DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-11-2011, 08:44 PM

Default DW 9000 cymbal stands - worth it?

Hey y'all, I'm just looking for the pros and cons of DW's 9000 series cymbal stands to determine whether or not I should get some. I've got 9000 kicks and hi-hat stand and I'm absolutely in love with them but I'm just wondering how good the cymbal stands are.

Thanks guys!

My kit
Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: DW 9000 cymbal stands - worth it?

The 9000 stands are great, but they are heavy.

You can get the same quality, features, and basically all the stability you'll likely need from the 7000 series.

The weight difference between the 7000 single brace, and the (whatever number it is now) MEDIUM weight double brace is not much at all.

If you aren't moving gear for gigging, and you want stands you wouldn't ever have to replace, yes, the 9000 gear is fantastic.

The tilter, cymbal space adjustment, and the integrated memory locks are 3 features that make DW about the best hardware you can buy IMO.

Other brand stands work and perform great too, but to answer the question, yes, they are worth it.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:11 AM
audiotech

I agree that the DW 9000 series hardware are worth it and they are probably one of the heaviest of all hardware on the market. When you position a 9000 series stand, it won't move until you move it. This and the adjustable cymbal sleeve is what really got me interested. You probably know this, but with the adjustable sleeve, you can fully tighten the wing nut of the stand and then adjust the sleeve downward to give you exactly the tension you desire between the cymbal felts. This makes for very fast set-ups and you know that the wing nuts won't be flying into the audience, lol. I've been using this series for about 10 months and don't have any negative issues with it.

Dennis
Old 07-12-2011, 06:15 AM
Pioneer Member

I have a large set of 9000 hardware and it's definitely top notch.

It is such a drag to gig with it because of the weight. I bought 11 medium duty PDP boom stands a few years ago for $24 bucks each when they were on sale. They're less than half the weight with no frills but they're surprisingly solid.

I'll agree that the 9000s are sturdy. You could pole dance with them, but I prefer to set them up when one of my kits is going to be set up for a while.

When I have to do frequent set ups and tear downs, I go with the lighter stuff.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Gold Member

I have all 9000 series DW hardware. Maybe a DW bias here, but I chose the 9000 series stands so I could load them up with at least 2 tom, and 2 cymbals.

I've got a 10" Tom, with a 16" + 18" + 10" crash/splash.
Also have a 12" tom with 20" crash and 18" China that gets smacked often. These things don't budge and are fricken heavy. My only other upgrade would be a rack.

The 9000's are great if you're strictly studio, because of their weight. If you do gig with them, the memory locks will set you up pretty quick. They are quite heavy.

I would say worth it if you are loading heavy gear on them, at least 2-3 items. Otherwise, there are some other great alternatives in various makes. I got mine on clearance sale, so I couldn't pass it up.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2011, 11:33 AM
Silver Member

So worth it bought a HH 2 booms and a straight 5 years ago. They have been gigged a lot and are as rock solid as the day I bought them.

I usually gig only 2 dw9000 boom stands and 1 pdp stand (for a 20" china) to save a little weight. I think the weight trade off is worth it for the 2 booms for the nice memory locks, but the pdp i've left a straight stand and the height set, and just know i always play it with the legs extended all the way out so it remains in the same position. Over like 4ish years the pdp has a little play in the legs but it's not bad enough to warrant a replace yet. If you have the cash then it's nice to not ever need to worry about it. No DW bias here (never owned a dw kit or snare) just tried all the stands and picked these tanks.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:50 AM

Well that does it, I'm definitely picking some 9000s up! I knew they were infinitely adjustable but I just wanted to make sure the adjustability options were legit and weren't just some sort of marketing ploy. A lot of you mentioned they were heavy but that really doesn't bother me. In all honesty, I use large cymbals and I hit pretty hard so I'm glad they're heavy. I will be lugging them around quite a bit but I can't imagine it being worst than lugging my actual drums around.

Thanks for your input guys, I'd love to hear some more!

My kit
Old 07-13-2011, 03:51 AM
Gold Member

BTW, Evilbagua hit it right on the mark. While I chose DW hardware based on my experience with their drums and pedals, there are many pro drummers that only use their hardware and not their drums.

Audiotech brought up a good point about the adjustable sleeves. You can actually shorten or increase the distance of threading on your sleeves so when you tighten down the wing nut, you get the exact play you want. I have some PDP cymbal sleeves where I want to tighten down the wing nut fully, but can't because it is dangerously tight on the bell.

Oh...forgot to mention...BUY THEM ON SALE IF YOU CAN!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:36 PM
Gold Member

ive gone thru alot of hardware over the years and ive found that the top line of dixon is as good and anything out there, as well as being less than half the price, ive had virtually no repairs on any of my road gear in almost 10 years where as some of the brand name stuff has broken just using it at home in half the time, but thats just my 2 cents worth.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 PM

I recently grew tired of all the tripods I was lugging around (including an extra snare stand for my 12" tom). I was using medium weight Sonor and Pearl stands, mounting one cymbal per stand (worked fine, but A LOT of legs to deal with). I had two Tama Titan stands laying around (pretty heavy stuff), so I bought a few multi clamps, and I now mount a 12" tom and 5 cymbals on 2 tripods. If you're looking to do something similar, then the 9000's would be ideal, but if you're just going to mount one instrument per stand, I would go with some medium-heavy stuff such as Tama RoadPro or something similar from Gibraltar. I also find it easier to set my kit up in smaller venues, not worrying how to zigzag all those legs in a tight area.