DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-08-2011, 09:43 AM

Default Recordermam OH method

Is the Recorderman overhead method still worthwhile even if you're micing all the drums individually? I have a 5 piece kit - 1 up 2 down and 5 cymbals. I see most people talking about the Recorderman method when there's no tom mics/bass drum mic, but I'll be micing everything individually anyway.

I wanna use this Recorderman method because it seems idiot proof and there's rules to work off whereas spaced pair and XY seems to be about pre-existing knowledge and trial and error. Knowing me there'll be a lot of error.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:01 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Recordermam OH method

It's just like any other overhead method. Actually, I don't usually bother micing up all my drums - the overheads do about 80% of the work anyway.

If you're serious about learning to record, learn the different methods. Recorderman works fine, but there are others and if you're actually serious, you won't take shortcuts. XY, AB and ORTF are really not hard - MS is a little harder but you can find all of the information for free online. It doesn't take any more than ten minutes to understand each method if you actually care enough to give it a go.

If you want to mic each drum, you're going to have to learn to mix properly. No shortcuts there, either.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreliscious View Post
Is the Recorderman overhead method still worthwhile even if you're micing all the drums individually? I have a 5 piece kit - 1 up 2 down and 5 cymbals. I see most people talking about the Recorderman method when there's no tom mics/bass drum mic, but I'll be micing everything individually anyway.

I wanna use this Recorderman method because it seems idiot proof and there's rules to work off whereas spaced pair and XY seems to be about pre-existing knowledge and trial and error. Knowing me there'll be a lot of error.
XY and spaced pair, IMO, are not especially different and are worth the minimal investment of time to spend time on.

I'd suspect you'll actually get yourself into phase trouble with recorderman + your tom mics - recorderman is best as a 3-mic setup (and even then I've had to flip the kick phase). But the "shoulder" mic will be almost 180 degrees to tom and snare mics, and possibly not 3x as far out, which is a recipe for phase hell.

I'd really suggest going minimal first - two overheads and kick (which will reveal far more about your playing and balance than you'll like to find out) - and THEN start adding stuff in. Starting with everything individually mic'd is actually going to be harder and force you to deal with more than you may be prepared to deal with.

The other benefit is going minimal, you can spread your budget between fewer mics and have something with resale value and good quality, and add as you decide you need to augment.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Never heard the term Recordermam, but overheads hear things differently than close-miking, and each is quite exclusive sound-wise. There are undoubtedly some instances where one method is preferrable, but typically you'd use both.

If you had to choose one, I'd go with the overheads, and just make sure the drums sound right and the cymbals are balanced with the kit. There have been only a few occasions where I used only 3 mics - sometimes less - but I don't recall ever recording only with close-miking. There were always overheads and usually room mics present.

Bermuda