DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-03-2011, 02:12 AM
icedgreece icedgreece is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 133
Default Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

I own a Mapex M (Maple) series right now. I'm going to the store to possibly buy some cymbals so while I'm there I figured I may as well buy new skins for my kit as well.

Right now, I don't like like the sound of my kit. If you need an idea of what it sounds like, I can make a video for you (no mics, camera does a pretty good job, though). Some of my toms just a bad "duuuung" after I hit it, and no matter how I tune it, it does the same thing. I think it is the bottom skin, though. Here's what I have right now.

Toms:
8"
10"
12"
14"
16"
18"
Kicks:
22" (x2)

The snares are good for now. I just replaced it on my Black Panther not to long ago.

I was thinking of getting both sides replaced. Here is where I'd be getting the heads at:

http://www.long-mcquade.com/departments/82/filter

Now, price is a deal with me. I play Hard Rock/Metal, so I need something that can sound amazing whilst being under a budget. I also need something that won't "dent" as fast, since I am a hard hitter and I do use the toms a lot. Right now I have the stock Remo heads, but they are starting to get on their last legs. I am also willing to order online, but I live in Canada so it would need to be a site that is either here or is cheap shipping (customs and all)

I'm a first time buyer for heads, so I'm going into this completely blind.

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-03-2011, 02:19 AM
Mapex----Maniac's Avatar
Mapex----Maniac Mapex----Maniac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

What's your budget?

Honestly if you dot spend a good amount of money on heads then you'll keep getting the same results. Heads are a huge factor in the sound of your kit so if you get cheap heads, your kit will sound cheap(even if it's high end).

My personal suggestion for heads would be Evans G2 coated over Evans G1 clear.
__________________
It's not the instrument that makes you sound good, it's you that makes the instrument sound good.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-03-2011, 02:24 AM
icedgreece icedgreece is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 133
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex----Maniac View Post
What's your budget?

Honestly if you dot spend a good amount of money on heads then you'll keep getting the same results. Heads are a huge factor in the sound of your kit so if you get cheap heads, your kit will sound cheap(even if it's high end).

My personal suggestion for heads would be Evans G2 coated over Evans G1 clear.
I'm not too sure of how much heads go for. How much would say, a higher up grade of skins go for to reskin my entire kit?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:07 AM
Homeularis's Avatar
Homeularis Homeularis is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco/Oakland East Bay, CA, USA
Posts: 1,062
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Man, yeah, you cant skimp on the dough on heads and expect a good result.

I would also say Evans G2 over G1 is a good fit because it sounds like you want a nice open, not too dead tone.

They have drum head pre packs that will save you some money. I am goung to get a G1 "Fusion" sizes pre pack pretty soon.

You are looking at a couple hundred bucks to do your whole large kits toms top and bottom.

Bass drum heads are expensive for the good ones, like $30 to $50 each.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:14 AM
icedgreece icedgreece is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 133
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
Man, yeah, you cant skimp on the dough on heads and expect a good result.

I would also say Evans G2 over G1 is a good fit because it sounds like you want a nice open, not too dead tone.

They have drum head pre packs that will save you some money. I am goung to get a G1 "Fusion" sizes pre pack pretty soon.

You are looking at a couple hundred bucks to do your whole large kits toms top and bottom.

Bass drum heads are expensive for the good ones, like $30 to $50 each.
See, $200 is amazing. $300 is alright for me. Like I said, I have no idea what I'm buying and I want that heavy tone. Well, the bass drum heads will last me a life time so I'm willing to spit up a couple extra bucks.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Homeularis's Avatar
Homeularis Homeularis is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco/Oakland East Bay, CA, USA
Posts: 1,062
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Go here and check out the pricing. Probably the largest musical instrument distributer in the US. They ship to canada.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/#

Again, check out the Evans G2's and G1's. Read the description on the G2's, sounds like what you want.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:41 AM
icedgreece icedgreece is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 133
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
Go here and check out the pricing. Probably the largest musical instrument distributer in the US. They ship to canada.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/#

Again, check out the Evans G2's and G1's. Read the description on the G2's, sounds like what you want.
I made a wishlist of the G2's, came to about $90. What would you recommend for the bass drums? I want some nice, hard hit. Something that makes the room "thump" with a nice deep, bass to it.

