DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-27-2011, 02:18 AM
Haradrim87's Avatar
Haradrim87 Haradrim87 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4
Default Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

Lately, I've been in the market for some bass drum heads, and just need some suggestions on what would be good to buy. I play a great deal of progressive metal, power metal, and some thrash. I'm also on a budget of $120 ($60 per drum head). I'm looking for a heavy bass sound, but with very little sustain. Sort of a heavy "BOOM" sound, but very staccato,or even staccatissimo. Thanks to all of those leaving suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-30-2011, 06:05 AM
daredrummer's Avatar
daredrummer daredrummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,375
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

From Evans you've got the EMAD and EMAD2. The EMAD is one ply, and the EMAD2 is two ply, so the EMAD2 will have some more attack, added low end, some additional punch, and also a slighty more muffled sound. Both of these are only available in clear.

From Remo, you have the powersonic (clear or coated) and the new powerstroke pro (clear, coated, black). Don't know a lot about either, but you should be able to find info on their website.
__________________
"Nowadays you could find a plumber, put him in a studio and make him sound good." ~John Robinson
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-30-2011, 06:53 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,843
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

PS3's.....front and back. Muffle to taste.

All you'll ever need
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-30-2011, 08:36 PM
classicstar's Avatar
classicstar classicstar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 314
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

I'd reccomend the Evans EMAD2 or the EQ3.
__________________
Tama ~ Evans ~ Vater ~ Meinl
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-09-2012, 04:39 AM
ZeppelinBonham666 ZeppelinBonham666 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 6
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

A Remo Powersonic has never been a disappointment.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-09-2012, 04:42 AM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,177
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
PS3's.....front and back. Muffle to taste.

All you'll ever need
I second. I have PS3's on my 24x14 red Vistalite kick. Great punch, no overtones.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-09-2012, 05:00 AM
AndyMC's Avatar
AndyMC AndyMC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 430
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

I like evans and remo for snare and toms but aquarian has the best bass heads. Try a Superkick 2 or even a Superkick 10 over a regulator, PS3 or EQ3. That'll give you a low punch without much resonance. Make sure there is a little bit though or your bass sound will simply disappear.
__________________
I'm the Enchanting Wizard of Rhythm, here to show you the rhythms of the universe - Beck
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-09-2012, 05:12 AM
drumdevil9's Avatar
drumdevil9 drumdevil9 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Montreal area
Posts: 1,182
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredrummer View Post
From Evans you've got the EMAD and EMAD2. The EMAD is one ply, and the EMAD2 is two ply, so the EMAD2 will have some more attack, added low end, some additional punch, and also a slighty more muffled sound. Both of these are only available in clear.
Actually I have a coated emad.
__________________
Eric
Drumblr
YouTube Channel
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-09-2012, 06:00 AM
tard's Avatar
tard tard is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: springhill nova scotia canada
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

The best sound that I have been able to get from a bass drum is an aquarian sk1 with a ported regulator front and I also use an aquarian double kick patch just to give the singly ply head some extra strength. As for price I have seen them on ebay and amazon sold as package of both heads and the kick patch for about $60 with free shipping in the USA.

Took a quick look on ebay and found musiciansfriend and woodwindbrasswind selling the package for $61.79 with free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarian-Bas...item20c44dc129
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarian-Bas...item19cf424d18
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-09-2012, 06:04 AM
AndyMC's Avatar
AndyMC AndyMC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 430
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
The best sound that I have been able to get from a bass drum is an aquarian sk1 with a ported regulator front and I also use an aquarian double kick patch just to give the singly ply head some extra strength. As for price I have seen them on ebay and amazon sold as package of both heads and the kick patch for about $60 with free shipping in the USA.

Took a quick look on ebay and found musiciansfriend and woodwindbrasswind selling the package for $61.79 with free shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarian-Bas...item20c44dc129
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarian-Bas...item19cf424d18
I agree that the SK1 with a ported head (and kickport for me) with a patch is the best sounding in my opinion, but for his needs he would probably want a two ply head to give more attack and less resonance.
__________________
I'm the Enchanting Wizard of Rhythm, here to show you the rhythms of the universe - Beck
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-09-2012, 06:14 AM
tard's Avatar
tard tard is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: springhill nova scotia canada
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMC View Post
I agree that the SK1 with a ported head (and kickport for me) with a patch is the best sounding in my opinion, but for his needs he would probably want a two ply head to give more attack and less resonance.
The most attack comes from single ply heads, not 2 ply, plus there is not much resonance with any of the SK heads especially when paired with a ported regulator.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-09-2012, 06:20 AM
AndyMC's Avatar
AndyMC AndyMC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 430
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
The most attack comes from single ply heads, not 2 ply.
Yes that's true but if you are trying for a staccato sound you are worried about the ratio of attack to resonance. Could also try using separate internal muffling to find your sound, but I like having an empty bass drum myself.
__________________
I'm the Enchanting Wizard of Rhythm, here to show you the rhythms of the universe - Beck
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-09-2012, 02:16 PM
EvansSpecialist EvansSpecialist is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 532
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

You really can't go wrong with the EMAD series. The ability to adjust muffling without removing the head, choose between five different heads utilizing the same external muffling system, and achieve a desirable sound right out of the box (without spending tons of time trying to dial it in) make these heads unbeatable.

