DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-29-2011, 02:50 AM
Joey182's Avatar
Joey182 Joey182 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 638
Default Drum recording questions.

So I have money to buy recording equipment for Youtube videos. I would like to know a full list of everything I will need to start such as "Mics, Audio Interface, Cables,etc...) I have no idea what I need to buy to get this all started.
Please also give a suggestion with everything. I would like to keep costs low.
I am recording with a 6 piece Gretsch, and I have 6 cymbals (crash1, crash2, ride, china, splash, and hats of course).
Let me know how many mics I need and how much I am looking at spending. THANK YOU!
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/chrometrees
SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATES!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-29-2011, 03:07 AM
Mapex----Maniac's Avatar
Mapex----Maniac Mapex----Maniac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

I'm in the same boat as you, and have found recording to be expensive than originally thought, but here is what you need to get started:

Audio interface
Mics
Mic stands cables
Software
(maybe a mixer, but not needed)

If you want to get a good sound out of your drums, and be relatively cheap I would either get 4 or 6 mics, depending on your budget

4 mics:
Bass drum mic
snare mic
2 condenser mics

6 mics:
Bass drum mic
Snare mic
2 condenser mics
2 Tom mics( one for the Tom toms, one for the floor toms)

The 4 mics is obviously going to be cheaper.

If you were to give me a budget, I could give you better suggestions
But for now let's say you have $800

For a budget o $800( my budget as well I would get 4 mics.

I would suggest 2 akg c1000's(condensers) shure sm57(snare),and a shure sm58(bass)

Even though traditionally a sm58 is not made to record a bass you can still get a very good sound, very cheap. The sm58 is also a very versatile mic(vocals,acoustic, ect)

For an audio interface I would get the zoom r16, which comes with Cubase le(software).

Stands and cables are up to you

Akg c1000-used-$100 each(x2)
Sm57-used-$50
Sm58-used-$50
Zoom r16-new+Cubase-$350
cables/stands-100-150

Hope that helps :)
__________________
It's not the instrument that makes you sound good, it's you that makes the instrument sound good.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-29-2011, 03:10 AM
makinao's Avatar
makinao makinao is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 483
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

Didn't you already ask this in another thread?

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=70668
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-29-2011, 03:11 AM
Mapex----Maniac's Avatar
Mapex----Maniac Mapex----Maniac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinao View Post
Didn't you already ask this in another thread?

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=70668
Don't even tell me I wrote all of that for nothing!
__________________
It's not the instrument that makes you sound good, it's you that makes the instrument sound good.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-29-2011, 03:34 AM
simmsdn simmsdn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 594
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

I guess the first round of answers weren't good enough...must have been a bunch of lies...it can't possibly cost that much to do it right?
__________________
Ludwig Drums; TaylorMade Golf Clubs
http://www.youtube.com/zombie13studio
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-29-2011, 03:43 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 10,007
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex----Maniac View Post
Don't even tell me I wrote all of that for nothing!
You ain't the first.....even sader still is the fact that you won't be the last either. :-)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-29-2011, 03:45 AM
Nodiggie's Avatar
Nodiggie Nodiggie is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cowtown
Posts: 1,370
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
You ain't the first.....even sader still is the fact that you won't be the last either. :-)
I was wondering when the replies would start and what would be said...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-29-2011, 03:49 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 10,007
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodiggie View Post
I was wondering when the replies would start and what would be said...
Harsh? Possibly.

Fair? Hell yes.

I'm sorry guys, I don't wanna come off as a prick but the kid's gotta learn. Way too many people here invest the time and effort into Joey's countless number of duplicated threads only to be ignored so he can start a new one. Dunno about anyone else, but I'm over it. It's time to sit up and start paying attention.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-29-2011, 03:57 AM
Joey182's Avatar
Joey182 Joey182 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 638
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex----Maniac View Post
I'm in the same boat as you, and have found recording to be expensive than originally thought, but here is what you need to get started:

Audio interface
Mics
Mic stands cables
Software
(maybe a mixer, but not needed)

If you want to get a good sound out of your drums, and be relatively cheap I would either get 4 or 6 mics, depending on your budget

4 mics:
Bass drum mic
snare mic
2 condenser mics

6 mics:
Bass drum mic
Snare mic
2 condenser mics
2 Tom mics( one for the Tom toms, one for the floor toms)

The 4 mics is obviously going to be cheaper.

If you were to give me a budget, I could give you better suggestions
But for now let's say you have $800

For a budget o $800( my budget as well I would get 4 mics.

