DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-17-2011, 06:40 AM

Default Bass Drum sounds like paper?

Alright.

I reskinned my entire kit, and I also got some EMAD2's for my double kicks. Except, the thing is, they both sound like paper! I've tried tuning them pretty tight, but it sounds terrible, and the normal tightness, even looser, sound like paper! I put the stickers on, where the kicks hit, and it still sounds like it. I also put the foam loop in there, again, same sound.

What's going on?
Old 06-17-2011, 06:47 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bass Drum sounds like paper?

You've had a couple of recent tuning related threads now mate and the answer is becoming evident. You've just gotta keep practising your tuning.....pure and simple.

It ain't easy initially, but if you check out those Gatzen vids, have a scour through the tuning threads here and (most importantly) practice, practice, practice, you'll start seeing some results.

Patience, practice and repetition my friend.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:00 AM

Okay man, here is a tuning tip that can't fail. I picked up from a Bob Gatzen tuning vid.

1. Completely loosen all bass drum tension

2. Tighten all the tension rods just enough to secure the head. you want the head to be farely loose.

3. Place your hand in the center of the bass drum.

4. Look closely round the tension rods. You'll see areas of the head that are wrinkled.

5. You'll go around the head to each tension rod that is wrinkled, and tighten the rods where the head is wrinkled JUST ENOUGH TO REMOVE THE WRINKLES and no more.

This will give your bass drum the lowest possible pitch tuning. If this isn't the tone you want, gradually move around making a quarter or half turn to each lug, tapping your bass drum as you do so until you reach the tone you want.

If this doesn't help man, I don't know what to tell you.
Tama pedals
PDP stands
Remo drum heads
Old 06-17-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
You've had a couple of recent tuning related threads now mate and the answer is becoming evident. You've just gotta keep practising your tuning.....pure and simple.

It ain't easy initially, but if you check out those Gatzen vids, have a scour through the tuning threads here and (most importantly) practice, practice, practice, you'll start seeing some results.

Patience, practice and repetition my friend.
Yeah, first time actually reskinning.

Thing is, I've messed with anything and everything with it. It still sounds like a paper bag. I checked out the vids, helped a lot, but not for my bass drums.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
Yeah, first time actually reskinning.

Thing is, I've messed with anything and everything with it. It still sounds like a paper bag. I checked out the vids, helped a lot, but not for my bass drums.
Messing with anything and everything is actually a good thing, if you're understanding the process of what you are doing. Work one head at a time and always remember to listen. Note the correlation between batter and reso at different tensions.

You're not alone. I remember the struggles I had when I was younger, but it does become easier the more you do it. One tip is to take a drum into a drum store and ask one of the guys to tune it for you. Take note of what he's doing and don't be afraid to ask questions as to what he's listening for etc. Sometimes seeing (and hearing) the process first hand helps more than trying to follow a video presentation.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Messing with anything and everything is actually a good thing, if you're understanding the process of what you are doing. Work one head at a time and always remember to listen. Note the correlation between batter and reso at different tensions.

You're not alone. I remember the struggles I had when I was younger, but it does become easier the more you do it. One tip is to take a drum into a drum store and ask one of the guys to tune it for you. Take note of what he's doing and don't be afraid to ask questions as to what he's listening for etc. Sometimes seeing (and hearing) the process first hand helps more than trying to follow a video presentation.
Sad thing is, I'm 20 years old and always got my kits reskinned by my blind drummer friend, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnThisDaysDrummer View Post
Okay man, here is a tuning tip that can't fail. I picked up from a Bob Gatzen tuning vid.

2. Tighten all the tension rods just enough to secure the head. you want the head to be farely loose.

4. Look closely round the tension rods. You'll see areas of the head that are wrinkled.

5. You'll go around the head to each tension rod that is wrinkled, and tighten the rods where the head is wrinkled JUST ENOUGH TO REMOVE THE WRINKLES and no more.