Let me know if you have any questions about them. Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-09-2012, 02:22 PM
AndyMC's Avatar
AndyMC AndyMC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 430
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

EMADs sound nice til the glue ring fails and it starts rattling, when are you guys going to really fix that? For $50 I don't want a bass drum head to start failing at 3 months. That is really the only reason I switched to SK1s though I'm not 100% I'd go back at this point, I really like my SK1.
__________________
I'm the Enchanting Wizard of Rhythm, here to show you the rhythms of the universe - Beck

Last edited by AndyMC; 04-09-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Sounded too mean
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-09-2012, 02:28 PM
EvansSpecialist EvansSpecialist is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 532
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMC View Post
EMADs sound nice til the glue ring fails and it starts rattling, when are you guys going to really fix that? For $50 I don't want a bass drum head to start failing at 3 months.
Andy, we fixed this a long time ago. If you've had any issues recently, they were old heads. I've always stated that we will gladly replace any EMAD that has these issues. I've never had to replace a head that was made after we changed the design.

In terms of what we actually changed (for those who haven't heard), we added a smooth radius to the profile of the plastic fixture to help dispurse the tension that was created when the head vibrated. This design change prevented the ring from cracking during even the heaviest of playing.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM
AndyMC's Avatar
AndyMC AndyMC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 430
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

I will have to go back and A/B them now see which one I really like.
__________________
I'm the Enchanting Wizard of Rhythm, here to show you the rhythms of the universe - Beck
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-10-2012, 02:55 AM
veggo32's Avatar
veggo32 veggo32 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 522
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

I have a Powerstroke 3 clear batter and ps3 ebony reso 4" porthole with a thin towel just lying there in a 20" Sonor 3007 kick drum and it packs a mean punch.
PS3 should be on your list if you have never tried it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-10-2012, 03:22 AM
LeftyDoug LeftyDoug is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 108
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

I used to use the Remo Poersonic heads but I recently bought a PS3 and will probably never go back. I really like the sound I'm getting with it. I'd use another PS3 on the front if I wasn't using a custom logo head. The custom head is an Aquarian Regulator.
__________________
Tama Starclassic B/B - 8/10/12/14/16/22
Tama Starclassic Birch Performer - 8/10/12/14/16/22
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-10-2012, 03:26 AM
tard's Avatar
tard tard is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: springhill nova scotia canada
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyDoug View Post
I used to use the Remo Poersonic heads but I recently bought a PS3 and will probably never go back. I really like the sound I'm getting with it. I'd use another PS3 on the front if I wasn't using a custom logo head. The custom head is an Aquarian Regulator.
Since you already have the regulator on the front you should try a super kick for a batter, I would almost bet you wont put the ps3 back on.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-29-2012, 01:21 AM
gconyers's Avatar
gconyers gconyers is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
Posts: 119
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

PS4 clear batter and PS3 reso ( 4" port) on my 18x22 maple kick gives a defined, low end punch with few overtones. I don't use any muffling in the drum itself anymore.

Don't forget, the way you tune the heads and their relation (tuning wise) to each other will make the world of difference.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-29-2012, 02:16 AM
Zickos's Avatar
Zickos Zickos is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norman, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,046
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

I have 18", 20" and 22" Ludwig Silver Dots that I am selling for $10 ea plus shipping. Others available similarly priced. If you are interested pm me with you address and I will quote you a rate. I am in Oklahoma.

Maurice
__________________
Drums are the best psychiatry
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-29-2012, 10:17 PM
ineedaclutch's Avatar
ineedaclutch ineedaclutch is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: My living room
Posts: 573
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansSpecialist View Post
Andy, we fixed this a long time ago. If you've had any issues recently, they were old heads. I've always stated that we will gladly replace any EMAD that has these issues. I've never had to replace a head that was made after we changed the design.

In terms of what we actually changed (for those who haven't heard), we added a smooth radius to the profile of the plastic fixture to help dispurse the tension that was created when the head vibrated. This design change prevented the ring from cracking during even the heaviest of playing.

Cheers!
I had this happen recently to my clear Emad II 24. The plastic cracked half of the circumference of the head. The clear Emad I on my 20 is fine though.
__________________
The hamster gets the gig.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:43 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,803
Default Re: Suggestions for a bass drum heads...

The best sound that I have been able to get from a bass drum is an aquarian sk1 with a ported regulator front.

The 'best' sounding front head I've ever experienced is definitely the AQUARIAN REGULATOR.

I blew one out recently, probably had it too loose, was cranking my PEARL 900 single chain with wood beater hard doubles/triples, caught it out of phase. It was older (logo script), but it sounded great all the way up till it blew.

I've blown out other brands of front heads, so nothing against the AQUARIAN'S durability, all I can say is its the best sounding front head I've ever heard/played.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com