DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-14-2006, 01:31 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Alex Van Halen

i no he used an e-kit on some of it. also, he uses paiste, so it's probably paiste
Old 04-14-2006, 04:42 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Alex Van Halen Reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestrecovering
I have always loved Alex's style and especially the huge customized Ludwig kits. Did you know that Alex actually started their career playing with a Tama Crystar "acrylic" drum outfit? Then eventually switched to Ludwig.
I saw Genesis (that's what Van Halen was called) summer of 1970, free concert in Hastings Ranch Park, and Alex was playing Ludwigs.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:20 PM
firesticks

alex van halen as far as i'm concernd is one
of the top 5 all around drummers in the world.
this man is a true great. the differn't styles he
puts in his drumming and soloing you dont
here other drummers do PERIOD. hes a true
legend and yes hes much better than john bonham.
i have been playing for 35 years i know whats going on.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Senior Administrator

oooh welldone. two posts and you've revealed alot ...about yourself, not much about drumming tho.

Quote:
Some of Al's early bands, all of which included Edward in the mix, were The Broken Combs (who performed lunchtime concerts at Hamilton Elementary School and featured Alex on saxophone), The Trojan Rubber Company, Genesis, and The Space Brothers. Among his influences are Buddy Rich, Keith Moon, John Bonham and Ginger Baker.
Alex would disagree with you.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 04-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Stu_Strib

Alex Van Halen, an all-around drummer? You mean all around the 80s rock music drummer?
Old 04-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Before David Lee Roth joined the brothers, he was in Red Ball Jet (horrible, just bloody horrible band) in 1970. When he joined Genesis (Van Halen), they had a different bass player (Mark Stone). The boys changed the name to Mammoth ('cause the English band Genesis was breaking). Then another name change to Space Brothers (and they briefly had a keyboard player). Name change back to Mammoth (Mark Stone left, Mike Anthony entered the picture). Name change to Van Halen around 1974. All thru those years they were a cover band. Did a few Budgie songs. Captain Beyond. Lots of Black Sabbath. I don't remember them ever doing any Leppelin covers, and I never thought Alex to have a Bonham influence. Heavily influenced by Ray Phillips and Pete Boot (both Budgie drummers). And Frank Beard.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:38 AM
firesticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway
Before David Lee Roth joined the brothers, he was in Red Ball Jet (horrible, just bloody horrible band) in 1970. When he joined Genesis (Van Halen), they had a different bass player (Mark Stone). The boys changed the name to Mammoth ('cause the English band Genesis was breaking). Then another name change to Space Brothers (and they briefly had a keyboard player). Name change back to Mammoth (Mark Stone left, Mike Anthony entered the picture). Name change to Van Halen around 1974. All thru those years they were a cover band. Did a few Budgie songs. Captain Beyond. Lots of Black Sabbath. I don't remember them ever doing any Leppelin covers, and I never thought Alex to have a Bonham influence. Heavily influenced by Ray Phillips and Pete Boot (both Budgie drummers). And Frank Beard.
dude what are you talking about heres another fine exsample of someone opening there mouth and nothing coming out. alex van halen 3 main influances were keith moon, ginger baker and buddy ritch he was NOT a big fan of john bonham in almost 30 years i hered him mention bonham twice.
please you people need to check out other sites and see bonham is'nt much most drummers find him good a best and overrated. dont take my word for it look arround and see for you self.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesticks
dude what are you talking about heres another fine exsample of someone opening there mouth and nothing coming out. alex van halen 3 main influances were keith moon, ginger baker and buddy ritch he was NOT a big fan of john bonham in almost 30 years i hered him mention bonham twice.
please you people need to check out other sites and see bonham is'nt much most drummers find him good a best and overrated. dont take my word for it look arround and see for you self.
My words exactly as you quoted them, "I don't remember them ever doing' any Zeppelin covers, and I never thought Alex to have a Bonham influence" So where do I say anything contrary. I can't say I quite know where you're coming from. I mention the 2 drummers from Budgie and Frank Beard as influences. Van Halen did ZZ Top covers and Budgie covers. Alex even set up his Ludwigs in similar fashion to Pete Boot, right after the "In for the Kill" album came out. Van Halen used to do a song called "Eyes In The Night" in which they pretty blatently copied the chorus from "Whiskey River" by Budgie. Later they stopped doing that song 'cause it was a little to close to plagerism.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:18 AM
Pioneer Member

