DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-13-2006, 04:41 AM

Default Tony Royster

Tony Royster what do you guys think of him. I have not bought his new dvd yet but I hope to see it. I just want to know is it going to be worth the money.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Tony Royster

Are you talking about T.R. Jr?

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...t=Tony+Royster
Old 01-13-2006, 05:40 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Tony Royster

Hi, I just ordered the new video, it's called Pure Energy. I should be receiving it tomorrow. It was recommended to me by some of my gospel drumming friends back East who told me I have to check it out. I've only seen clips of this kid, but I really want to start incorporating this style of drumming into my own playing. It was $47, and I usually don't shell out that much, but I'm sick of downloading tons of short clips.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:06 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Tony Royster Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatman
That solo Tony played on the MD 97 video was really fantastic for a 12 year old kid
i thought that was fantastic for any age, pro or not.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:40 AM

What's up guys?!?!

My name is Paul-Devon Lewow and I am the lead singer for the Atlanta-based rock band Lazyeye; currently signed to Ludacris's Disturbing Tha Peace Records.

We have had the absolute honor of working with Tony over the past few months and have brought him in to the writing circle with us... It has been an absolutely amazing experience and one that any true musician would cherish!

We will hopefully be in the studio here within the next month or so and we will be showcasing in NYC in february; alongside a normal tour and gig schedule...

Check out our Pre-tony recordings at:
www.lazyeyemusic.com or myspace.com/lazyeyeatlanta

Cheers,
Paul-Devon Lewow
Old 02-03-2006, 11:00 PM

I love and hate this guy, i watch the video of when he did a solo when he was twelve weekly, it makes me want to give up drumming and gets me thinking if I would be any good at bass guitar, but i still watch it as it's amazing for the age he is, and still amazing with the age taken out. I realy admire this guy.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:25 PM

how old i tony royster jr. now?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy
I love and hate this guy, i watch the video of when he did a solo when he was twelve weekly, it makes me want to give up drumming and gets me thinking if I would be any good at bass guitar, but i still watch it as it's amazing for the age he is, and still amazing with the age taken out. I realy admire this guy.
Just because someones a prodigy doesnt mean you should give up playing or loathe them. There have been plenty of prodigies in the world, but even more catz who play just as well as them now who started playing at 13 in school band.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:02 PM

What is the video Tony from Spain about?
Old 03-05-2006, 10:35 PM

Honestly, I expect nothing less from Tony Royster, jr., as he has been drumming since age three. He is now almost 19, giving him 15 - 16 year of experience. He is certainly good, and seems to have a keen grasp of all aspects of drumming, but what did you expect?

I personally think Tony is a child prodigy in term of music. He must want to constantly learn new things, and therefore, his abilities are exponential. I have been drumming since I was 14, and now, at 16, I have a decent amount of experience. Most of the kids in my town consider me a very skilled drummer. Tony accomplished what I have currently done when he was only 5!!!

For example, since I was 3, I have been drawing and sculpting. My interest in art has not dwindled, and thus I am very skilled (not to brag). At around age 7, many people were amazed at what I was able to do. Consider this situation with Tony.

- Marc
Old 03-06-2006, 01:41 AM

Man that video is so cool. That kid really plays. The only thing wrong is that every time I watch that video I say "I quit drumming" because it's so humiliating... he was 12. How can that be possible? At that age I was playing with my Hot wheels cars and he was kicking butt....AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 04:50 PM

I saw his video dedicated to tony williams about 4 years ago. Knowing that he was 12 at the time was amazing. He has raw talent.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex12
What is the video Tony from Spain about?
I don't about FROM spain...but here's a clip of him playing the Corea song Spain and being just as scary as ever.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=c8x7KXgWmVY
Old 03-13-2006, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NouveauCliche
I don't about FROM spain...but here's a clip of him playing the Corea song Spain and being just as scary as ever.

yeah that kid is amazing, i havent seen that many of his vids but the few that i have just blows me away
Old 04-26-2006, 01:17 AM

It makes me sad that he was better than me at birth then I am now.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NouveauCliche

First time seein that video and all I can say is WOW....
That kid is incredible - just a freak of nature......
Old 04-26-2006, 11:32 AM

he is great but its just like watching a young Chambers, he doesnt have a unique style, I would rather watch chambers then watch someone who sounds like a young version.
And he is not so young anymore so its not what it was.
he needs more influence then just one sorce
Old 04-27-2006, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

