DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 07-13-2011, 01:09 AM

Default Looking for electronic kit to practice on at home...

I recently started looking for an electronic drum kit, because me playing an acoustic one bothered my family and neibghours at times.

So, my budget would be around 1200 dollars, maybe a bit more, and i'm looking for a good quality and realistic feel e-kit for practicing... Also i would like a kit that i can make some upgrades on later like add another drum etc.( i guess it isn't possible for a kit at this price range anyway )

It would be cool if you could give your opinions from your experience too... As I said, i need an e-kit for home practice and maybe some little gigging

Thanks
Old 07-13-2011, 02:11 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Looking for electronic kit to practice on at home...

After having been in on the MIDI revolution in the early 80s and owning a Roland TD-10 V-drum kit (and lots of things in between) I'm a bit down on electronic percussion. I realize you need something to practice on and maybe do some small gigs with, so I'm assuming you already have a nice acoustic kit to play out on should you get a big enough gig?

Have you considered a small little kit, like a Sonor Safari? I had one, and outfitted it with mesh heads and it made the best practice set. Then you'd have an actual little acoustic set for any small gigs, and it only cost $339 for the drums. Another $60 for the mesh heads. You can spend the rest of the money you saved on more or better cymbals.

I get the fact that everyone thinks eDrums are the way to go, but in my experience, they'll never feel like the real thing, and with all the technological advances, they still don't react the same way. Even the Roland TD-20 kit has a horrible time doing buzz rolls. And then if you actually did do a gig with an eKit, you still need your own amplification, which is a whole 'nother headache by itself. Give some thought to this whole electronic percussion business, you might be able to practice in peace and quiet, but there's going to be a trade-off in technique and musicality that you may lose over time as well.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:20 AM
Platinum Member

Like Bo said, Edrums never quite feel or react as real as acoustics.

But if you live in an apartment, or such where volume is an an issue, e-drums are great for practicing. I had one for years and years. I don't regret buying it at all.

Anyhow, stick with either Roland or Yamaha. Don't bother with the rest.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:07 AM

Well thanks for the advice,

Although I really need an e-kit, the thing Bo said was cool, but not in my case... what i need is an kit that you can play putting on headphones, so that nobody else can hear you.

I surely know that an e-kit will never feel like real kit, but are there some you can enjoy playing on?

Also which Yamaha or Roland Kit would be good?

And with "small gigging" I meant REALLY small gigs, like for some family celebration or i don't know...
Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr1sh View Post
Although I really need an e-kit, the thing Bo said was cool, but not in my case... what i need is an kit that you can play putting on headphones, so that nobody else can hear you.
You have to understand, you're still hitting something ... and that's gonna make noise .... lots of people have gone down this same path, only to find out their apartment neighbors still hear the tap, tap, taps .... and scream .... so you need to get into a store and play/hear some .... and judge for yourself.
Quote:
I surely know that an e-kit will never feel like real kit, but are there some you can enjoy playing on?
Everyone "enjoys" different things ... this guy seems to enjoy his Yamaha ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs5Bj-b1VI0 and it's not even a real expensive one.
Quote:
I have a Roland TD-7 and a Yamaha DTxpress, I like the Yamaha sounds better ... Yamaha, since they make acoustic drums, samples all their own drums ...
Roland, on the "other" hand, is the largest drum manufacturer in the world ... and they don't even make acoustic drums. They are top notch, no doubt about that.
Quote:
And with "small gigging" I meant REALLY small gigs, like for some family celebration or i don't know...
I have 6 amps in my jam room ... three Roland PM-1's and three Roland KC-100's. 60 watts each. Any one of those, plenty enough volume for "small gigs" ... The PM-1's are made for e-drums, and make good bass amps, the KC-100;s are keyboard amps, and work well for guitar, keyboards, etc.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
If your budget is $1200 or under and you're not opposed to used..look at the Yamaha DTXpress IV V2 (special edition)...you could find one used for probably $800-$950..if new is what you want then look at the Yamaha DTX530 ($1199) or DTX560 ($1759)..RMCaudio can probably do better than these prices new...
Old 07-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Well, if you have to do it, then do it right. The Roland's with the mesh heads (an old TD-10 kit or the new TD-20 would be the best way to go. I think the TD-20 will run you over $6K. Because of the mesh heads, you get very little extraneous stick-hitting-pad sound, almost silent, but not quite. It is quieter than the harder rubber pad sets. But the sound will be about as quiet as a regular drumset with mesh heads on it, so it's a "six of one, half a dozen of the other" situation.

Edit: sorry. Didn't see your budget is under $1200....maybe you could find a used TD-10 kit in the $1100 range.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

It's better to buy a good e-kit second hand than to buy a cheap e-kit. - Just make sure the triggers are still responsive.

I bought a cheapo for $700 - that's dirt cheap for an ekit in Oz - to get US prices, divide between 2 and 3. The kit was terrible. The triggers were so uneven that I never had a realistic idea of what I was doing. I now have a small practice pad kit and I'm much happier with it. Much better for my playing - what I give is what I get - no handicaps and no help.

The Yammies are much better bang for the buck than the Rolands. Only bummer is they don't have the mesh heads, which feel nice (maybe too nice).

I agree with everything Bo said but unless you're keen on playing tender and tasty rather than dynamic and thrilling, then an acoustic kit is going to be too intrusive for many homes.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:05 AM

I have a Yamaha DTX Xtreme III (w/rubber pads) and I love it. I practice starting at 6 am every morning. The only sound that makes it through the porch door is the thumping of the kick. A mesh head would have helped there. Bo's suggestion of buying a kit and adding mesh heads is a great idea. Yes you loose your e sound but you gain the technique of working a real kit. Also most E kits are kind of ugly with all of those wires going every where and then what happens when your module goes dead? It's all a tradeoff.
If you do go E IMHO look hard at Yamaha..bang for the buck and better overall sound. Rolands are nice but they are way overpriced.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:20 PM

Oh,

There is one thing i didnt mention, i have played an millenium e kit with achurch band, well it wasnt that bad, but still buzz rolls and doubles were a bit hard to play...

So i wanted to know if there was an e kit with a better feel...

And i live in a house, so the little tapping doesnt bother me

Last edited by Kr1sh; 07-14-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh,

There is one thing i didnt mention, i have played an millenium e kit with achurch band, well it wasnt that bad, but still buzz rolls and doubles were a bit hard to play...

So i wanted to know if there was an e kit with a better feel?
Again, you're back to looking at the Roland V-Drums. Really, if you're not prepared to spend that kind of money, then you deal with a crappy feel and never being able to execute a good buzz roll....playing dynamically is somewhat out of the question too when comparing how an eKit reacts to an aKit.