Edit*
Also, what's the difference between battered and clear? Any sound difference? Durability?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:45 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,811
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
What would you recommend for the bass drums? I want some nice, hard hit. Something that makes the room "thump" with a nice deep, bass to it.
.
PS3's, front and back. http://www.remo.com/portal/products/...erstroke3.html or whatever the Evans equivalent is.
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:47 AM
Mapex----Maniac's Avatar
Mapex----Maniac Mapex----Maniac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
I made a wishlist of the G2's, came to about $90. What would you recommend for the bass drums? I want some nice, hard hit. Something that makes the room "thump" with a nice deep, bass to it.

Edit*
Also, what's the difference between battered and clear? Any sound difference? Durability?

Thanks.
Batter is the side of the drum you hit. Reso is the opposite side(ie bottom). Clear heads are just that clear. Will coated heads are all white, not see through. Clear heads usually have a more open/resonant sound. But batter and clear are 2 completely different things.
__________________
It's not the instrument that makes you sound good, it's you that makes the instrument sound good.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:51 AM
Homeularis's Avatar
Homeularis Homeularis is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco/Oakland East Bay, CA, USA
Posts: 1,062
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
I made a wishlist of the G2's, came to about $90. What would you recommend for the bass drums? I want some nice, hard hit. Something that makes the room "thump" with a nice deep, bass to it.

Edit*
Also, what's the difference between battered and clear? Any sound difference? Durability?

Thanks.
Remo and Aquarian also make good heads. I am using Evans as an exaple because I'm currently using them and I am very happy.

I have an Evans GMAD on my kick batter and its just straight up thunderous with a killer attack.

Oh, and dont forget your tom resos (bottom heads). New ones (G1's or whatever) will help you get that killer tone. Old heads and stock heads usually dont help much.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:54 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,811
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
Also, what's the difference between battered and clear? Any sound difference? Durability?
Confusing the terminology here a bit mate.

Batter head = the side that you hit.
Reso head = the underside that resonates.

Coated heads = rounder, warmer tones.
Clear head = more stick attack, slightly sharper tone.

Durabilty between a coated or clear head is about the same, other than the fact that the coating will wear off a coated head over time.
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-03-2011, 04:01 AM
icedgreece icedgreece is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 133
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
PS3's, front and back. http://www.remo.com/portal/products/...erstroke3.html or whatever the Evans equivalent is.
Alright, I'll check em out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex----Maniac View Post
Batter is the side of the drum you hit. Reso is the opposite side(ie bottom). Clear heads are just that clear. Will coated heads are all white, not see through. Clear heads usually have a more open/resonant sound. But batter and clear are 2 completely different things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
Remo and Aquarian also make good heads. I am using Evans as an exaple because I'm currently using them and I am very happy.

I have an Evans GMAD on my kick batter and its just straight up thunderous with a killer attack.

Oh, and dont forget your tom resos (bottom heads). New ones (G1's or whatever) will help you get that killer tone. Old heads and stock heads usually dont help much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Confusing the terminology here a bit mate.

Batter head = the side that you hit.
Reso head = the underside that resonates.

Coated heads = rounder, warmer tones.
Clear head = more stick attack, slightly sharper tone.

Durabilty between a coated or clear head is about the same, other than the fact that the coating will wear off a coated head over time.
Sorry guys, my bad. Got my words a little mixed up there. So, I'm guessing I would want a clear head?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-03-2011, 04:06 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,811
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
So, I'm guessing I would want a clear head?
Ah, the age old question. I've been flipping between the two for 25 years now. I can never stick with one over the other either. ;-)
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-03-2011, 04:10 AM
Homeularis's Avatar
Homeularis Homeularis is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco/Oakland East Bay, CA, USA
Posts: 1,062
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
So, I'm guessing I would want a clear head?
I would say yes because you want an aggressive sound and clears will give you more "attack" (stick contact sound).

