DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 PM

Default Seal of approval

Ahead drumsticks are a great way to save $$ and get a 5-star rating from myself

They are made out of a different material than wood, minimizing the overuse of wood and lengthening the shelf-life of your sticks because they don't break easily like your wood sticks do

I highly recommend them
Old 05-13-2011, 03:07 PM

Default Re: Seal of approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordword View Post
Ahead drumsticks are a great way to save $$ and get a 5-star rating from myself

They are made out of a different material than wood, minimizing the overuse of wood and lengthening the shelf-life of your sticks because they don't break easily like your wood sticks do

I highly recommend them
I would recommend the to light players. The plastic sleeves don't last 5 minutes and you end up playing your cymbals metal on metal. Beneath the plastic sleeving is a thin (and I mean thin) aluminium tube - which ended up cracking while playing. Also, the screw on nylon tips work themselves loose... I wouldn't waste your money...
Old 05-13-2011, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumzildjian View Post
I would recommend the to light players. The plastic sleeves don't last 5 minutes and you end up playing your cymbals metal on metal. Beneath the plastic sleeving is a thin (and I mean thin) aluminium tube - which ended up cracking while playing. Also, the screw on nylon tips work themselves loose... I wouldn't waste your money...
Oh really ? Is that why many top metal players use them ? I have been using them for well over 11 years playing metal. Sleeves last weeks sometimes months. Tips come off if you don't have them tightened. . . They aren't unbreakable. Nobody ever said they were. Drummers break and damage cymbals not sticks. If you damage a cymbal while playing with Aheads because a sleeve is worn down to core . . . oh well. That's the players fault. It doesn't take much to look the sticks over before playing. I have saved hundreds if not thousands by using Aheads.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
Oh really ? Is that why many top metal players use them ? I have been using them for well over 11 years playing metal. Sleeves last weeks sometimes months. Tips come off if you don't have them tightened. . . They aren't unbreakable. Nobody ever said they were. Drummers break and damage cymbals not sticks. If you damage a cymbal while playing with Aheads because a sleeve is worn down to core . . . oh well. That's the players fault. It doesn't take much to look the sticks over before playing. I have saved hundreds if not thousands by using Aheads.
> Is that why many top metal players use them ?
You bought them because you've seen joey use them.

> Sleeves last weeks sometimes months
Weeks? So... They are rubbish. Id rather just use a wooden pair for a few weeks.

> Tips come off if you don't have them tightened
Trust me - I tightened them good, using a piece of cardboard and plies. They just work themselves loose.

> Drummers break and damage cymbals not sticks.
WTF???

Whatever, Id rather not use plastic and metal to hit my cymbals with. If you want to save some money, buy 3B's...
Old 05-13-2011, 05:27 PM

...Or be even more metal and turn your wooden sticks around...
Old 05-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Is that why many top metal players use them ?
You bought them because you've seen joey use them. Ummmm . . No. I'm not a JJ fan.

Weeks? So... They are rubbish. Id rather just use a wooden pair for a few weeks. Good. Nothing wrong with that. If that works for you . . so be it.

Trust me - I tightened them good, using a piece of cardboard and plies. They just work themselves loose. If you use a bit of super glue they don't come loose. I have never had that problem in nearly 12 years but I'm not saying you didn't have that problem.

WTF??? Yes. That's right.

Whatever, Id rather not use plastic and metal to hit my cymbals with. If you want to save some money, buy 3B's... That's your preference. Not mine.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
Is that why many top metal players use them ?
You bought them because you've seen joey use them. Ummmm . . No. I'm not a JJ fan.

Weeks? So... They are rubbish. Id rather just use a wooden pair for a few weeks. Good. Nothing wrong with that. If that works for you . . so be it.

Trust me - I tightened them good, using a piece of cardboard and plies. They just work themselves loose. If you use a bit of super glue they don't come loose. I have never had that problem in nearly 12 years but I'm not saying you didn't have that problem.

WTF??? Yes. That's right.

Whatever, Id rather not use plastic and metal to hit my cymbals with. If you want to save some money, buy 3B's... That's your preference. Not mine.
Super glue won't work. It's not flexible, so a pointless exercise. And even it it did work, how would you propose to get the tip back off to replace the sleeves.

Drummers break and damage cymbals not sticks... I break more sticks than I do cymbals, that's for sure.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Gold Member

Alright, fellas. Lets clear an place in the middle of the floor so you two can duke it out.
Old 05-14-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
Alright, fellas. Lets clear an place in the middle of the floor so you two can duke it out.
Let's do it haha! These sticks seem like a good idea.... but... Hmm... not for me... Its preference. If he likes metal/plastic sticks... then good for him... Ive tried the Aheads, and I didn't like them. Ive tried the carbosticks... No good... As I said in previous posts, bulk buy average sticks and you will save money.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:10 AM

Ive used them, but right now i use wood sticks, i find its easier to grab a new pair of my wood ones than to take the sleeves off .etc.

Plus all 6 sets i used of the ahead ones snapped in half, sleeve and core. 2 of those sets had less than a days use in them and ahead refused to admit it lol.

$30 buys me 3 sets of wood sticks, and that will last me as long as one set of aheads
Old 05-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

[quote=ddrumzildjian;842036]Super glue won't work. It's not flexible, so a pointless exercise. And even it it did work, how would you propose to get the tip back off to replace the sleeves. Simple. Put the stick in a cloth towel, grip with pliers and twist. Off it comes. If I remember correctly the Ahead instructions suggest covering the tip with a business card then gripping with plies. I like the cloth method better.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimento View Post
Ive used them, but right now i use wood sticks, i find its easier to grab a new pair of my wood ones than to take the sleeves off .etc.

Plus all 6 sets i used of the ahead ones snapped in half, sleeve and core. 2 of those sets had less than a days use in them and ahead refused to admit it lol.

$30 buys me 3 sets of wood sticks, and that will last me as long as one set of aheads
My point exactly.....................