DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Nylon vs. Wood tip

I tend to ride hard into my cymbal bell, which means wood tips get sheared through fairly quickly, making for weird dead spots on the tip. I like them but I can't afford to replace them every day or two, so I use mostly nylon tips. I have only ever had two nylon tips "fly off" and those were back in the eighties. Since using them almost exclusively for the last 15 years (and including VF, Pro-Mark and Zildjian), I have never had any issues with breaking or losing a tip.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:46 PM

Nylon tips are mainly for sound purposes for cymbals?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Not so. Nylon tips were developed for lasting where wood tips wear out. They do make a different sound on the cymbals but were made for endurance. I use both depending on the wanted sound.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRummmmmmm View Post
Nylon tips are mainly for sound purposes for cymbals?
If the purpose is to sound horrible.......then job well done. ;-)

Nah mate, Grunter is on the money. Added durability (allegedly). Personally I can't stand them, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't satisfy your enquiring mind and give 'em a go.
Old 01-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
If the purpose is to sound horrible.......then job well done. ;-).
Sorry I have to disagree, I personally like the brighter sound that a nylon top gives on the hats and rides, it allows them to cut thru much better, the durability and consistency from one stick to the next is just a bonus. Plus if you dont like the brighter sound just dont buy such bright cymbals to begin with.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
Sorry I have to disagree, I personally like the brighter sound that a nylon top gives on the hats and rides, it allows them to cut thru much better, the durability and consistency from one stick to the next is just a bonus. Plus if you dont like the brighter sound just dont buy such bright cymbals to begin with.
No worries old mate, it was intended as a joke.....hence the smilie.

Although my hatred for nylon tips is well touted on this forum, I have never done anything but to suggest that others make up their own minds about them. You are free to disagree with me and I with you....that is the power of choice and the benefit of experience for both of us. I've stated my reasons why across many threads (admitedly not this one....but it's getting old....if anyone is interested enough, they can scour old threads and find the refs), but I've always made it clear that it's a personal opinion and not a fact. Which is also the reason why after having a dig at them, I added "but that doesn't mean you shouldn't satisfy your enquiring mind and give 'em a go."

As for the cymbals. I favour brighter cymbals, that's my thing. Why wouldn't I buy bright cymbals if that's what does it for me? I'm certainly not gonna buy a darker cymbal just so that I can hit it with a nylon tip when I don't like nylons in the first instance. That comment makes no sense at all. I just prefer hearing them played with a wood tip is all. To each his own, old mate......for you......and me. :-)

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 01-04-2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:12 AM
Gold Member

There was no problem, I was just agreeing to disagree. If you ever find your self in this part of the world we can go have a pint or 2 and disagree some more...lol.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:07 PM
audiotech

When auditioning cymbals I use the same type of stick that I use when playing for the final decision. Even the type of wood or the construction of the sticks tip will influence the sound of the cymbals. I sometimes use two or three different types of sticks just to hear what sounds I can get out of a cymbal. Since using strictly wooden tips, the nylon sounds a bit too aggressive and not as appealing to my ears.

Dennis
Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
If the purpose is to sound horrible.......then job well done. ;-)

Nah mate, Grunter is on the money. Added durability (allegedly). Personally I can't stand them, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't satisfy your enquiring mind and give 'em a go.
Well I have never used nylon tips :D
Old 01-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

I use Vic Firth 7AN American Classics. I've used wood sticks in the past but I've always had problems with their longevity. It's not so much that the wood tip would chip (if a wood tip could chip wood :D ), but that as you played on the ride or hi-hats, the tip would flatten out and lose the bead shape. It becomes unresponsive, and feels horrible by that point.

It seems many have had problems with nylon tip longevity but it may depend on the style you play (I've never experienced a tip fly off) and the technology (many of you say it happened years ago and not nowadays). If you play death metal where you hit really hard, I could imagine the nylon tip chipping and flying off, but playing normal rock or jazz I don't see it going anywhere.

Personally, I like the bright nylon sound and not having to replace my sticks every day. I can't afford it!