DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-26-2011, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Default Help finding XLR jack?

I'm trying to find a shell-mounted jack for an XLR cable. I like to run my bass drum mic inside the drum with no port. My new Ludwig bass drum is virgin, so there is no place to run the cable out through the shell. I've tried some alternatives, but I'm just not fully satisfied yet.

Does anyone know exactly where I might find a jack that mounts through the shell so I can leave the mic inside, but plug in the cable externally? I've seen them on pro drummer's kits but cannot seem to find one anywhere.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:18 PM

Default Re: Help finding XLR jack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I'm trying to find a shell-mounted jack for an XLR cable. I like to run my bass drum mic inside the drum with no port. My new Ludwig bass drum is virgin, so there is no place to run the cable out through the shell. I've tried some alternatives, but I'm just not fully satisfied yet.

Does anyone know exactly where I might find a jack that mounts through the shell so I can leave the mic inside, but plug in the cable externally? I've seen them on pro drummer's kits but cannot seem to find one anywhere.
Does your front head have a hole in it? I use an Audix d6 mounted on a Kelly Shu mount with a 2m cable that stays attached to the mic so I don't have to worry about plugging/unplugging the mic. If the snake is close enough to the kick drum, I just plug it in directly, or I plug in a regular mic cable to the loose end to reach the snake/mixer. I also take a little strip of velcro wire wrap to attach the slack to a lug so that the cable doesn't touch the edge of the hole.

If you don't have a front hole, you can take a regular male XLR connector and mount it into the shell, then take a short mic cable, cut off the male end and solder it to the connector. You will be drilling though, so if you aren't comfortable with that, then find a friend who does woodworking to do that for you.

I've also seen someone who did something similar and used a 1/4" TRS female end mounted to an existing air hole on their drum, that might be the way to go so as not to drill into the shell. He then used a short adapter cable to convert from male 1/4 TRS to XLR male so as to plug into a regular mic cable.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:19 PM

Panel mount XLR if you don't mind drilling.

You could also wire a mic cable with 22 gauge miniature audio cable. For example, West Penn Wire #452 has an outside diameter of only .135 inches. That will easily fit through a vent hole. It just wouldn't be removable, since you'd have to solder the connector on after you put it through the vent.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:14 AM
Silver Member

If you want to keep a full front head with no small hole for the cable (understandable) I would drill another air hole in the bottom of the kick with a grommet and run the cable through that. It would be less of a project and a smaller hole than an XLR. Leave the cable attached and tie it off in a Crown Royal back when you pack up your kit.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:14 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the suggestions. That XLR panel is kind of what I had pictured, but I was concerned about the curvature of the shell. I suppose I can use some kind of soft gasket material?
Old 05-27-2011, 03:24 AM
Silver Member

http://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NC3FP-.../dp/B000PH9TZ0

It's so small, the curvature of the shell doesn't have an effect. I just installed one on a 12" tom shell.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

See the entry from 2-14-2007 at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23501 . This mod uses the vent hole and requires no drilling and is easily reversible.

What you need is a tip-ring-sleeve (TRS) connection, also called a stereo quarter inch. It allows an XLR to connect to quarter inch. I put a quarter inch jack in the vent hole of the bass drum, connected to an internal dynamic mic. I modified an XLR cable with a right-angle TRS connection and plugged in the bass drum much as a guitarist would plug in his guitar. I have removed it since but it worked very well for years.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Take a look at this:

http://www.switchcraft.com/productsu...spx?Parent=472

These are standard Switchcraft XLR round panel connectors. It would probably look better mounted on a drum shell. Click on the XLR .pdf document and you can see that they make them in 3 to 7-pin variations. We have a stock of these at Disneyland that we use for industrial-permanent installations and it's nice to have something as utilitarian look aesthetically pleasing. Round goes with drums ;)
Old 05-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Take a look at this:

http://www.switchcraft.com/productsu...spx?Parent=472

These are standard Switchcraft XLR round panel connectors. It would probably look better mounted on a drum shell. Click on the XLR .pdf document and you can see that they make them in 3 to 7-pin variations. We have a stock of these at Disneyland that we use for industrial-permanent installations and it's nice to have something as utilitarian look aesthetically pleasing. Round goes with drums ;)
But wouldn't doing this involved boring out a larger hole in the shell? Going the TRS route allows you to use the existing vent hole and is fully reversible. Also, you can use a right-angle TRS plug, which is much lower profile than an XLR cable sticking out several inches (unless there is a right-angle XLR out there). A right-angle TRS cable is much more resistant to tugs and knocks that will happen on stage.

