DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-04-2011, 12:50 AM

Default Which Heads For My New Maple Kit?

I have recently purchased a Ddrum Dios Maple series drum kit. Never had a maple kit before, but I was just wondering what heads people would recommend. I am an Evans fan, although so far, I've been told Remo for maple kit - Not sure why... (I think they were Remo lovers) I really want to bring out the warmth and tone of the maple, so maybe something coated? Drum sizes are:
(WxD) 22x20, 12x8, 16x14

It's really just the two toms I am bothered about...
Old 05-04-2011, 01:00 AM
audiotech

Default Re: Which Heads For My New Maple Kit?

What type of music do you play?

Dennis
Old 05-04-2011, 01:03 AM

Post Hardcore :/ I recently had the EC2s over EC Reso's. Didn't like the sound of them on my birch kit. Would the sound be noticably different on a maple kit?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:11 AM
Silver Member

If you didn't likethem on your birch kit then you probable wont like them on the maple.
In fact they probably will sound duller because of it. Stick to a regular single or double ply coated. The favorites are g1/ambassador coated or g2/emperor coated.
However you may want to look into the Aquarian Super 2 coated, aquarian response 2 coated or aquarian tc. . I have a maple kit and i'm using aquarian super 2 clear and it sounds phenomenal.
All of these heads will you give a warm sound now it depends on brand and how open or focused you want the drums to sound.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:25 AM

Mate, this is Australia. Do you know how hard it is to locate a store that sells Aquarians! It's all Evans and Remo. Im an Evans fan. I like their design and theories. Quality is rather good too, they just feel like a better constructed head...
Old 05-05-2011, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumzildjian View Post
Mate, this is Australia. Do you know how hard it is to locate a store that sells Aquarians! It's all Evans and Remo. Im an Evans fan. I like their design and theories. Quality is rather good too, they just feel like a better constructed head...
Pinstripe coated on the batter or Emperor X's.

That's what I'd use personally. Remo make better tom heads and bass drum heads than Evans in my opinion, however. Evans snare heads I've heard good things about, I prefer Aquarian too but obviously they're a hard find. Even in the UK.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

If you're an Evans fan then look to coated or clear G2s over clear G1s. I prefer coated myself, but either will work.

I personally don't care much between Evans and Remo and I've been playing on maple drums for most of the last 20 years. I just switched over to Remo Emps over Ambs from G2s over G1s and I don't notice a whole lot of difference, and whatever difference there is, I don't mind. I could just as easily go back to G2s next time.

I just don't like heads with built in dampening like Pinstripes and other "dry" heads. I like my drums wide open and if I do need a little dampening (practically never) I can use a little tape or moongels.

Last edited by MikeM; 05-05-2011 at 09:01 PM.