DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 11-17-2014, 11:28 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default White meat or dark?

With Thanksgiving coming up here in the States, it is with burning curiosity that has been plauging me since joining here....are you a white meat or dark meat type person? Also any of your traditional grip Thanksgiving activities are certainly fair game here.

Do any of the other countries have a similar family holiday this time of year? It's my favorite holiday, like Independence Day, because it's pretty un-commercialized by comparison to Christmas.

Smallest Thanksgiving in a long time, my wife, my Mom, and myself. Maybe a young couple we know and their 1 YO for dessert. That's right, we're having the 1 YO for dessert lol. Eagles vs Dallas. Mashed turnips, real stuffing, hand made pumpkin and apple pie w/ raisins, (made with honeycrisp apples) mmmm.

I like the dark meat, but do a little white too. We've got a free roaming pastured organic turkey from Wisconsin coming. $106 shipped in dry ice. Youch! Turkey in the mail!

I'll let you know if it was worth it.

Gomez Addams
Old 11-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: White meat or dark?

I'm partial to white meat, Larry. I think because white meat became so much the rage for health reasons (although that's all being revisited now), I grew to love it. As a kid, I liked the drumstick (no joke) best.

One other Thanksgiving meal item that I'm infatuated with now is Honeybaked Ham. Not just any ham, but this fine, local brand. http://www.honeybaked.com/
Old 11-17-2014, 11:39 PM
"Uncle Larry"

So you have ham and turkey Lar? Big family? I like when there's a lot of people at the Thanksgiving table. The dark meat is juicier to me, and has fuller flavor. Plus it's neglected. Everyone wants white meat. I feel bad for the dark meat. So I eat it lol.

Gomez Addams
Old 11-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

We don't have anything like Thanksgiving, which is fine by me as I don't like turkey or pumpkin!

Dark meat for me, every time, which is why I prefer goose to turkey for Christmas. I honestly don't think I've ever eaten turkey that tastes of anything at all, be it never so organic/free range/all singing all dancing.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
So you have ham and turkey Lar? Big family? I like when there's a lot of people at the Thanksgiving table. The dark meat is juicier to me, and has fuller flavor. Plus it's neglected. Everyone wants white meat. I feel bad for the dark meat. So I eat it lol.
I've always been a dark meat sort of guy, but white meat every once in a while is a bit refreshing.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

Being a vegetarian, the part I like about Thanksgiving is that I have a retort when everyone tells me I can't have drum sticks at the dinner table.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:46 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
We don't have anything like Thanksgiving, which is fine by me as I don't like turkey or pumpkin!

Dark meat for me, every time, which is why I prefer goose to turkey for Christmas. I honestly don't think I've ever eaten turkey that tastes of anything at all, be it never so organic/free range/all singing all dancing.
Goose! There's something you rarely see for sale over here. We have Canadian geese by the billions here. Would a Canadian goose count as the kind you guys eat over there? I'd eat a Canadian goose. We're kind of over run with them. We could stand to eat a few hundred thousand.

Gomez Addams
Old 11-18-2014, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Goose! There's something you rarely see for sale over here. We have Canadian geese by the billions here. Would a Canadian goose count as the kind you guys eat over there? I'd eat a Canadian goose. We're kind of over run with them. We could stand to eat a few hundred thousand.
Geese are coming back into popularity here. They used to be traditional, as turkeys aren't native to our shores, but then turkeys were introduced and because they can be produced more intensively than geese, who are very exacting and demanding, they became more popular as they were cheaper.

The geese we eat are the white domestic ones. Canadian geese visit during the winter but AFAIK nobody eats them; maybe they're protected. Maybe they're just not meaty enough: I can imagine they'd need to be pretty rugged and resilient!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

Dark meat is my preference. On occasion we order a Turduchen. If you've never had one, I highly recommend them - delicious!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:19 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Whats a turduchen? It's sounds appalling lol.

Gomez Addams
Old 11-18-2014, 12:31 AM
Silver Member

I guess it can sound weird if you don't know what is is or never had it, Larry.

Spelled phonetically (for pronunciation purpose) tur-duck-hen. A de - boned chicken stuffed into a de - boned duck stuffed into a partially de - boned turkey. The turkey still has it's drumsticks and wings. Each bird is stuffed with your choice of stuffing (my fave for this dish is good ol' cornbread) but they have jambalaya, sausage creole, several choices for stuffing.

My son and I, as well as guests we've shared Thanksgiving with love these.

P.S. I see that I mis-spelled in my original post. It's turduckhen.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:03 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I just saw turd and mentally hurled lol. But yea, it does sound delectable, especially with all the other goodies you mentioned. Maybe I can talk my wife into doing that one year.