You know, Ive been listening to VH for a while, and I never really played their stuff. It is really fun though. I know this might sound a little dumb, but playing along to Dance the Night Away is actually really fun. Same with Jamies Crying and some other stuff. Try it.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:39 AM

Why is it dumb.? I love jammin to VH tunes.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:49 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Agreed, not dumb at all. Van Halen has some great songs to jam to.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:59 AM
Pioneer Member

Well, I figured that most people would jam to Hot for Teacher and not Dance the Night Away.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:36 AM

Dance has the cool little cowbell riff at the beginning, and its got a good laid back groove. Even though Alex wasnt really influenced by Bonham their styles are quite similar in that alot of Alex's stuff is more based on feel than technique. I've heard alot of guys play VH songs note for note but it still didnt have that great feel that Alex has.

Last edited by lilblakdak; 04-21-2006 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinj
Well, I figured that most people would jam to Hot for Teacher and not Dance the Night Away.
There are good songs to play too on every album. The two songs you named I like to jam to the least. I like to play H.F.T. in clubs (never really at home) because it gets everyone going. And "Dance" gets played on radio so much I can do w/out it.

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Old 04-15-2006, 09:26 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinj
Ybut playing along to Dance the Night Away is actually really fun. Same with Jamies Crying and some other stuff. Try it.

Or you can jam to Tone Loc "Funky Cold Medina" since that is a sample of Jamie's Cryin'.

Van Halen I, is one of the best albums in rock 'n roll history (top 10 in my book).
Old 04-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
you have a weird way of winning people's agreement. first of all, phrases like: ' fine exsample of someone opening there mouth and nothing coming out' show acomplete lack of respect for another member or the rules of the forum. second of all you need to humble yourself A LOT. there are plenty of instances and citations where alex has mentioned john as his hero or influence including interviews with him in modern drummer, drummerworld and a load of forums. i strongly suggest that members shouldn't take your word for it because a simple google search for the terms 'alex van halen bonham' will show how sorely mistaken you are. i have a giant collection of drumming magazines and bonham's name is in nearly every one. i suggest you check out other sites and see that bonham is 'much most drummers find him good a best'.

j

ps: i stand by my DW forum rule:
DONT BASH BONZO

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 04-16-2006, 06:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firesticks
alex van halen as far as i'm concernd is one
of the top 5 all around drummers in the world.
this man is a true great. the differn't styles he
puts in his drumming and soloing you dont
here other drummers do PERIOD. hes a true
legend and yes hes much better than john bonham.
i have been playing for 35 years i know whats going on.
And 36 years ago I was watching Van Halen (Genesis) play live...
Old 04-29-2006, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlDrummer014
this guys reel good. i love his octobans on the dvd. really cool solo.

what dvd is that? ive seen live without net, and i dont hear him use them what so ever :(

i think they are more of a "show off" :)

cool snare he has.. great drumming
Old 04-29-2006, 02:21 AM

i think he's talking about the toronto gig they did during the " balance " tour......it was aired on much music, and rumour has it the band wanted to make it into a dvd.....i have a copy of that gig, it was stellar.............
Old 04-29-2006, 05:19 AM

Alex needs to make a video like most drummers are doing. Not for the money of course. Just to show first hand some of his more complicated drumming. And what he is up to in his drumming today. I would definatly buy it.

Mikey B
Old 04-29-2006, 12:19 PM

good call mike......alex is definitely a lot more techincal than he shows on the van halen albums.....i think he's like eddie though.......prefers to stay out of the spotlight when he can......just wants to play......
i wish the van halen brothers would get off their asses and do something though.....they are far too talented to let it all fall apart...............
Old 04-30-2006, 07:06 AM

I always wondered if Alex got offers to play on albums w/people other than VH. Like Tommy Lee and I belive Bozzio did on a Richard Marx album about 12-15 years ago.
What about AVH, Billy Sheehan and Alex Lifeson? That might be very cool.