Coated heads are just a bit mellower (warmer) than clear.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-03-2011, 04:12 AM
Mapex----Maniac's Avatar
Mapex----Maniac Mapex----Maniac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
Alright, I'll check em out.







Sorry guys, my bad. Got my words a little mixed up there. So, I'm guessing I would want a clear head?
It's up to you

Personally I'd go with Evans g2 coated over Evans g1 clear as said above
__________________
It's not the instrument that makes you sound good, it's you that makes the instrument sound good.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-03-2011, 04:14 AM
icedgreece icedgreece is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 133
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Ah, the age old question. I've been flipping between the two for 25 years now. I can never stick with one over the other either. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
I would say yes because you want an agressive sound and clears will give you more "attack" (stick contact sound).

Coated heads are just a bit mellower (warmer) than clear IMO.
Haha, well I remember in my band classes as a percussionist/saxophonist, the kits had the coated heads, and just sounded like ass. So I never really had a real "sound test" on them. Also, will the heads dent easily? Or can they withstand some hard rocking out? ;)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-03-2011, 04:16 AM
Mapex----Maniac's Avatar
Mapex----Maniac Mapex----Maniac is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
Haha, well I remember in my band classes as a percussionist/saxophonist, the kits had the coated heads, and just sounded like ass. So I never really had a real "sound test" on them. Also, will the heads dent easily? Or can they withstand some hard rocking out? ;)
Heads don't dent much but they can break if played with bad technique or over a long period of time.

But they should hold up for a while and can withstand a good beating.
__________________
It's not the instrument that makes you sound good, it's you that makes the instrument sound good.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-03-2011, 04:17 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,811
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
Also, will the heads dent easily? Or can they withstand some hard rocking out? ;)
A good quality 2 ply head like a G2 or an Emperor can take a beating mate. As long as you have some semblance of reasonable technique and aren't just bashing away like a maniac newb with a baseball bat, they'll serve you well.
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-03-2011, 04:18 AM
Homeularis's Avatar
Homeularis Homeularis is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco/Oakland East Bay, CA, USA
Posts: 1,062
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
Haha, well I remember in my band classes as a percussionist/saxophonist, the kits had the coated heads, and just sounded like ass. So I never really had a real "sound test" on them. Also, will the heads dent easily? Or can they withstand some hard rocking out? ;)
Coated or non coated heads are equally prone to denting.

The trick is in the thickness of the film the heads are made of.
Also, 2 ply heads are less prone to denting. G2's are 2 ply (hence the name). G1's are 1 ply but I would only use them for reso (bottom) heads myself.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-03-2011, 04:22 AM
icedgreece icedgreece is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 133
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex----Maniac View Post
Heads don't dent much but they can break if played with bad technique or over a long period of time.

But they should hold up for a while and can withstand a good beating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
A good quality 2 ply head like a G2 or an Emperor can take a beating mate. As long as you have some semblance of reasonable technique and aren't just bashing away like a maniac newb with a baseball bat, they'll serve you well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
Coated or non coated heads are equally prone to denting.

The trick is in the thickness of the film the heads are made of.
Also, 2 ply heads are less prone to denting. G2's are 2 ply (hence the name). G1's are 1 ply but I would only use them for reso (bottom) heads.
Alright. I checked out guitarcenter.com and they still want to charge me like $20.00 for shipping to a local store. So, not too sure. I would probably get the G1's for the bottom and G2's for the top just like you do, I doubt having two sets of G2's for top and bottom would make a major difference in sound. I'm looking at about $300 which I'm okay with. I just wish I could buy them locally, you know? Make life so much easier.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-03-2011, 04:28 AM
Homeularis's Avatar
Homeularis Homeularis is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco/Oakland East Bay, CA, USA
Posts: 1,062
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
Alright. I checked out guitarcenter.com and they still want to charge me like $20.00 for shipping to a local store. So, not too sure. I would probably get the G1's for the bottom and G2's for the top just like you do, I doubt having two sets of G2's for top and bottom would make a major difference in sound. I'm looking at about $300 which I'm okay with. I just wish I could buy them locally, you know? Make life so much easier.
Although possible, you really dont need a 2 ply head on the bottom. It would deaden the sound a bit.
$20 is not really too much for shipping. I would pay the same here in the US.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-03-2011, 05:00 AM
icedgreece icedgreece is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 133
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
Although possible, you really dont need a 2 ply head on the bottom. It would deaden the sound a bit.
$20 is not really too much for shipping. I would pay the same here in the US.
Alright. I'll make a wishlist and pop into guitar center maybe next weekend. It's about an hour drive from where I live so.

