DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-27-2011, 05:50 PM

Default Mapex Hardware

Hello. I've heard it said more than once that Mapex hardware is not that great compared to the other hardware out there. I haven't had a chance to really inspect it, so I'm curious about these comments.

Thoughts?
Old 04-27-2011, 06:20 PM
sticks4drums

Default Re: Mapex Hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ting_Thing View Post
Hello. I've heard it said more than once that Mapex hardware is not that great compared to the other hardware out there. I haven't had a chance to really inspect it, so I'm curious about these comments.

Thoughts?
Probably said by people that have not used it ever or in a while. All the companies have great things about their hardware, and crappy things about their hardware. I have all Mapex drums, and think they have the best Ball and socket tom mounts out there. Look at Pearl. They continue to make that awful looking and working tom mount system. I have yet to meet anyone that actually likes it. I love DW's cymbal tension adjusters. Best in the business as far as I am concerned. I think Ludwig's hardware looks like it is 10 years behind the game. Even in the 80's when I got my Tama Imperialstar kit, the Ludwig stuff was horrible compared to what Tama was creating. I love the ball and socket snare stand that Mapex puts out. It is just heavy enough and so easy to get the exact position you are after. DW's snare stand is awful. I have one on my Roland kit and hate it. Mapex's triple combo stands are one of the best looking and performing out there. DW's multi stands are functional but ugly.

I guess my point is they all have something they are good at. Best thing to do is check it out for yourself. If I had listened to everyone I would not have my Saturn's that I love so much.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:07 AM

I own A Pro M kit and it came with a hardware pack. All the stands are rock solid. Never had a single problem with any stand. I agree with the ball and socket comment above. Their tom mounting systems are very well designed. Never had anything slip and everything is easily adjustable. Every stand I have also came with memory locks on every section of the stand. I highly recommend Mapex hardware, thats for sure.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

The Mapex hardware is very good, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. The ball in socket tilter on the boom and snare stands is great. They've really stepped up their game with hardware over the last decade
Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Mapex hardware is quite good. I still use a Mapex bass drum pedal and hi-hat stand, even though I no longer have a Mapex kit. Most of the hardware on the churck kit I play is Mapex.

By the way, I like the Pearl tom mounting system.

Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 04-28-2011, 09:57 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
Mapex hardware is quite good. I still use a Mapex bass drum pedal and hi-hat stand, even though I no longer have a Mapex kit. Most of the hardware on the churck kit I play is Mapex.

By the way, I like the Pearl tom mounting system.

Peace and goodwill.
Thats one. :) ..............................
Old 04-29-2011, 02:04 AM
Gold Member

I dont own a Mapex kit or hardware but I do have a Black Panther snare and have done my research and seen and played some Mapex stuff.
I am overall VERY impressed with what they have been doing lately.

I love the look and the action on their stands and hardware. Its very solid.

Dont get me started on their pedals and snares. Great stuff, but thats another thread. :)
Old 04-30-2011, 09:43 AM

I can't say that I'm familiar with lots of different manufacturers hardware, but when I was shopping for a single braced cymbal stand recently and I looked at some Mapex bits, I felt like they skimped a bit. For example the boom arm was really short compared to some of the Premier or Yamaha bits I've got.

One good thing I noticed about some of their cymbal stands though is that they only have 1 nut(?) to adjust on the hinge as opposed to 2. I see a lot of boom stands having 2 nuts - 1 to adjust the angle up and down and 1 to release the boom so you can lengthen/shorten it - which I find a pain in the arse because it can be done with 1 if the design is right.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:27 PM

Even their cheapest stands (the Tornado cymbal stands) are better than bulk buy cheapies.

They aren't heavy stands but got a fair bracing.

They next step up and all the others that come with the Horizonz, Pro -M's and Saturn/Orions are fanastic bits of kit.

I got myself a double pedal the other month, cheapest Mapex one I could find. One of the best pedals I've played with period.

I think Mapex are just good at what they do now, they can produce inexpensive gear that works really well.