DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-30-2011, 04:14 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Finishing the inside of the shell

I was thinking about finishing the insides of my DW drum shells. It seems like there is some kind of finish on the inside, but I'm not sure. I was wondering what finishing the insides would do to the sound. Also, tone-wise, what is the best choice? Lacquer? Polyurethane? Coconut water?

Does anybody know if the insides of Collectors are finished? With what?
I should know this but I don't.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Finishing the inside of the shell

I believe finishing the insides with some kind of lacquer increases the drum's projection because the reflective surface of the drum has been enhanced? That Ford Drum video I posted to your other thread covers this issue--they finish the insides of their drums.

Recording Customs have smooth, stained finishes on the inside. I can't remember if Collectors have an internal finish. I did learn from Just Drums Online that Ludwig apparently applies some kind of finish to the insides of the shells on both the Classic Maples and Legacy Classics. Bermuda might be able to confirm this.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 AM
Crazy8s

You don't need any lacquer or poly or anything fancy at all for the insides of your drums. One of the nicest things you can do to the inside of the drum is melt some good smelling candle wax and rub it lightly into the shell with a cotton cloth. It wll seal out moisture and ensure the shells integrity, and also up the brightness of the drum a slight bit.

It will cost you a quarter and some elbow grease.

(colored candlewax will tint the wood. Choose the color wisely.)
Old 04-30-2011, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

I'm not so sure the nature of the finish is that important, but the end result sure is. The smoother the finish can be, the cleaner/crisper sound you should get. Of course, that's not for everyone. I really don't think it matters if this is achieved by adding something to the shell, or jusT finishing the shell to a very high standard then applying a light coating of something to seal it (way, tung oil, etc). A lacquer of sorts may offer an increase in surface hardness, & this may further brighten the sound, & possibly aid projection slightly. Never tested that out though, so I'm only guessing. I suspect the affect would be slight, if at all, & synthetic coatings may be harder in the finish. Too big a layer on the inside of a thin shell would be counter productive IMO.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Gold Member

My Collector's snare is lacquer. I did however take all the hardware off my toms, hand sanded all those lathe lines out, finished with ultra fine steel wool, stained them with early american minwax then took Johnsons furnature wax and hand rubbed them. They look prestine and now have that hand-finished look.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:03 AM

If the inside is rough, take some fine sandpaper or fine steel wool and smooth it out. Then take some paste car wax and apply a good coat of wax. This will seal the shells from moisture and give you a nice looking finish. John
Old 05-04-2011, 02:10 AM
Administrator

Tung Oil works great. You can rub it in look at it rub in some more if needed or wanted.

Tung oil or China wood oil is a drying oil obtained by pressing the seed from the nut of the tung tree (Vernicia fordii). As a drying oil, tung oil hardens (dries) upon exposure to air. The resulting coating is transparent plastic-like and is exploited in most of its applications, which include wood finishing and the composition of oil paints and printing inks. Related drying oils include linseed, safflower, poppy, and soybean.[2] The oil and its use are believed to have originated long ago in China, and appear in the writings of Confucius from about 400 B.C.

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 05-04-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:35 AM
"Uncle Larry"

But does Tung oil change the sound? I would be doing this more for sound than looks or sealant reasons. Although Nodiggie's shells probably look killer.

Wax sounds to me like it would be a softer surface than the wood and would absorb sound reflections. Same thing with oil. Of course I'm guessing. I'm thinking hard surfaces would be better for the inside of a drum. Is poly harder than wood? Is lacquer harder than wood?
Old 05-04-2011, 02:38 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I was thinking about finishing the insides of my DW drum shells. It seems like there is some kind of finish on the inside, but I'm not sure. I was wondering what finishing the insides would do to the sound. Also, tone-wise, what is the best choice? Lacquer? Polyurethane? Coconut water?

Does anybody know if the insides of Collectors are finished? With what?
I should know this but I don't.
Just be careful if you have a warranty. I know with Mapex, you void your warranty by doing anything to the inside of the shell.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:47 AM
Crazy8s

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
But does Tung oil change the sound? I would be doing this more for sound than looks or sealant reasons. Although Nodiggie's shells probably look killer.

Wax sounds to me like it would be a softer surface than the wood and would absorb sound reflections. Same thing with oil. Of course I'm guessing. I'm thinking hard surfaces would be better for the inside of a drum. Is poly harder than wood? Is lacquer harder than wood?
It isn't hardness that matters. It is the texture. Consider how the egg-container shaped foam on studio walls reduces sound reflections. Unfinished wood acts like a miniature version of the egg-container. Sealing the wood with wax, oil or paint/lacquer seals the pores, making the little pockets in between the grain less 'pockety'.

If sound is your main concern, then don't be all that concerned cus the acoustic differences are very minute and few people would actually be able to hear the difference. Especially us with cymbal-wracked ears.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:31 PM

I sealed the interiors of my Gretsch Catalina maples with Teak oil and it made a noticible difference in both sound and looks. Its labor intensive but very rewarding.

Gretsch and Paiste
Old 06-17-2012, 11:53 PM

Default The Bearing Edge

I am in the process of putting a 13" Tom together using a Blank Birch Shell,What i plan to do is to use 2 or 3 coats Danish Oil inside and out followed by Varnish on the outside so it looks similar to the rest of my Kit,Now my question is should the Bearing Edges be treated ?.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:08 AM

My DW collector's (4 kits from 94-12) have all appeared to have a very light sealant on the interiors. I've got 2 snares. One with a high-gloss lacquer interior(5x14 10+6) and the other(4x14 10+6) like the kits. I will say that the snare with the gloss interior is much brighter drum than the other. Hope that helps.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The Bearing Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0127frey View Post
Now my question is should the Bearing Edges be treated ?.
No.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 PM

Default Re: The Bearing Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0127frey View Post
I am in the process of putting a 13" Tom together using a Blank Birch Shell,What i plan to do is to use 2 or 3 coats Danish Oil inside and out followed by Varnish on the outside so it looks similar to the rest of my Kit,Now my question is should the Bearing Edges be treated ?.
You can put a very light sealer on them or rub them down with wax to keep moisture out if that's a concern where you are. Personally, I put a coat of lemon Pledge on my edges when I remove the heads, or clean the drums. It's light and will offer some protection without building up over time. And they smell fantastic! lol
Old 06-19-2012, 08:30 PM
Gold Member

http://www.ghostnote.net/vbforum/sho...hell-Finishing
Old 07-05-2012, 11:42 PM

I finished the inside of my Mapex Meridian maple shells with 4 coats of Tung oil on the bass drum/toms and 6 coats on the snare. I did sand the shells with fine grit paper and steel wool fist. I am very happy with the end result and sound.
Attached Images

Old 07-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Gold Member

Trilogy,

Sonically, did you hear a difference in your drums before/after? If so, what was it? I'm very interested to hear.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsabol View Post
Trilogy,

Sonically, did you hear a difference in your drums before/after? If so, what was it? I'm very interested to hear.
They sound a bit more punchy and slightly brighter on the toms and bass drum but not by much. The snare had the same results as the toms/bass but also noticeably increased in volume. I used the same heads and tuning after I did this to try and get a good comparison. I did this mostly to protect them from the Florida heat and humidity.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:04 AM

Woah Trilogy, that color is BEAUTIFUL.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECU_Drummer View Post
Woah Trilogy, that color is BEAUTIFUL.
Thanks, ECU! It's an awesome job Mapex did on this finish not to mention it's on a mid level kit. Too bad they discontinued this and most of the other lacquer finishes on the Meridian line.