Thanks for all the help guys. Evans GMAD (possibly GMAD 2) bass drum skins and Evans G2 on the top, maybe G1 on the bottom.

Possibly one last questions, do I really need to replace the ones on the bottom?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-03-2011, 05:19 AM
Homeularis's Avatar
Homeularis Homeularis is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco/Oakland East Bay, CA, USA
Posts: 1,062
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
Possibly one last questions, do I really need to replace the ones on the bottom?
Yes bro, please change the reso heads. You wont regret it. If you dont change them, you will just obsess about how good your drums might sound with good reso heads.
They make a HUGE difference on the tone of a drum.
You can use good reso heads for a long time also. Maybe every 4th batter change.

Go to the "search" bar and type in "reso heads". There are alot of threads on the subject.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-03-2011, 06:13 AM
icedgreece icedgreece is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 133
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
Yes bro, please change the reso heads. You wont regret it. If you dont change them, you will just obsess about how good your drums might sound with good reso heads.
They make a HUGE difference on the tone of a drum.
You can use good reso heads for a long time also. Maybe every 4th batter change.

Go to the "search" bar and type in "reso heads". There are alot of threads on the subject.
Good news and bad news.

Good news is, the store where I'm going to buy my cymbals has the in stoke. Bad news is, it costs about $120 for the G2'ss, $100 for the G1's, and $60 each for the GMAD's. So my overall trip will be about $1600 in cash I don't have. But hey, I'd rather go into debt for a passion I love.

How often do you change the heads?

Edit*

SO, the G1's are the exact price as the G2's. Should I just buy G2's for both the top and bottom?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-03-2011, 06:36 AM
Homeularis's Avatar
Homeularis Homeularis is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco/Oakland East Bay, CA, USA
Posts: 1,062
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
Good news and bad news.

Good news is, the store where I'm going to buy my cymbals has the in stoke. Bad news is, it costs about $120 for the G2'ss, $100 for the G1's, and $60 each for the GMAD's. So my overall trip will be about $1600 in cash I don't have. But hey, I'd rather go into debt for a passion I love.

How often do you change the heads?

Edit*

SO, the G1's are the exact price as the G2's. Should I just buy G2's for both the top and bottom?
Well, you got all your heads for right at $300, which is what you said yould spend right?.
Sounds like win to me.

I already pretty much answered the question about G2 over G2. Two ply heads on the bottom is possible but it will deaden the tone and take away some of the thunder IMO.
G2 over G1 is the way to go.

How often you change your heads is another subject altogether. You just change them when they are hammered looking or when the tone goes away. It all depends on you and how serious you are about having the perfect tone.
It could be every 3 weeks, 3 months or 3 years.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-03-2011, 06:41 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Where I buy my heads the G1 is just slightly less expensive than the G2. It's entirely up to you, but I wouldn't put a 2 ply head on my drums to be used as a resonant head. I use 1 ply, 10 mil heads either clear or coated for resonant heads. I can't think of any good reason to use a 2 ply reso head unless you're after a certain sound that you can't achieve with a single ply. It all depends on how frequently the drums are used, the age of the heads if they are tighten down and just sitting on the shells and if there is any damage to the heads. The damage could be a factor of improper head mounting, dents from sticks or sticks with broken or chipped tips. On an average I change my batters about every month and the resonant heads about every two or three months. Again depending on how much any particular kit is used. If you're not gigging or doing studio work, then it's not as critical and you may get many months out of a set of heads.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:59 PM
icedgreece icedgreece is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 133
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
Well, you got all your heads for right at $300, which is what you said yould spend right?.
Sounds like win to me.

