb reso head to new players. Its pretty much a time tested and flexible combo that gives a good baseline to determine what you want more of and what you want less of. If you are a heavy hitter Maybe you should sub a coated emperor for the ambassador.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-16-2011, 01:58 AM
Typo's Avatar
Typo Typo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 194
Default Re: Drumheads?

First thing I'd recommend is to stay away from any kind of pre-muffled heads, like Remo Pinstripes, Evans EC2, or Aquarian Performance 2. Especially with the good quality set you have, a nice, open head would sound great if you know (or learn) how to tune well. I suggest either Remo Emperors, Evans G2, or Aquarian Response 2. I would stick with clear to start. I'm sure the options are overwhelming in quantity, but you really can't go wrong with one of the above three. If you're wondering which brand is better in terms of a clear 2 ply head (Emperors, G2s, Response 2s), it's really just preference, because sound-wise, they are all very similar. I'd just go for whatever is cheaper at the time.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this is my advice for batter (top) tom heads. Good resonant (bottom) heads to complement would be Remo Ambassadors, Evans G1s, or Aquarian Classic Clears. These are just your typical clear, 1 ply heads.
__________________
Tim

Last edited by Typo; 07-16-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-2011, 02:05 AM
kevdrummer28's Avatar
kevdrummer28 kevdrummer28 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 221
Default Re: Drumheads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerpz View Post
I have been playing for a little over 5 years now. Started when I was 9. I have gone through 2 drum sets and never changed any heads except for a bass head here and there.

I have since played on some of my friends drums and at private lessons I play on the exact same drum set as mine. The difference is, there's sound so much better. The only thing I could come up with is because I use the heads that originally came with the sets I got.

I have looked around and seen people saying no drum head is "best" however I know that every manufacturer makes a combination of good products and horrible products. Is there a certain line or brand I should look for when going shopping for new heads? My band usually plays hard/alt rock kind of stuff and I like to have the bass be really bold.

Thanks,
Brayden
I would try Remo Emperors for toms, maybe an Emperor X on the snare if you're a hard hitter, and a Powerstroke 3 on the bass. And all clear Ambassadors on the resonate sides of the toms.

If you're not that hard of a hitter, maybe try Ambassadors on everything instead of Emperors, unless you find you like the Emp sound.

But you can't go wrong with Remo, Evans, or Aquarian. I just stick with Remo.

Hope I've helped
__________________
I play Parish Drums and Heartbeat Cymbals.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-16-2011, 04:25 AM
daredrummer's Avatar
daredrummer daredrummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,375
Default Re: Drumheads?

Whatever drumheads you get (they all sound good, lol), you should be more focused on the tuning.
Things that make up a drum sound?
10% drum head
10% actual drum
80% tuning

Watch some videos, search through some threads here, find lots of info on tuning.
With tuning you can get a $10,000 kit to sound like crap, or a $300 set to sound fairly decent.
__________________
"Nowadays you could find a plumber, put him in a studio and make him sound good." ~John Robinson
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-16-2011, 07:46 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drumheads?

Since you like the sound of your friend's kit, just try using the same heads. If they don't sound the same on your set of drums, it's probably been the tuning all along. Your very lucky to have a common denominator playing the same types of drums.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-16-2011, 09:48 AM
Homeularis's Avatar
Homeularis Homeularis is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco/Oakland East Bay, CA, USA
Posts: 1,062
Default Re: Drumheads?

I have a 3007 also and it sounds really good with Evans EC2's over Evans G1's and a GMAD on the kick.





They work for all kinds of music IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Mr.L's Avatar
Mr.L Mr.L is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 356
Default Re: Drumheads?

Toms:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9Unab1OzU
Snare:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxm3QunDjUs
Bass:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8Q12mKYxI
__________________
Take care of your drums, one day they'll be vintage!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Gerpz Gerpz is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5
Default Re: Drumheads?