Being called "A young Dennis Chambers" is a good thing.....
Old 04-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Pioneer Member

Sounding like a young Dennis Chambers includes sounding like a young Billy Cobham, Tony Williams, Buddy Rich, and tons of others (and THEIR influences).
Old 04-27-2006, 10:27 PM

I think the solo on DW by Eloy Casagrande is even more impressive. This kid was 14 at the time. When you see kids with this skill level at such a young age it really makes you wonder. I was wondering if people like Smith, Weckl, Caluita, chambers, cobham, Silverlight or Marvin Smith to name a few, could play as well when they were that old. Maybe so, we just didn't have the net to know.

The gifted prodigy thing dissapates rapidly with age as they join the field of veteran drum masters, but it sure does make you wonder if they are simply born with a massive gift of physical dexterity towards drumming that allows them to reach that skill level in such a short amount of time. A level many playing for years never come close to.

Waterjet
Old 04-28-2006, 12:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_Recording_Freak
he is great but its just like watching a young Chambers, he doesnt have a unique style, I would rather watch chambers then watch someone who sounds like a young version.
And he is not so young anymore so its not what it was.
he needs more influence then just one sorce
You're right, he's not that young anymore, but I don't think he sounds anything like Dennis Chambers anymore. I got his new video "Pure Energy" and it's pretty impressive. He definately talks about more than just one source of influence. You should check it out and see what you think.

I also think that I liked his playing at 12 better than Eloy's (at 14) because it has more form than Eloys, which to me just sounded like an extended and massive display of pure chops with no real point.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz4eva
yeah that kid is amazing, i havent seen that many of his vids but the few that i have just blows me away
I'm sorry but you are qouting the video that was posted by NouveauCliche and say "kid"? Does he look like a kid in that video? :)
Old 05-01-2006, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin
You're right, he's not that young anymore, but I don't think he sounds anything like Dennis Chambers anymore. I got his new video "Pure Energy" and it's pretty impressive. He definately talks about more than just one source of influence. You should check it out and see what you think.
Thanks for the info...I'll definetly look for that video....
I want to see an updated version of his playing....
Old 05-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Just received great new material from DW - check out Tony Royster jr.:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/tonyroysterdw1.html

enjoy...

Bernhard
Old 05-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Pioneer Member

i love this kids playing! hes so damn good, and young! he has awesome technique and sound.. cant say enough good things about his playing, one my favs for sure
Old 05-23-2006, 12:54 AM

Wow! What a performer. Power.....creative time sense......and that right foot!
Old 05-29-2006, 07:31 PM

Default tony royster jr

i thought that tony royster jr was a little kid who was amazing on drums??

but on here he is 21?

what is going on are there 2 tony royster jr's??

thanks
Old 05-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Default Re: tony royster jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnodrummer
i thought that tony royster jr was a little kid who was amazing on drums??

but on here he is 21?

what is going on are there 2 tony royster jr's??
Sadly, Tony Royster Jr. suffers from a mysterious medical condition where he actually ages as the years pass. Scientists are studying him very carefully in hopes of discovering more about this unexplained malady.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:35 PM

Default Re: tony royster jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath
Sadly, Tony Royster Jr. suffers from a mysterious medical condition where he actually ages as the years pass. Scientists are studying him very carefully in hopes of discovering more about this unexplained malady.
Aha.......ah, that was good.

Too few people realize that Tony is not a little kid anymore. Regardless of his age, he's a great drummer in several genres.

I recently met my art teacher, who taught from when I was about 8 years old to about 10 years old. He noticed that I was now 5' 11" instead of 4', and wearing a Metallica shirt, rather than that of Jurassic Park. He asked me, "Are you still doing art?". Of course, I told him that I did, and that my ultimate aspirations were for conceptual designs in movies, but I added that I recently began drumming and really enjoyed it, and that my involvment in art had diminished a good deal. To many people forget that children grow up, and that they change. Tony Royster jr. is no exception. Even though Tony still drums, realize that he has progressed, and will continue to do so. My art teacher always remembers me as the little boy who loved to sculpt, but the reality is, I am now a bit changed. We may remember Tony as the 12 year old whizkid drummer, but now, like me, he has changed.