Gomez Addams
Old 11-18-2014, 01:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Mashed turnips, real stuffing, hand made pumpkin and apple pie w/ raisins, (made with honeycrisp apples) mmmm.
When I (hopefully) turn up at your place early next year for a weekend hang, can I expect such a feast Larry? :)
Old 11-18-2014, 01:21 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
When I (hopefully) turn up at your place early next year for a weekend hang, can I expect such a feast Larry? :)
It would be a privilege sir. Consider it done.

Gomez Addams
Old 11-18-2014, 01:22 AM
Administrator

I like it all, but I especially like the fact that I am off all week and will be flying to Maryland to be with Grunter, his wife and two grand lads. Also my older sister. Pass the sweet potatos
Old 11-18-2014, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
It's turduckhen.
Funny. I saw one of these being prepared on some cooking show within the last week or two. Until that point, I never knew such a thing existed. It was without doubt, one of the most visually unappealing things I've ever seen served on a plate. Flat, lifeless, rubbery looking carcasses all stuffed inside one another didn't look like my idea of fine feasting at all. I sincerely hope they taste better than they look, but I was left with the distinct impression that I was in no hurry to find out.

We don't do Thanksgiving in Oz either. But I've never been one to discriminate on my proteins. White meat, dark meat, red meat, fish or sea food, I'll take it all. As long as there's something on the plate to mask the taste of the vegetables that are sitting there with it, I'll be content.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I just saw turd and mentally hurled lol. But yea, it does sound delectable, especially with all the other goodies you mentioned. Maybe I can talk my wife into doing that one year.
My best laugh of the day (and much needed). Thank you Larry!
Platinum Member

I usually just go straight for the Crown Royal and eat later (if there's any food left).
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
It was without doubt, one of the most visually unappealing things I've ever seen served on a plate. Flat, lifeless, rubbery looking carcasses all stuffed inside one another didn't look like my idea of fine feasting at all.
Leave it to Pocket to tell it like it really is.

Gomez Addams
Old 11-18-2014, 01:30 AM
Silver Member

I mix it up...I like both. My wife is probably a chef (she's an outstanding, passionate and loving cook), although her wonderful culinary output is reserved for the family.

We have a close relationship with a fresh food/organic "farm" in Temecula and place an order for a Turkey each year; Very fresh! ~$40

My wife has a large family all of whom are right here in SoCal. We visit one of her sister's each year who are also excellent cooks.

I throw back as much as I can and watch NFL...is it not American? lol
Old 11-18-2014, 01:36 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Funny that there is an ad for Butterball Turkey on my ad banner on this thread. Targeted marketing at work.

Gomez Addams
Old 11-18-2014, 01:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
... I honestly don't think I've ever eaten turkey that tastes of anything at all, be it never so organic/free range/all singing all dancing.
My MIL cooks turkey by placing it overnight in the warming drawer.

It's delicious, and tastes like acshil food instead of the usual taste of turkey, which is like sawdust without the fine flavour. (Flavor for our Thanksgiving-celebrating cousins.)
Old 11-18-2014, 01:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Funny. I saw one of these being prepared on some cooking show within the last week or two. Until that point, I never knew such a thing existed. It was without doubt, one of the most visually unappealing things I've ever seen served on a plate. Flat, lifeless, rubbery looking carcasses all stuffed inside one another didn't look like my idea of fine feasting at all. I sincerely hope they taste better than they look, but I was left with the distinct impression that I was in no hurry to find out.

We don't do Thanksgiving in Oz either. But I've never been one to discriminate on my proteins. White meat, dark meat, red meat, fish or sea food, I'll take it all. As long as there's something on the plate to mask the taste of the vegetables that are sitting there with it, I'll be content.
I guess it can depend on the chef who puts it together, or maybe it's just something you aren't used to. I don't know, didn't see the one you described above.

But yeah, you need to be prepared ahead of time. A turduckhen doesn't look all "full" on the platter when finished cooking like a turkey or goose does. It's from all the de - boning of the birds. They do look a little flat.

But don't let those looks ward you off; these things are delicious!
Old 11-18-2014, 01:41 AM
Silver Member

Larry, if you and your wife decide to order one for a future Thanksgiving I recommend Cajun Grocer. They do everything for you, including seasoning.

You just defrost and roast it.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:54 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I'll run it by Mrs. Ace to see what her thoughts are. She is getting pretty good at cooking and would be crazy enough to try it. But if you recommend it, that's good enough for me. Thanks Derek. Cajun Grocer.

Gomez Addams
Old 11-18-2014, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
We sometimes have both turkey and ham. Part of it is that we have a joke going that my brother loves the ham so much that he'll eat the entire thing by himself over the course of a long weekend. I think he eats a ton of it now just to live up to the joke!
Old 11-18-2014, 03:46 AM
Platinum Member

I like white and dark meat turkey. Another traditional dish that I like to enjoy on Thanksgiving is lobster. I'll be having just turkey this year with all the trimmings and this and that, but I really like to have lobster on Thanksgiving also.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:07 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Lobster is good anytime. Never heard of it on TG though. Nice.