Mikey B
Old 05-01-2006, 04:47 PM

AVH is my and has been my hero ever since my dad introduced him to me when i started drumming 6 years ago i have been tryin to play that hot for teacher part for 3 years and i cant do it however much i try and i would love to see him do a clinic with thomas lang he is one of the most inspirational drummers to me anyway.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

I love to listen to him he is a very good drummer, in fact, my dad named me after him(Alex was a family name anyway)
Old 05-18-2006, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz
Eddie is definitely the most talented, while Michael Anthony.....well.....
Ok...jump into a fray with my first post...sheez. As I read through so many of these posts one thing becomes clear. A constant barrage of "technical playing" makes one a great drummer. In other words, if one isn't Neil Peart or Carl Palmer, you can forget about being considered great by certain types of folks. The style has to fit the music. Can you just hear Peart style drumming with Van Halen or AC/DC? It just won't work. That certainly doesn't mean AVH, Phil Rudd, or Eric Carr aren't exceptionally good drummers. They are. It's sorta like folks who argue about football statistics. Roger Staubach didn't have near the QB numbers that Danny White had with the Cowboys, but who would argue that White was a greater QB than Staubach? Same is true for musicians. Even bass players. As a long time bass player, I gotta say that Michael Anthony is a great player. While he might not slap and pop away like Flea of Red Hot Chili Peppers, but he has some of the best bass fills of any rock bassist out there. And, yes, he was a major influence of mine.

Listen to the musician in context of the music and you can find greatness.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Or you can jam to Tone Loc "Funky Cold Medina" since that is a sample of Jamie's Cryin'..
Actually, the tune that samples Jamie's Cryin' is Wild Thing. Funky Cold Medina is a good tune too. :)
Old 06-20-2006, 10:35 PM

Alex Van Halen is a champion!!! He's one of the ol' time greatest rock drummers. I think one way to describe his drumming would simply be "Cool"! The guy was a solid drummer and his style of drumming suited the type of music being played perfectly.

I love all the albums from Van Halen 1 right up to OU812 preferably and those albums are ageing like fine wine. I've been a fan of Alex since I was a kid in the early 80's and I'm just as big a fan now. I've shown heaps of dudes the "Live Without a Net" video (thank God it's on DVD now!) over the years and blown them away at the sheer power of that concert and the awesome vibe it generates. The guys are having such a good time and they convey that feeling to the audience and to the viewer!! It never fails to amaze me at how entertaining they are and the audience is just captivated........

Of course it helps to have a powerful stereo with very powerful bassy speakers so you can blow your friends ear drums off as they soak up an awesome, entertaining, thoroughly enjoyable audio & visual experience. Sammy Hagar's singing in that concert is incredible. I'm waiting for a live Van Halen DVD with Dave Lee Roth fronting the band in a well recorded concert from the early 80's.

I guess I'm lucky that I can appreciate both singers!

Enjoy Alex's beats.... the dude ROCKS!!!!!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 05:28 PM

I guess I'm lucky that I can appreciate both singers!

I like them both. I think as for truely strong voice it would go to Sammy. As showmanship and character goes it would be Dave. There is a VH compilation out (not sure how old) that has a song from Dave then Sammy and so on through the whole thing. I like that better than first half is Dave and second is Sammy.
Alex is one of my biggest influences and one of the reasons I started to play drums in 87. Got my double bass and H. F. T. was the first song I wanted to learn. Wasnt it everybodys?

Mikey B

Last edited by mikeybbdrummin; 06-24-2006 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:41 AM

BIG Alex Van halen, simply one of the top ten drummers
of all time. love the differnt styles he puts in his drumming.
perffect timing and the list go's on.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath
I first saw Van Halen in concert back in 1980 or '81. It was an amazing show, but everything was kind of lost in the shadow of David Lee Roth. Not that I'm complaining. He's a tremendous showman. Alex Van Halen was great way back then, and it's been interesting following his drumming from album to album.

I don't think that the band Van Halen gets enough credit for bringing rock and roll back into the mind of a world that was being hypnotised by disco.

"I look at Van Halen as social workers. What we're really doing is creating jobs for rock critics." - Alex Van Halen, Creem Magazine, May 1984
I also saw them at that time DB, and decided after the Diver Down tour I would never pay money to see DLR ever again ! Both times I saw him (Women and Child 1st, DD tours), Dave was so out of it he couldn't get words out !! Sammy Hagar, best thing to happen to VH EVER !!! Alex Rocks !! I saw them w/ Sammy and the energy was OVER THE TOP !
Old 07-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpscuz
Sammy Hagar, best thing to happen to VH EVER !!!
No way....DLR over Sammy anyday!
OU812 is a good Cd thou despite having Sammy....I like AFU Naturally Wired....
Alex is a beast on that one.....
Old 07-18-2006, 07:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpscuz
Sammy Hagar, best thing to happen to VH EVER !!!
You are kidding right?

