DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-26-2011, 04:59 PM
D2 Drummer's Avatar
D2 Drummer D2 Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 128
Default Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

Hi drummers,

I'm in the process of purchasing a new batter head for my 14"x6" Yamaha Maple Tour Custom Snare. I've been using Evans Genera Dry for almost a year & I'm starting to get bored of the sound. I'm looking for a sound that is warm, focused, and with a light feel. Also i want a little bit of tone from my snare, but not too much, where more than one moon gels will be needed to tame it down.

So, I'm a big fan of Remo drum heads, because i like their sound, feel, and the way they hug my drums. I'm looking at Remo Powerstroke 3 and 4. Does anyone have experience with these on snares?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-26-2011, 05:35 PM
sticks4drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

Recently I have gone through a bunch of Remo heads to get the sound I am after on my Phosphor Bronze snares.
I have tried:
1. The stock Ambassador coated. Very nice feel, but way too many overtones and very ringy.
2. Ambassador X. Still a good feel but still too many overtones for me
3. Powerstroke X with top center dot. Similar to the Ambassador X but with a better feel. Close to what I am looking for.
4. Powerstroke 3 coated without out top center dot. Perfect. Nice feel, but very little overtones or ringing. Snare sounds nice and clean.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-26-2011, 09:08 PM
uniongoon's Avatar
uniongoon uniongoon is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: caesarea over looking the lake southern ontario
Posts: 1,070
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

If warmth and toned down overtones is the goal, maybe a fibreskin could be the answer. Although for snare they dont have the longevity. I just dug out an emperor X and put it on my 4 1/2 hammered bronze snare, it is tight and a little more deep than standard coated black dot.
__________________
See my Signia's
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=73869
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:55 AM
D2 Drummer's Avatar
D2 Drummer D2 Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 128
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Recently I have gone through a bunch of Remo heads to get the sound I am after on my Phosphor Bronze snares.
I have tried:
1. The stock Ambassador coated. Very nice feel, but way too many overtones and very ringy.
2. Ambassador X. Still a good feel but still too many overtones for me
3. Powerstroke X with top center dot. Similar to the Ambassador X but with a better feel. Close to what I am looking for.
4. Powerstroke 3 coated without out top center dot. Perfect. Nice feel, but very little overtones or ringing. Snare sounds nice and clean.
Thanks, this is very helpful. I was thinking now that i use a Powerstroke 4 on my bass drum, i get a nice deep and focused low sound. Using the same head with on my snare, might over dampen the sound, because the dampen ring is bigger. At least with a Powerstroke 3, it's one pile which means you get a bit of everything
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:56 AM
D2 Drummer's Avatar
D2 Drummer D2 Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 128
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
If warmth and toned down overtones is the goal, maybe a fibreskin could be the answer. Although for snare they dont have the longevity. I just dug out an emperor X and put it on my 4 1/2 hammered bronze snare, it is tight and a little more deep than standard coated black dot.
fibreskin could work, though i have never tried them on my snare
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-27-2011, 02:01 AM
sticks4drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2 Drummer View Post
Thanks, this is very helpful. I was thinking now that i use a Powerstroke 4 on my bass drum, i get a nice deep and focused low sound. Using the same head with on my snare, might over dampen the sound, because the dampen ring is bigger. At least with a Powerstroke 3, it's one pile which means you get a bit of everything
I have a powerstroke 3 on my bass and love it. Nice and clear, not boomy, and my bass is a 22 x 20.

It is something stupid but I really love the look of the Powerstroke 3 head on the snare because it has those 2 black rings around the outside, 1 inch in from the hoop. It looks great with my Black hardware. :)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-27-2011, 02:36 AM
konaboy's Avatar
konaboy konaboy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Midwest, USA
Posts: 2,545
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

I just put a PS3 coated on my yamaha steel snare and I really like the tone it's giving! I usually run ambassodors on my snares but didn't like the way they sounded on this particular one. The PS3 was a good solution.
__________________
"how are you living your Dash?"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-27-2011, 05:11 AM
Florian's Avatar
Florian Florian is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 950
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

how about a power center reverse dot?

F
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-27-2011, 05:13 AM
sticks4drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
how about a power center reverse dot?

F
Sorry it is not nearly as good looking as a Powerstroke 3. :)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-27-2011, 05:20 AM
moontheloon's Avatar
moontheloon moontheloon is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 854
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

I swear by the Evans Supertough........non vented
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:11 PM
D2 Drummer's Avatar
D2 Drummer D2 Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 128
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
how about a power center reverse dot?

F
I tried that and personally i hated it. way to much tone on my snare and i hated the feel on the center, it was like hitting a book
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:12 PM
D2 Drummer's Avatar
D2 Drummer D2 Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 128
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
I just put a PS3 coated on my yamaha steel snare and I really like the tone it's giving! I usually run ambassodors on my snares but didn't like the way they sounded on this particular one. The PS3 was a good solution.
I guess PS3 would be the way to go
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:14 PM
D2 Drummer's Avatar
D2 Drummer D2 Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 128
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
I have a powerstroke 3 on my bass and love it. Nice and clear, not boomy, and my bass is a 22 x 20.

It is something stupid but I really love the look of the Powerstroke 3 head on the snare because it has those 2 black rings around the outside, 1 inch in from the hoop. It looks great with my Black hardware. :)
It's not stupid because i know what you mean. I saw a demo of the head and i liked the design of the black rings too.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-27-2011, 02:34 PM
zarrdoss's Avatar
zarrdoss zarrdoss is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern CO
Posts: 1,077
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Recently I have gone through a bunch of Remo heads to get the sound I am after on my Phosphor Bronze snares.
I have tried:
1. The stock Ambassador coated. Very nice feel, but way too many overtones and very ringy.
2. Ambassador X. Still a good feel but still too many overtones for me
3. Powerstroke X with top center dot. Similar to the Ambassador X but with a better feel. Close to what I am looking for.
4. Powerstroke 3 coated without out top center dot. Perfect. Nice feel, but very little overtones or ringing. Snare sounds nice and clean.
could you post a link to the exact powerstroke head your referring to? I seem to find everything else besides that, Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-27-2011, 04:04 PM
sticks4drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

http://remo.com/portal/products/3/8/...r+and+Resonant
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-28-2011, 01:36 AM
zarrdoss's Avatar
zarrdoss zarrdoss is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern CO
Posts: 1,077
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

Thank you! I was pretty sure that was it but not 100%
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-30-2011, 08:48 PM
classicstar's Avatar
classicstar classicstar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 314
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

I would suggest a powerstroke 4, or a CS reverse dot. The CS seems to be more what you are looking for
__________________
Tama ~ Evans ~ Vater ~ Meinl
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-30-2011, 10:15 PM
Shedboyxx's Avatar
Shedboyxx Shedboyxx is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
Posts: 692
Default Re: Remo Powerstroke 3 or 4 (Snare)

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicstar View Post
I would suggest a powerstroke 4, or a CS reverse dot. The CS seems to be more what you are looking for
I really like the Remo CS Reverse Dots on metal drums. I've used the Evans Reverse Power Center and like it as well

Quote:
...i hated the feel on the center, it was like hitting a book
I don't think the OP would like the CS Dot if he didn't care for the Evans version. IIRC, the Remo has a slightly thicker dot.

Jim
__________________
"Time...to Unpimp......Ze Auto ....huuuuuh"

Jim Martin Music
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com