DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Default struggling with tuning

hi guys,

don't rip my head off i know beginners have asked this millions of times but i have read them but none seem to help..

I have a mapex horizon kit, not the most expensive i know but its my first kit... anyway... as ive found out tuning is just everyones own opinion and preference but it does help a beginner that doesnt really know what theyre doing..

i've got a 10,12,13,16,18,22. came with the usual Remo UXs.. so i bought Evans EC2s for the batters (still has UXs on the bottom, but again i was told the UX would do for the resonant skin)

the 10 and 12 are relatively easy to get a good sound out of but the 13, 16 and 18 just ring out forever. ive tried tuning the resonant higher and lower than the batter vice versa, both the same etc.. i even bought a drum dial to make sure they were all even etc.

still can't get a good sound and searching forums hasnt worked so thought i'd try get a specific answer from you guys,

please just bare with me, any help is really appreciated,
do i replace the Ux's for proper resonant skins? if so which ones?
if anyone has a drum dial any recommended tensions?

anything at all i'll try because im stuck!
thanks a lot for the time,
chris
Old 06-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: struggling with tuning

Chris,

I feel your pain! I too have struggled with this, I posted a thread and got some good help and pointers, link is here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=75438

I still have not got it dialed, but felt better having been given the replies in the the thread, Hope this helps
Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxm3QunDjUs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga8Q12mKYxI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ9Unab1OzU

Watch, learn the process and most importantly......practice it.

Don't beat yourself up for not getting it immediately. It takes time, repetition and practice to develop an ear for tuning.

New batters is a far more important upgrade than new reso's IMHO. If you've got the cash, then it never hurts to go for a good quality head (both batter and reso). But if you haven't then it can certainly wait.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn89uk View Post
hi guys,

the 10 and 12 are relatively easy to get a good sound out of but the 13, 16 and 18 just ring out forever.chris
All excellent suggestions. Good suggestion by PFOG on Gatzen's tuning methods.
I found his to be most useful after a 25 year absence (Man! Almost like starting all over again!)

I ended up tuning to notes because I did not quite know where to start, and or the tones each drum sounds best at. After about a year of that method, I've now adjusted the notes on several drums to my liking. It all takes a little while. Also had the Drumdial, but first you have to first find each drum's magical tone, then capture those readings.

From your post, it sounded like you had an issue with "ring". The EC2's do have short sustain, and sounds like you've adjusted the tensions on the heads.
I have a G2 on my 16" tom, and that sucker just rang forever. I tightened the reso much more than the batter. As suggested, I also dropped a "ritchie" - studio ring inside the drum, atop the resonant head. I didn't want to put any rings on the batter.

You can also try a piece of moongel. Lots of drummers use that, but I prefer not to. Here is a link to a prior post regarding "ringing" if you're interested.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=75427

Aside from that, Aquarian Response II's control sustain very well. Their Performance II's control it even more, but too much for some.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:38 PM

What PFOG said. I'm no expert tuner either but after watching all those Bob Gatzen videos and practicing what he was doing it became much easier. Learning to tune is much like learning to play..it just takes alot of patience and practice.

Sabian / DW / Evans / Vic Firth
Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Silver Member

BigDin,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, how do you tune to a note? I assume that you are saying that you are matching the sound of the drum to a musical note, but how/with what do you generate the reference note?

Thanks
Old 06-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMNY View Post
BigDin,

Sorry if this is a dumb question, how do you tune to a note? I assume that you are saying that you are matching the sound of the drum to a musical note, but how/with what do you generate the reference note?

Thanks
Never a dumb question here.
You are exactly right, the key IS a reference note.

Take a look at Gatzen's snare tuning video. I apply this technique to each drum. Now, I am in the minority who tunes by notes. I'm not quite where I can say "just tune till it sounds good"

He starts with the reso, and I think he tunes to a "C" (been a while). He will get that tone from his planet waves device. He hums it out loud, and matches the tone to EACH LUG.
Flips it over, and does the batter. I think he goes a higher note.
For my deeper tones, I've had to use a keyboard (16" + 14" floor tom). IMO, possibly the only disadvantage to note tuning.

Check out my prior post:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=75875

If you tune by notes, you first have to determine that "magical note" for each drum. Do a search here. I even have my reso's tighter than the batter to minimize the sustain. Basically that's 2 notes per drum (batter + reso). It's not that complicated, just takes practice.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

Thank you, appreciate your reply, now I just have to get the piano into the basement!!
Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 PM
TFITTING942

I may be missing something here and sorry if I am but what exactly is the OP's problem? He mentions ringing out. Is he in need of some moongel or does he have a problem finding the proper pitch of the drum. For what its worth drums are supposed to sustain their sound and ring out after you hit them. If that's not the desired effect you are looking for, try moongel or rings or something like that to stop them sooner. The larger the drum, the longer it will sustain its sound after you hit it.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

maybe I should apologise as I have (slightly) hijacked this thread, but as a newbie I am still trying to get to grips with tuning and am appreciative of the information in this thread.