I already pretty much answered the question about G2 over G2. Two ply heads on the bottom is possible but it will deaden the tone and take away some of the thunder IMO.
G2 over G1 is the way to go.

How often you change your heads is another subject altogether. You just change them when they are hammered looking or when the tone goes away. It all depends on you and how serious you are about having the perfect tone.
It could be every 3 weeks, 3 months or 3 years.
Haha, whoops. Need to pay more attention. Alright, cause I know these skins are stock from the kit which is about.. 3 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Where I buy my heads the G1 is just slightly less expensive than the G2. It's entirely up to you, but I wouldn't put a 2 ply head on my drums to be used as a resonant head. I use 1 ply, 10 mil heads either clear or coated for resonant heads. I can't think of any good reason to use a 2 ply reso head unless you're after a certain sound that you can't achieve with a single ply. It all depends on how frequently the drums are used, the age of the heads if they are tighten down and just sitting on the shells and if there is any damage to the heads. The damage could be a factor of improper head mounting, dents from sticks or sticks with broken or chipped tips. On an average I change my batters about every month and the resonant heads about every two or three months. Again depending on how much any particular kit is used. If you're not gigging or doing studio work, then it's not as critical and you may get many months out of a set of heads.

Dennis
Thanks. I gig with it a bit, but when I do I don't bring my double kicks or all the toms. I have some DW7000's to use as a double kick, to replace my single Speed Cobras. I usually just gig with one kick and 3 or 4 toms. so that'll reduce the wear.

Thanks guys.

Edit*

Just read a thread about EC2. Might check those out as well.

Last edited by icedgreece; 06-03-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Homeularis's Avatar
Homeularis Homeularis is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco/Oakland East Bay, CA, USA
Posts: 1,062
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
Edit*

Just read a thread about EC2. Might check those out as well.
Uh oh!...ha ha, I have EC2's but I didnt want to bring them up because I didnt want to confuse you. I was going on what tone it sounded like you were looking for.

I love my EC2's. They are basically G2's with a built in dampening ring that controls some of the overtones and ring sound.
They will steal a little thunder though. They have a slightly more dead tone, which I like. Actually, I like both G2 and EC2. I just happen to have EC2's now.
I could easily see myself getting G2's next time. :)

Heres more before you read it somewhere else...lol.

For the kick drum I suggested GMAD. Well theres also EMAD and EMAD2 which are the same basic design.
They all look the same and have the same built in dampening ring.

EMAD: single ply 10mil (open and loud but a little thin, less durable)

EMAD2: 2 ply, one 10mil and one 7mil I think (more durable although a bit more dead tone)

GMAD: single ply extra thick 12mil (best of both worlds IMO, durable because its thicker, more open, loud and low because of thick single ply)

Last edited by Homeularis; 06-03-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-03-2011, 10:24 PM
icedgreece icedgreece is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 133
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
Uh oh!...ha ha, I have EC2's but I didnt want to bring them up because I didnt want to confuse you. I was going on what tone it sounded like you were looking for.

I love my EC2's. They are basically G2's with a built in dampening ring that controls some of the overtones and ring sound.
They will steal a little thunder though. They have a slightly more dead tone, which I like.
Ohh alright. so, should I still get the G2's?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-04-2011, 12:14 AM
Homeularis's Avatar
Homeularis Homeularis is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Francisco/Oakland East Bay, CA, USA
Posts: 1,062
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedgreece View Post
Ohh alright. so, should I still get the G2's?
Dunno, youve heard the descriptions. What do you think?.

You cant go wrong. These are all top of the line heads.
You have to decide what tone your going for.

There are tons of threads on all these heads.
Just read up and go with your gut.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-04-2011, 12:52 AM
icedgreece icedgreece is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 133
Default Re: Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
Dunno, youve heard the descriptions. What do you think?.

You cant go wrong. These are all top of the line heads.
You have to decide what tone your going for.

There are tons of threads on all these heads.
Just read up and go with your gut.
After reading and watching some videos I think I might just go with the EC2's. I just wish I could hear them in person. People say not the EC2's, but some say go for them. I just have no idea what either sound like in a mic'd room or in person.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com