DLR is what made VH great. DLR solo was a catastrophe I will admit. But Sammy cannot sing the old songs at all. Van Hagar is just a pop rock band. Definitely not even close to the innovative band with DLR.

DLR screwing up the lyrics at shows and being hammered is part of what made them great. His arrogance, stage presence and being almost like a stand up comic on stage was amazing!

Remember, even on their studio albums, Dave was constantly messing up with his timing (Listen to the break in unchained), laughing and joking (Bottoms Up, Unchained, Ice Cream Man, Everybody Wants Some and so many others) that people should have realized that DLR is DLR. It is his "don't give a crap" attitude that made the music fun. He was just having a great time and people loved it. They never tried to hide the mistakes.

I hope someday they will do a reunion with DLR. I am sure that it wont happen though.

Alex usually kept pretty simple beats so that Eddie and DLR could go nuts. He laid a great foundation.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:59 PM

i have been drumming for 17 years and i would
have to say when it comes to all out drumming
alex van halen is king. i have been following big
al's career since age 5 hes a true drummer/musician
love the styles he puts in his playing.to me hes the best
hands down. ps nice drum site.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Unfortunately, I never had the chance to see Van Halen...but I've loved all of their stuff. I tend to lean towards Sammy over Dave, but both of them were great. I absolutely love the 5150 album.

Alex is a phenomenal drummer. His drumming always amazed me. Of course, how could you not go crazy hearing "Hot For Teacher"?

I would love for them to do a reunion, whether it'd be with Sammy or Dave.

birch
Old 07-20-2006, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei
You are kidding right?

DLR is what made VH great. DLR solo was a catastrophe I will admit. But Sammy cannot sing the old songs at all. Van Hagar is just a pop rock band. Definitely not even close to the innovative band with DLR.

DLR screwing up the lyrics at shows and being hammered is part of what made them great. His arrogance, stage presence and being almost like a stand up comic on stage was amazing!

Remember, even on their studio albums, Dave was constantly messing up with his timing (Listen to the break in unchained), laughing and joking (Bottoms Up, Unchained, Ice Cream Man, Everybody Wants Some and so many others) that people should have realized that DLR is DLR. It is his "don't give a crap" attitude that made the music fun. He was just having a great time and people loved it. They never tried to hide the mistakes.

I hope someday they will do a reunion with DLR. I am sure that it wont happen though.

Alex usually kept pretty simple beats so that Eddie and DLR could go nuts. He laid a great foundation.
amen ! :) totaly agree.. allthough i really liked hagars voice in the song dreams
Old 07-20-2006, 06:26 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernal drummer
amen ! :) totaly agree.. allthough i really liked hagars voice in the song dreams
Amen. Love the song dreams. My daughters even do. That is a good album!
Old 07-23-2006, 10:29 AM

Alex was one of my heroes when I first started playing back in the mid 80s. I still pop in VH cds to jam along with. He always has at least one of those fills that sounds like he's falling down the stairs and landing on his feet. Sometimes, it sounds totally random but he still manages to pull it off. Very Bonham-esque, in that balls out, just going for it kind of way.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:06 PM

Alex Van halen, what a great drummer the pure best
in my book. i have been drumming since 1966 so
i have pretty much seen and herd them all. BIG AL!
IS THE MAN IT DOESNT GET ANY BETTER THAN HIM.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:04 PM

I gotta say I like his solos. Sure he can get a little sloppy but that's what rock and roll is about (for me, anyway). Plus Alex is one of the last remaining rock drummers who seem to have that jazz/big band drummer thing going like Bonham Baker, and Mitchell. Most rock drummers today sound like all they listen to is other rock drummers. There are exceptions but on whole... He also seems to get a little better as time goes on (I sat and watched all the Alex solos on youtube one day!). Plus he just looks like he's having the time of his life. Roth was right. He said you can replace him and the band can go on but Alex is really the heart of VH. Take him away and they're half as good.

---LG
Old 07-25-2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themac5150
He always has at least one of those fills that sounds like he's falling down the stairs and landing on his feet.
That's such a cool and funny way to describe some of his fills coz it makes perfect sense. It reminds me of the percussion you'd hear in Bugs Bunny cartoons when a character would fall down the stairs. Seriously though, Alex can rip awesome fills flawlessly! Songs like "Girl Gone Bad" from "1984" and "Get Up" from "5150" come to mind. Also the way he maintains and carries a song like "Source of Infection" from "OU812" is so cool man... heavy duty, kick ass drumming by one of the best!