DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-07-2011, 06:44 PM

Default Allowing for overtones in recording

I'm doing some home recording soon with my death metal band with some very basic gear. I've got a 13 x 6.5 steel snare and I'm either gunna use a Power Centre reverse dot, (single ply with a reverse dampening dot in the middle), or a HD without the holes, (2 ply skin with an outer muffling ring).

I use the Power Centre live because it gives a nice sense of the depth of the drum and it allows enough overtones for the drum to cut through, but I'm wondering if using the dryer sounding HD will help me in the mixing stage? Do I need as many overtones with recording as I do live? I don't want to be fighting them in the mix - a situation I'm worried I'll be in if I use the P.C, but at the same time I don't want my snare to sound boxy and lifeless - the situation I'm worried I'll be in if I use the HD.

Argh!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Allowing for overtones in recording

if you've got too many overtones noise gate that.

usually if you have open toms/snare with overtones it really adds a good thickness to the recording
Old 05-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreliscious View Post
I don't want my snare to sound boxy and lifeless - the situation I'm worried I'll be in if I use the HD.

Argh!
And that's exactly what will happen. Unless you want to spend hours trying to build the sound up using outboards, go for something with life in it. Far better to clip a few rings out of the sound if necessary. Unless it's a superb recording room, you spend a lot of time fighting that sterile dead feel to the recording, & that usually ends up sounding over processed. Let those drums sing, all of them!
Old 05-08-2011, 01:18 PM

+1 Don't kills your drums in recording. You can always take whatever you don't like away, but it is very hard to add to it. Noise gating will take care of what you don't like, and you will probably find that most of the ring won't be heard in the mix. It will add depth to it and bring everything together nicely.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:56 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniin View Post
if you've got too many overtones noise gate that.

usually if you have open toms/snare with overtones it really adds a good thickness to the recording
Exactly. By itself, a drum that rings or even has a 'boing' may sound offensive, but it's one of those psycho-acoustic things that isn't really detectable in the mix, yet gives the drums life. Without that genuine drum sound, the drums would sound thuddy. It seems like a little thing, but mixes are often about the little subtleties that can add a lot.

It's better to have the overtones there and deal with them later, than to record an altered sound and then try to bring the life back.

Bermuda