DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-14-2011, 08:00 PM

Default Reuse reso heads?

I have coated ambassadors on the batt/reso sides of my Sonor 3007's. Can I flip them before replacing both? I am only playing at home so I am not a rock star but having good sound is important and I can afford new heads.

TwT
Old 05-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Reuse reso heads?

If you were switching between two different drums with radically different bearing edges it might not work well, but since you are switching from bottom to top on the same drum it shouldn't be a problem.

Also, you don't have to change reso heads every time you change batters anyway. I change my batter heads frequently but reso heads only once a year or so. They will start to lose tone eventually, but if you are playing at home, I would just leave those babies right on there. You will find that a much smaller change in sound when changing to a new reso than a new batter - to me it wouldn't be worth it.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

It also depends on your tuning habits. If you tune one side tighter than the other and swap it out on the other side it may be too stretched to achieve the sound you are looking for. If your batter heads are full of dents and are used as resos they will probably sound terrible. I have seen this done before, but I have never done it.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
It also depends on your tuning habits. If you tune one side tighter than the other and swap it out on the other side it may be too stretched to achieve the sound you are looking for. If your batter heads are full of dents and are used as resos they will probably sound terrible. I have seen this done before, but I have never done it.
OK, I misread the OP, I guess. I wasn't thinking about putting the batters on the the reso side, I though you just meant using the reso side on the batter side. Stupid of me, now that I think about it.

don't see much point in doing that, really. It's just postponing the inevitable. May as well replace one head now rather than two later. If you can't afford heads right now, just keep playing them as they are until you can afford them.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:57 AM
Silver Member

I agree with IDD. It would work in an emergency situation if you rip a head setting up and use the reso for a batter, but if it is just for practice you might as well get new batters. If you have any rehearsal rentals that do backline in your area you can pick up slightly used heads really cheap. Only buy used heads if you absolutley have to though.