- Marc
Old 09-01-2006, 08:46 PM

I am speechless watching his video when he was 12 yrs old.....The Drum "Gods" have flown down & blessed Tony with a natural talent, he is already a "Hall of Fame" drummer & i bow to him, he is the reason why I humble myself !!!

I read posts of drummers saying, I want to quit & i get frustated etc...after watching Tony play at the age of 12 etc..."NO"...I would advice you to Quit" with that attitude or just settle & let drums be your hobby...

Tony is nothing but inspiration for drummers & anyone who wants to make something out of their lives...people like him only make me sacrifice & struggle & work harder than ever to reach that "Gold Ring".

He inspired me even more... reading for the 1st time today from your posts that he wants to be a doctor & he also has a rare illness he deals with...Tony is a unique individual

I email everyone I know musician or not his video with a message saying " Be Humble, there may be a little Tony Royster Jr. in your life too...

You all have a "Great" day....Lee

Last edited by Lee Mangano; 09-01-2006 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:28 PM

I was thinking about buying his "pure energy" DVD but from the links I've clicked and the searches I've done, it appears tha DW Drums is no longer selling it. Either way, it may just be the wow power of a child playing the solo a hand, but from what I've found online of his more recent work, the all afamed solo from when he was 12 seems almost more impressive then what I've seen of him no(not to say that his newer work isnt impressive though, It's still great stuff), although that may just be because they like to save the more impressive stuff on dvds and downloads that you actually have to pay for.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

That kid is amazing. I wish him the best in his music carreer taking off. I hope he becomes an "in demand" player and not just a clinician.

I would hate to see his talent become a novelty.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:23 AM
Platinum Member

I think he's really nice. He has awesome skill but I wish he would stop playing elevator music, get a reall fusion band and take it on tour.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.c.drummer
I think he's really nice. He has awesome skill but I wish he would stop playing elevator music, get a reall fusion band and take it on tour.

elevator music?

u gotta be kiddin, cmon man...u sound like couple of my chick friends (no joke)
Old 03-08-2007, 11:21 AM

Just watched "The Big Solo". Well, the 12-year-old Tony impressed me more. Of course he is a great drummer. But to my surprise I must say that I can actually play some stuff he did on that solo. Thatīs normally not the case with those videos here.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:10 AM

Default Tony Royster Jr.

Just did a search for this child prodigy, and no threads dedicated to him popped up so I'm making one.

Quick back ground: discovered at age 11 playing a drum solo at a Guitar Center in California. Taught by Dennis Chambers. Is now in his mid-20's.

If you want to see a couple of sick videos (i can't link the actual vids since i'm on a work computer), check out his drum solo at age 12, his drum battle with Jojo Mayer when he eats Mr. Mayer alive IMO, and his drum performance for the youtube "Drum Channel".

This guy is absolutely sick, stupid fast, creative, and in a league all of his own. After studying his videos for a very long time now (i've been a fan for going on 4 years), I think that he is (brace yourselves) the next Buddy Rich. The next "Natural Drummer" that is going to elevate the drumming world to a new level. The guy is in his mid 20s and I've seen parts in his solos where he takes pieces from Dennis Chambers, Buddy Rich, John Bonham, and Gene Krupa and then makes those parts even more complex and awesome. If there is any man who doesn't have a sticky yet on this forum but deserves it, it's Mr. Tony Royster Jr.

[Arky/mod here: That thread has been moved here.]

Last edited by Bernhard; 02-18-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:45 AM

Well first off thank you DB for providing the link to the actual Tony Royster Jr. thread. Now, to reiterate what i said in the other post.