I have my drum teacher tune most of the time and I am getting to the point where I can almost tune them myself with the help of a keyboard.

I'm thinking of going with Aquarian, Super Kick 2 for the bass and Response 2 for the toms.

Thanks for the help,
Brayden
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Typo's Avatar
Typo Typo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 194
Default Re: Drumheads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerpz View Post
I have my drum teacher tune most of the time and I am getting to the point where I can almost tune them myself with the help of a keyboard.

I'm thinking of going with Aquarian, Super Kick 2 for the bass and Response 2 for the toms.

Thanks for the help,
Brayden
Sounds great! I'm an Aquarian fan myself...

I tune with a keyboard also.
__________________
Tim
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-18-2011, 11:49 PM
ahector's Avatar
ahector ahector is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 240
Default Re: Drumheads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerpz View Post
I currently have a Sonor 3007 Special Edition set. The reason I'm asking here is because I don't know what sound I am looking for. As I said above, I am usually playing alt/hard rock songs.
All the suggestions in this thread are great, but you've identified the real problem here for yourself. I personally believe that although there is a big difference in the sound of fresh heads and worn ones... learning to tune the drums how you want them to sound is much more important.
__________________
- Andy

drummer for Within a Reverie, an experiment in prog rock/metal/???
withinareverie.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-31-2011, 05:14 PM
tard's Avatar
tard tard is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: springhill nova scotia canada
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: Drumheads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
Whatever drumheads you get (they all sound good, lol), you should be more focused on the tuning.
Things that make up a drum sound?
10% drum head
10% actual drum
80% tuning

Watch some videos, search through some threads here, find lots of info on tuning.
With tuning you can get a $10,000 kit to sound like crap, or a $300 set to sound fairly decent.
one question, if your using the same head and the same person is tuning, do you really think there is only a 10% difference in sound between a set of say pearl exports and a set of masters?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-31-2011, 06:26 PM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,149
Default Re: Drumheads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
one question, if your using the same head and the same person is tuning, do you really think there is only a 10% difference in sound between a set of say pearl exports and a set of masters?
I would have to agree. An inexpensive kit will not have the resonate spectrum of a Pro kit but it will tune and sound fine. Technology has made it possible for inexpensive kits to sound real good. I would say that the difference is close to 10%.
A good tuner will get a good sound from any drum.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-31-2011, 08:50 PM
tard's Avatar
tard tard is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: springhill nova scotia canada
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: Drumheads?

if thats the case why would someone pay 5000 for a set of shells if there is only 10% difference in sound from a set that only costs 500? it really does make much sense now does it?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-01-2011, 01:35 AM
bobdadruma's Avatar
bobdadruma bobdadruma is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: second measure of a fill-in
Posts: 10,149
Default Re: Drumheads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
if thats the case why would someone pay 5000 for a set of shells if there is only 10% difference in sound from a set that only costs 500? it really does make much sense now does it?
It makes sense to some.
If you are close mic-ing in a studio and recording then the 10% means a lot.
If you are sitting at the kit you can hear the difference and it sounds better.
If you are just playing in a club then it really does not matter as much.
It is hard to tell the quality of a drum kit in a live situation from 20 feet away when the drums are in a mix and/or going through a PA sys

It is also nice to be able to own real nice things that you enjoy.
I would love to have an SQ2 or a Delite.

I can't tell the difference between some mid level kits and some pro kits.
__________________
I kind of like old drums:)

Last edited by bobdadruma; 08-01-2011 at 02:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-04-2011, 01:57 AM
topgun2021's Avatar
topgun2021 topgun2021 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: , Minneapolis Area, Minnesota
Posts: 1,283
Default Re: Drumheads?

The price difference COULDN'T POSSIBLY be part of the materials used that don't necessarily effect drum tone. But yeah, obviously science and wood type make a difference.

Maybe go with something simple, like a 1 ply coated set.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com