DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-23-2011, 02:33 AM

Default Drummer Headphones NEEDED!!

My birthday is very soon, so quick response is appreciated! I need some Isolation headphones used for drumming, but Music/Movies too!

I was looking at these headphones
"Beyerdynamic DT 770 M Monitoring Headphones for Drummers"
Tell me what you think about them.

AND "Beats Studio by Dr. Dre - Hi-Def Noise-Canceling Over-Ear Headphones"

I am looking in the 150$-225$ Price Range!
THANK YOU, -ADAM
Old 05-23-2011, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Drummer Headphones NEEDED!!

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...nes?sku=443954
great sound, great isolation, i've used em for years now
Old 05-23-2011, 03:40 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

The Beyerdynamics are meant to be very good. Those are what I would go with in your situation.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:04 AM
audiotech

I would try every pair you can get your head between, lol. I have a pair of the Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pros, and these particular headphones have a very significant wide "Q" boost at the lower frequencies. Maybe the 770 Ms might be different, I've never tried them but they are manufactured to exceed in their outside ambient noise figures. Other phones that I have and also excel when tracking drums are the Shure SRH 840 and Shure SRH 440. What I do is get extra 840 ear cushions and install them on the 440 since these are lighter weight headphones and can be comfortably worn for a long period of time, but the 840 ear cushions have the better isolation of the two. Another great set is the KRK KNS 8400. These have memory foam in the ear cushions and does an incredible job sealing your ears from outside noises. One thing about the KRK 8400 is that they have a very flat low frequency response that many indicate that they have a rolled off response, which they actually don't. Other headphones that work well are the Sennheiser 280, Audio Technica ATH-M50 and also the Beyer Dynamic DT 109. The DT 109 has been a studio staple for many, many years. All the above are priced here in the U.S. between $100 and $250.

There's probably many more that would work well for you, these are just some I use and work for me. Whatever you get, make sure they have a "closed back" design when working in high ambient noise conditions or when working microphones at a very close distance, such as for speech or singing.

Dennis
Old 06-17-2011, 11:36 PM

Klipsch S-4 awesome sounding and isolation. Way better than Firths or Sennheiser headset type. But make sure you use the xmas tree gel and they go all the way in your ear. If u miss this u will go from awesome to no bass
Old 06-18-2011, 04:14 AM
Gold Member

beyerdynamic dt150
audiotechnica m50
Old 06-18-2011, 04:26 AM
Platinum Member

Why don't you get in-ear headphones? The Shure SE215's are great buds. With the right inserts they pretty much cancel out any harsh sounds coming in, and they only cost $99. It's what I use on my gig here at Disney - love 'em!
Old 06-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Why don't you get in-ear headphones? The Shure SE215's are great buds. With the right inserts they pretty much cancel out any harsh sounds coming in, and they only cost $99. It's what I use on my gig here at Disney - love 'em!
I just got a set of Shure SE425's. 299.00 for dual drivers. Thats a bargain,plus they sound amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Old 06-18-2011, 03:52 PM

Maybe you're birthday has passed already by now...

Anyway, I use Audio Technica ATH-M50. Recommended. Better for playing drums than my Sennheiser HD 280 pro.

While good (as in more expensive) earplugs are great, I've spend hundreds of bucks on them but none seem to fit my (apparently rather unusual shaped) ears well --> all the low frequencies are gone and they fell out with the slightest tension on the cord. Maybe I'll get custom made InEars some day, but I cannot justify the costs right now.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:48 AM

I use ear muffs, (like the ones from places like Rural King for industrial use) which cost $11, over some random ear buds (whatever will work). A much cheaper way to get ear protection and play to your music.
Cheezay