DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-02-2011, 08:36 AM

Default Breaking stick tips

It seems like recently I have been breaking a lot of tips on my sticks. I use Pro Mark Japan Oak, 5B wood tip sticks. The sticks are very durable usually which is why I have stuck with them. So is this probably bad technique, or just some bad luck with the sticks. I've even thought about changing sticks if it is a problem with the sticks, because they are up to nearly $10 a pair now and are not lasting as long as they used to.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Breaking stick tips

The problem is you're using wood tip sticks. Pro-Mark's nylon tips are awesome. It'll brighten your ride cymbal sound, which you may or may not like, but that's the trade-off. No difference on hi-hats or drums.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Gold Member

If you like woods tips, but hate breaking them, check the regal tip E-series sticks. It's a nylon tip, but it's specially designed to sound like a wood tip, and it really does. You can check it out on their website. They're available in 5A, 5B, and 2B.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Silver Member

Maybe oak is too dense, and the tip would tend to have less give wouldn't it? Just throwing this out there. I really don't know, but it sounds good in my head.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:53 PM

Im all for wooden tip sticks. The reason being there is a bond between the nylon tip and the stick itself. I find these tips just fly off and hit people in the face! I am forever breaking stick. I will go through 10 sets in 3 months easy. People say "You're drumming technique is all wrong" Errr no, maybe it is something to do with playing rims shots on the snare. Gotta love rim shots. Dude, if you want my advice, and it has saved me a lot of money over the past few years is to buy the cheapest sticks you can find and get a discount for buying in bulk. 10 lots will cost me <$50.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumzildjian View Post
Im all for wooden tip sticks. The reason being there is a bond between the nylon tip and the stick itself. I find these tips just fly off and hit people in the face! I am forever breaking stick. I will go through 10 sets in 3 months easy. People say "You're drumming technique is all wrong" Errr no, maybe it is something to do with playing rims shots on the snare. Gotta love rim shots. Dude, if you want my advice, and it has saved me a lot of money over the past few years is to buy the cheapest sticks you can find and get a discount for buying in bulk. 10 lots will cost me <$50.
That's why I've been thinking about switching. I love the sticks I use but I just bought 2 pairs and it cost me $20. And they don't sell them in packs, so I think I'll start looking at different sticks.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNA View Post
That's why I've been thinking about switching. I love the sticks I use but I just bought 2 pairs and it cost me $20. And they don't sell them in packs, so I think I'll start looking at different sticks.
Yeah. I had the same problem. I purchased a Zildjian pair one time (5Bs) and snapped them within a few days. Buy in bulk, save loads... Obviously, they are worse quality and snap more frequency, I would say 2 pairs would out last one pair.

- If you snap one of the expensive ones, you have to go and buy another pair...

- If you snap a cheap on, you have 3 spare sticks because you got 2 pairs for the same price.

The more you use this method, the more you are going to save. And trust me, it will be a BIG saving. You do the math.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Vater guarantees that nylon tips on their sticks will never come off.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
Doesn't mean anything really... Doesn't mean they won't come off... I guess I've just had a bad experience with nylon tips... And my guitarists face...
Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
And so has Pro-Mark, since the mid-90's, and I guess they've backed it up pretty well. I used to have a nylon tip come off now & then prior, but since they changed... whatever they changed, not one has come off. I've been in several groups that required me to play pretty heavy-handed too. I don't snap them either- my sticks just whittle gradually 'til they don't sound good anymore. So, I guess it IS a technique thing.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:15 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Doesn't mean anything really... Doesn't mean they won't come off... I guess I've just had a bad experience with nylon tips... And my guitarists face...
Surely hitting the guitarist's face counts as a bonus?
Old 05-06-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Surely hitting the guitarist's face counts as a bonus?
Haha. You could say that! The other thing - If your nylon tips comes of - Your head is buggered. Not cheap keep replacing heads...
Old 05-07-2011, 10:33 AM

I guess I'll check out the nylon tips. Maybe I'll try some Vater's again, I recall having a few pairs once and they seemed to last a long time.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:03 PM
xymbalreborn

SilverFox Drumsticks

The plastic tips don't break off and the sticks are dipped in this thing called Duracrylx which prolongs stick life.

Check them out:
http://silverfoxpercussion.com/silverfox/