I see few advantages to using XLR over TRS. I think you cannot carry power through TRS, so it is not good for phantom powered condenser mics. Also, XLR gives you more electrical contact than TRS, but I don't see that as much of an issue unless you are trying to send power through.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

For the short term, I needed to do something right away because I was getting a lot of wear on the cable and grommet where I ran it through the drumhead. It didn't seem like it would be a problem at first, but once the wear started, holy cow!

I still have not made a final decision and I am not going to drill the shell until I AM sure, so my quick fix is that I cut one end off the cable, ran it out through the vent hole, and then re-soldered the plug back on. I'm still getting enough ventilation because there is still a 3/4 hole in the head. But I don't really like this set up - it looks cheesy to me and I still have all this cable permanently attached to the drum. On the Lugwig, the vent hole is on top, three inches from the batter head, so I'm constantly looking at that damn cable poking out! I so want to be able to just plug a cable into the shell!

The TRS idea has merit, DMC, but part of the convenience factor I'm looking for is that the band has a whole trunk of XLR cables. Would be nice to just grab one instead of using a different cable than everyone else. Not a deal-breaker, but I'm having to think hard, lol!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
For the short term, I needed to do something right away because I was getting a lot of wear on the cable and grommet where I ran it through the drumhead. It didn't seem like it would be a problem at first, but once the wear started, holy cow!

I still have not made a final decision and I am not going to drill the shell until I AM sure, so my quick fix is that I cut one end off the cable, ran it out through the vent hole, and then re-soldered the plug back on. I'm still getting enough ventilation because there is still a 3/4 hole in the head. But I don't really like this set up - it looks cheesy to me and I still have all this cable permanently attached to the drum. On the Lugwig, the vent hole is on top, three inches from the batter head, so I'm constantly looking at that damn cable poking out! I so want to be able to just plug a cable into the shell!

The TRS idea has merit, DMC, but part of the convenience factor I'm looking for is that the band has a whole trunk of XLR cables. Would be nice to just grab one instead of using a different cable than everyone else. Not a deal-breaker, but I'm having to think hard, lol!
Yours is a valid concern about the cable. I made my own 4-foot cable that is XLR at one end and TRS at the other. The TRS end plugs into the vent hole - I'd plug in my bass drum much as a guitarist would plug in his guitar - and the XLR is ready for any standard XLR mic cable. I just coil it up in the case and carry it with the drum to be self-sufficient in that regard.

If you go the XLR route, not only will you have to drill your shell, you will have a long XLR plug sticking out that will be very susceptible to getting yanked or knocked. A right-angle TRS cable is much more low-profile
Old 06-01-2011, 06:52 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

I was under the impression you had a full reso head. If you have a small vent (3/4 as stated above) in the reso you should just cut and re-solder your cable through your vent hole in the shell. This is the easiest and easily reversible way to do this. Don't be put off by having to view a cable. As a drummer, you should know you will see much worse things than this on a nightly basis.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
I was under the impression you had a full reso head. If you have a small vent (3/4 as stated above) in the reso you should just cut and re-solder your cable through your vent hole in the shell. This is the easiest and easily reversible way to do this. Don't be put off by having to view a cable. As a drummer, you should know you will see much worse things than this on a nightly basis.
I've seen some drums like that and they look really ghetto. Have you ever seen any other acoustic instrument with a cable dangling out of it? No, they have sockets for plugs.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I've seen some drums like that and they look really ghetto. Have you ever seen any other acoustic instrument with a cable dangling out of it? No, they have sockets for plugs.
I don't see how that would look any different than a cable plugged into an input, aside from seeing the jack. Who will notice from more than 5 ft away anyway? I suggested this because it is easily reversible without drilling or damaging the drum in any way.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well, the hole isn't really a port, it's the spot I used to run the cable through on the batter side. Next head change it will be gone. But it's working for this weekend! lol
Old 06-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
We have the same view about the aesthetics of cables, I see! lol
Old 06-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

My personal opinion I would never ad holes to a drum, takes away from the resale value far to much
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 06-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't see how that would look any different than a cable plugged into an input, aside from seeing the jack. Who will notice from more than 5 ft away anyway? I suggested this because it is easily reversible without drilling or damaging the drum in any way.
There's something about a cable dangling out through a hole in an instrument that just looks half-assed, although it does have the advantage of requiring no modification. The proper way to hook up any instrument is with a plug and socket of some kind. Using a TRS allows you to use the drum's exiting airhole, so there is no cutting and it's completely reversible. I had my bass drum internally miked like that and I took it apart of couple of years later, leaving no trace anything like this had ever been done.