DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 05-15-2011, 04:37 PM

Default Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive: any owners/advice here?!

Hi there, I'm looking at finally making the plunge and getting a double bass pedal! So I thought I may aswell do it properly, I badly need to upgrade my single pedal anyway, and this direct drive pedal stuff looks amazing.

The Pearl Eliminator demon drive looks phenomenal, but I was wondering if there were any owners of it on here who could let me know how they feel about it after spending 500 on it! Any problems? Cheers!
Old 05-15-2011, 10:26 PM

Default Re: Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive: any owners/advice here?!

I have one and it's great. So smooth and light, and almost infinitely adjustable. I take it with me everywhere I go because I KNOW that it'll be better than any backline pedal, and I haven't regretted buying it at all.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:09 AM
Silver Member

I own it as well. I ended up buying a DW5000 about a year later though because I personally like the feel of chain-driven pedals. There isn't anything wrong with the demon drive. It's just not worth the price tag, in my opinion. On a side note, I don't personally play anything that requires any kind of speed. So maybe the demon drives are better for that, I don't know.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:45 PM

I actually just sold my DD back to Sam Ash this weekend. Sadly, this pedal has quite a few bugs in the design. It wobbles and rattles and just does'nt feel very sturdy at all. I was very disappointed at the construction of this product... especially for the price..

I ended up replacing it with Gibralters Intruder series direct drive. Shockingly, this pedal feels far superior to the DD at a fraction of the price.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:52 PM
Silver Member

Before dropping crazy amounts of cash on a Demon Drive (or trick), take a good look at the Yamaha direct drive pedals. Gibraltar and Mapex are also offering direct drive pedals now that are very affordable.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Gold Member

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!!

As great of a pedal as it is, not being a chain drive pedal will make it feel weird after your current pedal. I have one, but I'm thinking about trading it up for something that's a bit heavier since it is extremely light. It is very adjustable but also very expensive, so please, do yourself a favour and test it out at a local shop (along with some other pedals like the Pearl Eliminators, DW 9000s, DW 5000s Tama Iron Cobras, Tama Speed Cobras etc.).

Then once you've found something you like, buy it used!

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordory3
Old 05-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Crazy8s

The Pearl Demon Drive is a good pedal and for $500 it probably would not let you down. However, for the same or less money, you can find other pedals with a more proven track record under the feet of the world's finest drummers.

Of all the direct drive pedals to choose from, and there are some very good ones for sure, I prefer Axis' pedals above them all. Why? Because they are made with pride by very skilled craftsmen about 200 miles away from where I live, and their performance capabilities are well-demonstrated under the feet of most of the World's Fastest Drummers as well as hundreds of sensational recordings.

Support and build your local music scene by conscientiously supporting your local musical instrument builders.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:41 AM

I really like my Demon Drive double pedal. It took me a while to get used to it but I like it now. Definately try one out if you can. They are so adjustable that I am sure you can find the setting for you. I replaced the factory beaters with DW beaters. The factory beaters were too light for my taste and they were not durable. Give them a try.
Zildjian & Sabian
Porter & Davies
Roland TD30KV
Old 05-17-2011, 12:46 AM

The try before you buy warnings are true. My drum teacher (who also owns a music shop) was kind enough to let me take one of the demon drives he had in stock home for a few days to try it our before I purchased it. I ended up going with the standard eliminator strap drive model because i preferred the feel. But to be fair, I'm kind of strange with alot of my preferences, I prefer the way my 99' ford explorer handles to my dad's lexus, go figure :p
Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2Speed View Post
I replaced the factory beaters with DW beaters. The factory beaters were too light for my taste and they were not durable.
Can't comment on durability.....they weren't on the pedal long enough to find out. But I also thought the beaters were too light. I prefer the feel of a little extra weight higher up on the pedal, so I slapped some quad beaters on there.

OP, I've been happy with mine, but as has been said.....try before you buy. Direct drives don't feel like a chain or strap driven pedal and they are not for everyone.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

I vote for the Eliminators, my buddy works at the music store and let me take the DD home for a couple of days and the options are good but all in all, I like my Eliminators much more and I can have two of them for the price of the DD. The only thing I really like is the way they look, and no one can see them but me so it's not worth it. I do believe in spending money on pedals, you get what you pay for. I have gone the cheap way to save money then essentially ended up spending more in the long run if I just bought something quality. Like it has been said on here try before you buy, see if the store will even just hold your card for a day and take them home it's worth it.

Ok so Demon Drive... Not for me to expensive, Pearl has a home run with the Eliminators...
Old 05-29-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdoog View Post
I vote for the Eliminators, my buddy works at the music store and let me take the DD home for a couple of days and the options are good but all in all, I like my Eliminators much more and I can have two of them for the price of the DD. The only thing I really like is the way they look, and no one can see them but me so it's not worth it. I do believe in spending money on pedals, you get what you pay for. I have gone the cheap way to save money then essentially ended up spending more in the long run if I just bought something quality. Like it has been said on here try before you buy, see if the store will even just hold your card for a day and take them home it's worth it.

Ok so Demon Drive... Not for me to expensive, Pearl has a home run with the Eliminators...

That goes double for me as well

I picked up the Eliminators after playing with many many double pedals at local shops,and couldnt find any reason to pay more,its an outstanding pedal.I still havent taken off the black cam because its made my footwork so much better,that I cant justify removing it for the red, blue or white cams just yet.That alone makes it amazing,when its least desirable ability still blows away what youre previously used to.The slave reacts like top end single pedals.I am very happy with this pedal.So if its your first double pedal,you owe it to yourself to try this one out before jumping into the 500 plus range.May find its far more than youll ever need.
Good things ahead with this pedal.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:47 PM

I own two singles and converted to doubles and back again. I also own the DW9002's which are also outstanding pedals. The demons are very smooth. The footboard length is shorter than the Axis pedals but the bearings make all the difference.

I just released a tutorial for the demon drives on youtube.

You can WATCH IT HERE

It's very detailed and will tell you anything and everything you need to know about setup and more than i care to repeat here. 11 minutes long!

Good luck.