DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 05-06-2011, 11:56 PM

Default Need Advice on New Drum Pads

Hi Guys,

So I'm looking to purchase some new roland e-drum pads for my Yamaha Dtxtreme 3 module as i've got some money to burn, and I'm sick of the old rubber pads.

My question is, Would roland drum pads purchased from USA ( ebay ) work with an Australian module ?

( reason being, these pads in Australia are so damn over priced , the money I would be spending to buy here in Aus, I could go out and buy a brand new DW 4 piece kit lol )

Any help clarifying this would be seriously helpful !
Cheers
Old 05-08-2011, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Need Advice on New Drum Pads

is my understanding correct that drum pads are just piezo's underneath the head ? in which case the country of origin ( type of power ) of where you buy new drum pads shouldn't influence the way it communicates with the module ?

I just hope using American Roland drum pad won't blow up my australian module ? lol
Old 05-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Gold Member

Personally, I would get the new Yamaha TCS (textured silicon pads)...that way you won't lose any of the functionality that your module has (i.e., three way triggering)...with the roland pads at best you'll get two zones (and not consistently)...the TCS pads are also quieter and feel more realistic than mesh...

Last edited by scorch whammin; 05-08-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:32 PM

haha, thanks for the reply scorch :D

mate, I don't suppose you know anywhere online I can purchase the TCS yamaha pads? ( that also ship to Australia ?? )

Wow, I just found some prices on the individual pads from the yamaha online shop, wow... I would hope that they are really good, as they are double the initial estimate I was looking at for Roland Mesh Pads. ( not sure if this yamaha store ships to aus )

Do you use them scorch whammin ?

P.S. I was also looking into these jobeky mesh drums also

Last edited by Cringe; 05-08-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Gold Member

Hey Cringe, no actually I use the first generation DTXtreme RHP (real head pads) pads with the DTXtreme III/900 series module...these came originally with mylar (i.e., real drum heads)...I have since switched them over to mesh to quiet them down...these will work with your module as well (they show up on ebay from time to time)...and I personally like them better than roland mesh...a little less bouncy (they use a full foam insert and reflection plates) and they trigger two zones on pads more consistently with your module and of course they are much nicer looking than anything roland makes:)...attached below is a pic of my e-kit...regarding the TCS pads..RMCaudio.com may ship to Aus? not sure.. (http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/)...I know they sell them, just not sure if they ship worldwide...

Last edited by scorch whammin; 05-09-2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:48 PM

So I ended up buying just one roland pad to double check that they work.
The roland main head triggers perfectly and im very happy with it,

But unfortunately I am having alot of trouble trying to get the rim trigger to work, Scorch Have you had any problems with this ?

I understand that these roland PD120 pads are dual trigger pads, And I can live without having a cross-stick sound on my roland snare pad, but I really want to try and make this roland dual trigger function as a Snare Rim Shot sound.
I can't find much information on this subject, I'm thinking about trying to upgrade the firmware on my yamaha dtxtreme , but im not sure if there is anything else I can do to make this better

any ideas guys ? :(
Old 05-13-2011, 01:00 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Potentially silly question.

Are you using a stereo cable? The number of times I've made that mistake...
Old 05-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringe View Post
So I ended up buying just one roland pad to double check that they work.
The roland main head triggers perfectly and im very happy with it,

But unfortunately I am having alot of trouble trying to get the rim trigger to work, Scorch Have you had any problems with this ?

I understand that these roland PD120 pads are dual trigger pads, And I can live without having a cross-stick sound on my roland snare pad, but I really want to try and make this roland dual trigger function as a Snare Rim Shot sound.
I can't find much information on this subject, I'm thinking about trying to upgrade the firmware on my yamaha dtxtreme , but im not sure if there is anything else I can do to make this better

any ideas guys ? :(
Yea..as I stated earlier..."at best you'll get two zones (and not consistently)"...with the roland pads I remember haaving to strike the rim pretty hard to get the 2nd zone to work and even then it was not consistent...you're best bet if you want consistent triggering is the new yamaha TCS pads....
Old 05-13-2011, 01:44 PM

scorch, have u tried using the roland mesh kickpad with a yamaha module ?
Old 05-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

No I haven't but I would think it would work fine (both kicks are piezo triggers/single zone)...I've done it the other way (i.e., roland module with my Yamaha KP120..no problems)