I would suggest 2 akg c1000's(condensers) shure sm57(snare),and a shure sm58(bass)

Even though traditionally a sm58 is not made to record a bass you can still get a very good sound, very cheap. The sm58 is also a very versatile mic(vocals,acoustic, ect)

For an audio interface I would get the zoom r16, which comes with Cubase le(software).

Stands and cables are up to you

Akg c1000-used-$100 each(x2)
Sm57-used-$50
Sm58-used-$50
Zoom r16-new+Cubase-$350
cables/stands-100-150

Hope that helps :)
OK. I've heard great things about sm57-58. But finding them used may be a problem. I've searched Craigslist, but no-one sells recording stuff locally! I don't like eBay for some reason... But that's besides the fact.
I will probably go just 4 mics. I've seen and heard great results from that set-up.
Any idea on video stuff to sync it all together?
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/chrometrees
SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATES!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-29-2011, 03:59 AM
Nodiggie's Avatar
Nodiggie Nodiggie is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cowtown
Posts: 1,370
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Harsh? Possibly.

Fair? Hell yes.

I'm sorry guys, I don't wanna come off as a prick but the kid's gotta learn. Way too many people here invest the time and effort into Joey's countless number of duplicated threads only to be ignored so he can start a new one. Dunno about anyone else, but I'm over it. It's time to sit up and start paying attention.
rofl, comon' Pockets. This forum is fun, informative, educational, controversial, rude, and yes at times entertaining. I love it!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-29-2011, 05:55 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey182 View Post
Any idea on video stuff to sync it all together?
Yes, drop frame time code.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Mapex----Maniac's Avatar
Mapex----Maniac Mapex----Maniac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey182 View Post
OK. I've heard great things about sm57-58. But finding them used may be a problem. I've searched Craigslist, but no-one sells recording stuff locally! I don't like eBay for some reason... But that's besides the fact.
I will probably go just 4 mics. I've seen and heard great results from that set-up.
Any idea on video stuff to sync it all together?
Are you kidding me?

I understand that it might be hard to find akg c1000's used on craigslist but I found at least 5 sm57's and 5 sm58's in tampa florida(30 minutes away) in a matter of 10 seconds.
__________________
It's not the instrument that makes you sound good, it's you that makes the instrument sound good.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-30-2011, 04:16 AM
simmsdn simmsdn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 594
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex----Maniac View Post
Are you kidding me?

I understand that it might be hard to find akg c1000's used on craigslist but I found at least 5 sm57's and 5 sm58's in tampa florida(30 minutes away) in a matter of 10 seconds.
I think every music store, pawn shop, and Craigslist has SM57/58s for $40-60 each. Really not much difference between them either (same capsule and body).
__________________
Ludwig Drums; TaylorMade Golf Clubs
http://www.youtube.com/zombie13studio
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-30-2011, 05:47 AM
flicky flicky is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Port, FL
Posts: 191
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey182 View Post
I would like to keep costs low. and how much I am looking at spending. THANK YOU!
What kind of budget are we talking about? That makes a BiG difference.

Ok, seen your other thread.
__________________
I play Gretsch Drums, Remo Heads, Sabian Cymbals and Vic Firth AC 2b's wood tip

Last edited by flicky; 06-30-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Joey182's Avatar
Joey182 Joey182 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 638
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

My budget is 600$ at a maximum. I'll definitely check out a Pawn Shop.. I've never been in one though...
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/chrometrees
SUBSCRIBE FOR UPDATES!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-03-2011, 04:31 PM
toddy's Avatar
toddy toddy is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: isle of wight/london
Posts: 1,633
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

your budget kills some of the mics that are being talked about in this thread. if i was in your position i would get a kick mic, an sm57, & two pencil condensers (rode, joe meek, sennheiser, etc) . place the overheads X/Y and you should be able to hear everything, just make sure you don't hit the cymbals louder than the drums.

you'll probably want some sort of interface too, one with 4 mic inputs.you'll find something by mbox, focusrite, motu, etc. i suggest you search a forum called gearslutz for opinions on mics/whatever, you'll find a lot of info there, maybe too much. maybe you're into that sort of thing though.
__________________
::: if required i'll be on a different forum :::
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-03-2011, 07:24 PM
flicky flicky is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Port, FL
Posts: 191
Default Re: Drum recording questions.

Yup, your budget will go fast. If you shop smart you could get some decent stuff but i'm not sure you can get everything you need for 600. If it were me, I would buy stuff that's expandable and you can grow with. Sonar,Protools,Cubase, Motu, Presonus etc...
__________________
I play Gretsch Drums, Remo Heads, Sabian Cymbals and Vic Firth AC 2b's wood tip
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com