I have been following Tony for a few years now. When I saw the solo when he was 12 for the first time I was completely floored. Recently I did some youtube searches to see if he had anything new. Now, as I'm writing this from memory I don't know exactly when some of these videos were recorded, much less how old he was at the time. But I can definitely see an amazing improvement. If you thought he was good at 12, watch his videos on the Drum Channel (on youtube and also have a stand-alone site). The only 2 from the Drum Channel I have seen are a drum jam with his mentor Dennis Chambers (this one is good, but not my favorite) and the other is his playing a song live. (it's ind of hard to describe, not elevator music, but not industrial, iuno lol) This second video is hands down the single greatest drum video I have ever seen. He does this ridiculous long single stroke roll that while at first glance appears easy, watching closer shows reveals just how hard it is to pull off (like i said, single stroke, no buzz, no double bounce, all single hits) It's also got several time signature changes where he slows it down and then breaks right back into the beat. oh my god, it's thats ridiculous. search drum channel or tony royster on youtube to find it. everyone should watch this video IMO.

my second comment is one that i expect will cause a little controversy, but it's a thought i want to explore a little bit for the sake of discussion. i feel, based on Tony's drum history and natural ability to play, that he is hands down the new Buddy Rich. Buddy is known as the father of modern drumming, the man who really started it all, and is considered the greatest drummer of all time, as he should be. However, since his death no one has come to the drum scene, IMO, with the ability, the personality, or the creativeness to really expand drumming and what drumming actually is. Noone until Tony. Other videos I have watched from Tony of his playing, his teaching, his practicing show a continual path towards greatness. Simply watching some of the things he pulls off has opened my mind to different things in songs, that I haven't really seen brought up before. He takes playing styles and ideal from other drummers, plays them as is, and then plays them better, all before then expanding said concept and blowing your mind. No one that I have watched or listened too, have blown me away as consistently as Tony has. Hands down, best drummer alive. Once again, IN MY OPINION, which is also open for debate.

Funny part is, he's not even my favorite drummer. He's up there, but not the top.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT_Drummer View Post
Well first off thank you DB for providing the link to the actual Tony Royster Jr. thread. Now, to reiterate what i said in the other post.

I have been following Tony for a few years now. When I saw the solo when he was 12 for the first time I was completely floored. Recently I did some youtube searches to see if he had anything new. Now, as I'm writing this from memory I don't know exactly when some of these videos were recorded, much less how old he was at the time. But I can definitely see an amazing improvement. If you thought he was good at 12, watch his videos on the Drum Channel (on youtube and also have a stand-alone site). The only 2 from the Drum Channel I have seen are a drum jam with his mentor Dennis Chambers (this one is good, but not my favorite) and the other is his playing a song live. (it's ind of hard to describe, not elevator music, but not industrial, iuno lol) This second video is hands down the single greatest drum video I have ever seen. He does this ridiculous long single stroke roll that while at first glance appears easy, watching closer shows reveals just how hard it is to pull off (like i said, single stroke, no buzz, no double bounce, all single hits) It's also got several time signature changes where he slows it down and then breaks right back into the beat. oh my god, it's thats ridiculous. search drum channel or tony royster on youtube to find it. everyone should watch this video IMO.

my second comment is one that i expect will cause a little controversy, but it's a thought i want to explore a little bit for the sake of discussion. i feel, based on Tony's drum history and natural ability to play, that he is hands down the new Buddy Rich. Buddy is known as the father of modern drumming, the man who really started it all, and is considered the greatest drummer of all time, as he should be. However, since his death no one has come to the drum scene, IMO, with the ability, the personality, or the creativeness to really expand drumming and what drumming actually is. Noone until Tony. Other videos I have watched from Tony of his playing, his teaching, his practicing show a continual path towards greatness. Simply watching some of the things he pulls off has opened my mind to different things in songs, that I haven't really seen brought up before. He takes playing styles and ideal from other drummers, plays them as is, and then plays them better, all before then expanding said concept and blowing your mind. No one that I have watched or listened too, have blown me away as consistently as Tony has. Hands down, best drummer alive. Once again, IN MY OPINION, which is also open for debate.

Funny part is, he's not even my favorite drummer. He's up there, but not the top.
yea, same with me, he's not my favorite drummer. i definitely agree with you that this guy has changed the modern world of drumming. ive watched every youtube video of him that exists. i really don't know what to think of him...whatever he is, i suggest that everyone continue keeping an eye on this guy, even though he's not a 12 yr. old prodigy anymore. sit back and watch; take it in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZI9YvM02L8
Old 08-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Great appearance at the Late Show - David Letterman - Drum Solo to CARAVAN...

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/t...letterman.html
Old 08-24-2011, 04:48 PM

I whole heartily agree with you Bernhard. Tony Royster Jr did an amazing job, his skills are on a whole different level then most out there.