DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 05-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Default I hate to say this...

I actually hate to say this as I hate the thing, but I need to get a double pedal.
I need it for an exam I (may) be doing next year. I'm pretty meh about the idea of it as I don't like double bass.

I've seen ads for DW 9000's at 200 and DW 7000's for 140
But I'm just thinking of matching it with my current Iron Cobra.

What would you guys say?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: I hate to say this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalwart_Pandora-Chris View Post
I actually hate to say this as I hate the thing, but I need to get a double pedal.
I need it for an exam I (may) be doing next year. I'm pretty meh about the idea of it as I don't like double bass.

I've seen ads for DW 9000's at 200 and DW 7000's for 140
But I'm just thinking of matching it with my current Iron Cobra.

What would you guys say?
DW7000 is now the 3000 series (they re-numbered them). I'd go for the 3000/7000 double, it's probably all you'll need unless you need to play incredibly fast! The 9000s are possibly too fast for me, I found the 3000 a lot more controllable. I guess compare it to cars...the Ferrari makes you want to go faster than you really should be going, but the Chevy will get you there just fine and without the speeding citation.

Stateside the 9000 is about $550, and the 3000 is $200...I don't remeber the conversion into quid.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

I would think the music more than an exam would prompt you into a double pedal in the first place. If you don't see a need for the pedal musically, then I'd screw the exam and say, this is how I play. If the exam givers can't see past any undue requirements, then obviously they're not musicians, eh?

It's already bad enough many of us don't get compensated for what we already own. But to go out and spend more hard-earned money on something just for a test that you know you're not into seems insulting.

But, at the same time, it is one of those things where it couldn't hurt to learn how to do it. You just have to decide how much of a priority it is for you. I'm just arrogant enough to tell people "this is what I play - if it's not enough for you, maybe you should call so-and-so". I've worked with people who demand certain things and for some reason, those gigs made me feel like I'd earned every penny! No fun...
Old 05-26-2011, 12:11 AM
sticks4drums

I don't play it a lot, but I have found learning the double bass a lot of fun. It has really strengthened my left foot co-ordination.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I would think the music more than an exam would prompt you into a double pedal in the first place. If you don't see a need for the pedal musically, then I'd screw the exam and say, this is how I play. If the exam givers can't see past any undue requirements, then obviously they're not musicians, eh?

It's already bad enough many of us don't get compensated for what we already own. But to go out and spend more hard-earned money on something just for a test that you know you're not into seems insulting.

But, at the same time, it is one of those things where it couldn't hurt to learn how to do it. You just have to decide how much of a priority it is for you. I'm just arrogant enough to tell people "this is what I play - if it's not enough for you, maybe you should call so-and-so". I've worked with people who demand certain things and for some reason, those gigs made me feel like I'd earned every penny! No fun...
I want to be a session drummer in a few years so it could do handy too. Plus there's a few metal tracks I wouldn't mind giving a bash with one and obviously I'm going to buy one used :)
it actually looks alot of fun, I just know it's just going to be one of those options I have that isn't 100% compulsive to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
I don't play it a lot, but I have found learning the double bass a lot of fun. It has really strengthened my left foot co-ordination.
I need to strenghten mine and get a technique on my left foot. This should help to be honest :)
Old 05-26-2011, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalwart_Pandora-Chris View Post
I want to be a session drummer in a few years so it could do handy too. Plus there's a few metal tracks I wouldn't mind giving a bash with one and obviously I'm going to buy one used :)
it actually looks alot of fun, I just know it's just going to be one of those options I have that isn't 100% compulsive to use.

I need to strenghten mine and get a technique on my left foot. This should help to be honest :)
I'm selling my DW7000's for $110. I used them about, 7 times at gigs and loved them. I then got a true double kick drum set, so I don't need them anymore. For the price, they are definitely worth it. I could go as fast as I desired, although the beaters were a little heavy.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:22 AM
Gold Member

Maybe you hate the thought of having to learn it. It doesnt sound to me that you hate it.

Before long, youll be saying how much you like it. :0
Old 05-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Platinum Member

I agree. It sounds like you do like it and wouldn't mind having a go at it. So I say budget for a double and get it going!
Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Gold Member

If you like your Iron Cobra - why not go for a double Speed Cobra or just the regular cobra. You'll get them cheap used.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
If you like your Iron Cobra - why not go for a double Speed Cobra or just the regular cobra. You'll get them cheap used.
+1

Can't beat them for the price. I have the single and love it. The only reason I didn't get the double is because I got a killer deal on PS Eliminators.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodiggie View Post
+1

Can't beat them for the price. I have the single and love it. The only reason I didn't get the double is because I got a killer deal on PS Eliminators.
Quote:
I seen someone on ebay selling two of his Iron Cobras for 50 but there were like 16 bids. I seen some DW7000's there too and someone offered me 200 for a DW 9000 double.
So I've found some good deals I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I agree. It sounds like you do like it and wouldn't mind having a go at it. So I say budget for a double and get it going!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeularis View Post
Maybe you hate the thought of having to learn it. It doesnt sound to me that you hate it.

Before long, youll be saying how much you like it. :0
I don't dislike it or like it, I think it's overused these days and I don't see myself using it often. But it would help my left foot technique too I guess. Which is a + :)
Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

I can attest for the IC double. I have had mine for about ten years, and played it for 1000+ gigs (the other 7-800 were backline pedals which were fit to use ranging from Axis to Sonor) with no problems. I think pedals are very much like drums. You can configure most of them to suit your needs. But, the IC is built like Wolverine's femur, and I would not trade mine for any pedal out there.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:18 PM
Gold Member

But you did say you liked your single? Why don't go with the double?
I don't like the 9000's, the 5000 series are better.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
I can attest for the IC double. I have had mine for about ten years, and played it for 1000+ gigs (the other 7-800 were backline pedals which were fit to use ranging from Axis to Sonor) with no problems. I think pedals are very much like drums. You can configure most of them to suit your needs. But, the IC is built like Wolverine's femur, and I would not trade mine for any pedal out there.
I love my Iron Cobra. Come to think of it it MIGHT be cheaper to buy an Iron Cobra extension bar and another Iron Cobra. But I believe the design has changed as of 2011 and it now focuses on a sort of same idea as a speed cobra.

Quote:
But you did say you liked your single? Why don't go with the double?
I don't like the 9000's, the 5000 series are better.
I may just buy parts but it's hard to find the Iron Cobra parts. I'm not to sure if the cheap connecting rods are very good to be honest, apparently there's delay on them.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:13 PM

I have my old iron cobra pedals, they have drum slug beaters though, id get rid of em for $100, i am in canada though.

Theyre about 4 years old and not in mint condition