This will give your bass drum the lowest possible pitch tuning. If this isn't the tone you want, gradually move around making a quarter or half turn to each lug, tapping your bass drum as you do so until you reach the tone you want.

I'll give that a shot. I watched the video and it makes plenty of sense, I just find it funny how they try to sell products through it, haha.

Thanks guys.

If this doesn't help man, I don't know what to tell you.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
Sad thing is, I'm 20 years old and always got my kits reskinned by my blind drummer friend, haha.
Then tap him for his knowledge. When I was younger I was forever getting my old man to tune my drums. It worked wonders, actually watching the process and having everything explained......what he was looking for, what he was listening for etc etc. So good in fact, that I'd forever be getting the poor bugger to tune for me. Then one day he obviously got sick of it, called me out for the lazy little sod that I was and cut me loose. Having that background helped a lot when it came time for me to have a crack.

Ask your mate for a thorough run down on the process.....then it's over to you to develop your own "feel" for it.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:27 AM
Gold Member

Great tips here.

I'll only add that if your kick sounds like "paper", its either too tight or too loose.
Sounds obvious I know, but bass drums can be pretty finicky.

I just tuned mine (again) the other day and it took me about 20 minutes (a long time for me) because I just kept going over and under the sweet spot and I had a tough time identifying the pitch of each lug position. If my kick drum head is not tuned perfectly it sounds like crap (to me anyway).

Sometimes my ear for tuning goes on the fritz too. :/

Patients and practice indeed my friend. :)
Old 06-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnThisDaysDrummer View Post

do that to BOTH sides of your drum, then afterwards grab a bass drum beater, and hit the skin next to the lug and make sure each lug is at the same pitch.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

Usually the paper sound is too loose in my opinion... all attack, nasty sounding attack and no tone whatsoever.

if I had to guess, you like a generally dead sounding drum so your idea of "tight" tuning isn't particularly tight at all. A bass drum is a much much much bigger drum than the rest of the others... it requires more lug turns to get to the same relative tension as the others. I don't think you're trying to tune it high enough. Use the tips you've learned from Gatzen as well as the suggestions here, and give it some more tension all the way around on BOTH heads... Eventually your bass drum will spring to life with some resonance (assuming you haven't muffled it to death) and then you can work for the sound you want from there with more tuning, muffling etc. etc.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:06 AM
audiotech

What I do is tune the resonant head to "just above wrinkle" and also make sure the head is in tune with itself. Next I would take any foam rings off the batter head and tune the batter as you did the reso head. At the point hook the pedal up to the bass drum and check it out. You'll probably still have a pronounced paper sound when it's hit. At this stage just work with the batter head and evenly tension it until you loose that paperish sound, you probably won't have to increase the tension very much, so go baby steps with the tensioning. When you get close to what you want, then again make sure the batter head is in tune with itself.

If you want a slightly higher pitch, just increase the tension of the resonant head. And if you want more muffling, try using the smaller of the two rings. I wouldn't put anything inside of the bass drum, such as pillows or blankets.

I have a couple of EMAD and EMAD 2 batter heads that I've tried, but I still use my "go to" head, the Evans EQ4.

Dennis
Old 06-18-2011, 07:02 AM

Hey guys. Thanks for all the help! Turns out my Resonant was waaaay to tight. I never touched it, it came like that. When I took it off, the clamps literally were embedded in the wood. So I went out and bought new wooden rings and boom, perfectly set. After reskinning and tuning, I went out an bought myself some 16", 18", and 20" AAX X-Plosion cymbals, as well as a 21" Raw bell dry ride (which is absolutely amazing).

I'll post some pictures up maybe tomorrow, before my heads get too damaged, haha.

Again, thanks so much for the help. I did the wrinkle technique, worked perfectly. I'm still messing to find the proper tuning, it's just a pain because I have two kicks. One always sounds a little higher than the other but yet they're in about the same pitch. I'm going to get my mate to teach me to reskin when it comes to it.

Thanks again!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

I am glad you found success. Congrats on the great cymbals too. The AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride is the bomb! Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater