Tony Thompson

Bonzodownunder

G'day drummer lads&mates worldwide! :).Does anyone on here know what other drum mags besides MD(Modern Drummer) featured or had a article/story on the late &great Tony Thompson?.All i could find out was a december '85 MD issue&a MD online(web) extremly short interview on him! :(.I also assumed&thought that he switched from Yamaha to DW? does anyone know what brand&model sticks &heads he used?.
Anyone have any Yamaha or Zildjian Tony Thompson posters for sale?
ta lads/mates! :)
Ado.
P.S.Apologies if there's a TT(Tony Thompson) thread on here?.

I just dig this dude. I heard the long version of Im coming out the other day and didn't remember that cool intro with Tony playing sparse fills to the main groove (or whatever you'd call what he's doing). Here's a few of my faves of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbYcte4ZEgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUuSEvzjYIc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9kKjA

Love his doo doo doodoo blatt fill...

any other Tony fans...lemme hear it!

Ya liked his stuff with Bowie.
Interesting structure on the Diana Ross tune. They kind of hold off getting started and kicking in to the 1st verse for about 50 secs. Tony with some sparse flams and kick drum fills. Pretty cool.

Tony was the coolest. Another one gone much too soon!

If you get a chance, check out his performance with the PowerStation on the Live Aid DVD set. The man could SLAM. He also did a great job backing up Led Zeppelin at Live Aid too, although that didn't make the cut for the Live Aid DVD - I think Jimmy Page hated it so much he wanted those tapes destroyed (Phil Collins was of no help as the second drummer, either).

Saw him live with Bowie on serious moonlight tour. 1983 maybe? What a band with Earl Slick, Tony Thompson and the Tower of Power horn section.

Love this man, whether he's still here or not!

I could listen to him all day, I think back at the time Bowie was not enthused about the Let's Dance record but to this day I LOVE it

I remember his MD interview, the man himself said something to the effect of yes I slam, it's just the way I play. Crank up Let's Dance and just try to resist, I dare ya!

I hadn't realised what you meant by the Doo Doo Doodoo Blatt fill until I put Let's Dance on. Growing up listening to Tony Thompson's work with The Power Station I will proudly state that it's a fill I ripped off shamelessly from him and use to this day when I get the chance.

Just listened to "Modern Love" today, what a great drum track. He didn't do the "pile driver" on every track, like "Addicted To Love". He was a Bonham guy and had taste. Miss him a lot!

Dan

Still love Tony Thompson. I have "Modern Love" on single, but (and don't hate me for saying it) the timing goes up and down so badly! I always love to hear him live - but to have had that on record was shocking!

But, his Chic work, his session work, as well as The Power Station - WOW!

If anyone has the second album, Living In fear, this shows Tony at his best IMO!

What drive... what power... what GROOVE! I still miss him.

Still love Tony Thompson. I have "Modern Love" on single, but (and don't hate me for saying it) the timing goes up and down so badly! I always love to hear him live - but to have had that on record was shocking!

But, his Chic work, his session work, as well as The Power Station - WOW!

If anyone has the second album, Living In fear, this shows Tony at his best IMO!

What drive... what power... what GROOVE! I still miss him.

No need to hate you for saying it, but that's why they call it rock and roll. :) That, and it's the primary performer's call whether or not he likes the track.

Absolutely love him. Such a signature sound. Can't help but want to pound the skins anytime you hear any of his mid-1980's work (Power Station, Bowie, etc.)

A big "what if" is what we might have enjoyed if the Power Station could have kept the original lineup together for 2 or 3 more albums?

Back