Gomez Addams
Old 11-18-2014, 04:50 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'll eat what ever turkey meat you put in front of me - Im not picky when it comes to turkey.

BTW, Larry they're Canada Geese - not Canadian. The geese have no political affiliation.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
BTW, Larry they're Canada Geese - not Canadian. The geese have no political affiliation.
LOL, thanks for posting that, because I was just sitting here debating whether I should say anything, haha!

Ahem... Back to the original question. I like both!

I was sort of dreading Thanksgiving this year, my first one since my divorce and a summer of homeless wandering, but I got invited to a celebration given by a couple who supports the local music scene enthusiastically. They invite musicians who would otherwise not have family, etc. to celebrate with. So, I am very thankful for them and I will happily eat whatever they serve and enjoy the company of my musician buddies.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
hand made pumpkin and apple pie w/ raisins
What I am wondering is how on earth do you manage to hand make your own pumpkins?

Quote:
Whats a turduchen? It's sounds appalling lol.
It is a winner. It's a chicken inside a duck inside a turkey. Dunno how they grow them like that, but they are delicious!

I'm an all type of meat guy as long as it is meat..
Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
My MIL cooks turkey by placing it overnight in the warming drawer.

It's delicious, and tastes like acshil food instead of the usual taste of turkey, which is like sawdust without the fine flavour. (Flavor for our Thanksgiving-celebrating cousins.)
What's a warming drawer? Mr Madge always cooks Christmas dinner (and Sunday dinner), and he does it impeccably, but I still won't eat the turkey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
I've always called them Canada geese, but I assumed (serves me right) that Larry, being North American, probably knew better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I got invited to a celebration given by a couple who supports the local music scene enthusiastically. They invite musicians who would otherwise not have family, etc. to celebrate with. So, I am very thankful for them and I will happily eat whatever they serve and enjoy the company of my musician buddies.
That's lovely! I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Old 11-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Renegade

Any meat that is not cruelly factory farmed and pumped full of hormones.

I'm looking forward to insects being broadly on the market at sensible prices. High protein, low fat, a plentiful sustainable supply ... and I hear they can be yummily crunchy when cooked right :)

YouTube

Off-the-wall
Old 11-18-2014, 12:55 PM
Senior Consultant

I like a little white and dark turkey together. Could never eat duck, just fatty and gross for my taste. Never tried goose but if it's anything like duck, I'm out.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
What's a warming drawer?
It's the drawer in an oven that is used to make the plates warm for posh dining.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
Could never eat duck, just fatty and gross for my taste. Never tried goose but if it's anything like duck, I'm out.
Yes, it is very fatty, and goose fat makes THE best roast potatoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
It's the drawer in an oven that is used to make the plates warm for posh dining.
Oh, get you!

I expect we have one. I'll ask Chef ;)
Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

One of the best things about cooking a turkey is making a post Thanksgiving turkey soup using the carcass. Yum! I like soup
Old 11-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Any meat that is not cruelly factory farmed and pumped full of hormones.

I'm looking forward to insects being broadly on the market at sensible prices. High protein, low fat, a plentiful sustainable supply ... and I hear they can be yummily crunchy when cooked right :)
I've seen some giant-ass cockroaches on the east coast of the states here. Maybe some day the family will be gathered around dad carving up the thanksgiving cockroach.

At any rate, I like thanksgiving more than christmas. At least here, christmas has been totally and completely ruined by the consumerism that gets literally rabid. The sense of duty to buy everyone crappy things they don't really need thereby binding that person to in-tern give a gift is just sickening to me. I have family members who set aside more than a thousand dollars to buy crap for their family/friends.

For about the last 5 years, I have refused to give any gifts, and I refuse to accept any. People lose their shit over this. If they really can't handle not spending money "for me" I ask them to genuinely help someone else who needs it. No toys or useless items or clothes, but genuine help. Don't even have to buy something... Maybe just use a skill you have to help them out at no cost.

But thanksgiving is still what chrismas should be. Spending time with the people who are important to you. Getting together and sharing a meal. Inviting those who don't have somewhere to share a meal over to yours. It's really a nice-energy thing. Chrismas just feels nasty now. All the retailers see dollar signs.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
In the state of Oaxaca they enjoy chapulines. Fried crickets with tasty chile power on them. Apparently they're a great snack to have with beer.

I just found a pretty good Oaxacan restaurant very close to my house that sell them.

As for the Turkey, I like a couple of slices of white meat and a slice of dark. Then I cover everything in gravy and consume till I hate myself. I love Thanksgiving...
Old 11-18-2014, 06:40 PM

White meat and white meat only...

Paiste
Formula 602
Dimensions
RUDE
Sabian AAX

Ludwig
Iron Cobra