DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 06-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Gold Member

Default My Gear/Drum Build

This has been a long time coming so here it goes.

I just finished refurbishing my drum set. It was a crappy beginner kit that I refinished, re-lugged, resized, and re-bearing edged.

-I was going for a Vintage Natural look with the finish, I just slapped 4 coats of Sam Maloof's Poly/Oil finish with some wet/dry sanding.
-Believe it or not, both toms used to have only 5 lugs! Tuning was awful. I plugged the original holes and upgraded to 6 on the rack and 8 on the floor.
-Rounded 45's all around.

Specs:
12x8 rack
16x14 floor
22x14 bass

Tom Heads: Coated Emperors over Clear Ambassadors
Bass Heads: Evans EMAD over (soon to be) Fiberskyn.

Cymbals:
18" Early 60s A Zildjian
14" Quick Beats, circa 1980
22" Istanbul Agop Special Edition Jazz Ride <- love it.
20" K Ride.

I know those cymbals don't quite go together in a traditional sense, but for showing off proposes, I had to put the best I had up there.

Enjoy.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: My Gear/Drum Build

Love the two rides.
So, did re-cutting the edges make a world of difference in the sound of the kit?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

Thanks.

I haven't actually tuned it up yet, lol. Their sound after the quick tuning i did just for these pictures wasn't the greatest, but I think the heads are shot. They've been in my garage for the past couple months and aren't seated for these edges. I'm going to guitar center today to get new heads.

But I know it'll make a difference. The original edges were damaged to say the least. For one, I used to use my floor tom with no reso head, and carry the rack tom and all the hardware in the floor tom, so the reso bearing edge was messed up on the floor. Second, I'm using a cheapo bass pedal that wasn't made for generic hoops. The clamp to secure it to the hoop is too long and sometimes touched the bearing edge, so the bearing edge was destroyed right around where the pedal clamped onto the hoop.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

Wunderbar!!

I absolutely love restoration jobs. There is just some magic about taking an old beat up kit and making it something beautiful. I'm scoping fleabay for a beat up 6.5 Supra shell for my new restoration project. Do you have a before picture for comparison? I think we need one for the maximum effect.

Also the rack tom looks a bit lighter in the picture. Is that the camera/light or is it actually that much lighter? Is it the albino of the kit?

How about a driver's seat shot?
Old 06-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Gold Member

Yea, the camera flash screwed with the color on that rack tom. It is really the same color as the other drums.

I'll get on that before pic for you guys. I think I have one.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Gold Member

So I got home from work, forgetting to go to Guitar Center, so no new heads. But I did take the time to tune these heads up and wow they tune up nice. The new rims are great (i think I forgot to mention I went from 1.6mm to 2.3 mm TF hoops..), and the new edges in combination with the additional lugs are amazing. I'm actually getting a notes out of my floor tom rather than a somewhat pitched thud.

And here are those before pics you as for. The old specs were standard cheapo set sizes: 12x10, 16x16, 22x14. The old wrap was warped from heat exposure and very scratched. I tried to get all the angles I could. The best ones I could find were from a jazz gig with my old quintet, and yes I know I have terrible red eye in these pics, haha.

I just noticed my cymbals.. wow they suck.
13" ZBT hats
18" ZBT Crash Ride
20" K Ride
16" A Custom Crash - major crack in it. Its huge.
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Sweeet. I love those new lugs on there. Like I said, restoration threads make me smile.

I'm surprised the old timers aren't giving this thread more love. It seems they only like those threads about Bonham and jungle kits and when they get to post pictures of DWs they'd like to own.

Eh, no matter. It's a beautiful kit and you did a wonderful job. You should be very proud.