DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-23-2011, 07:29 AM

Default Ideas for rack setup

Hello all

This is my first time using these forums and I'm looking into getting a rack system for my kit. I've never had a rack before so there's a lot I'm unsure about.

Ok, so I have a 6 piece drum kit, as of now, bass drum, 2 rack toms, 2 floor toms, snare. Looking into getting another rack tom.

I have a ton of cymbals as of now. I have 9 on it now and a couple others laying around without stands.

Point is I have too many stands around my kit and there's a lot of clutter. I want to cut down on clutter and I want to mount the rack toms on the stand as well.

I was looking into getting the Gibraltar starter rack with the two wings.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibralta...35-i1140143.gc

This is cheep and seems like a good start. But I fear the wings won't quite be enough in the long run as I'm sure they'll bend downwards with weight on them

To combat this I was planning on getting a couple of these. One for each side.
http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa...&sid=85&cid=31

So the starter pack is around 300 and the extensions are 150 a piece. So about 600 plus clamps and such.

Is this the best way to go about things or is there a better setup to get what I'm trying to achieve. I would appreciate any help I know this is pricey so anyways to cut down would be nice.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Ideas for rack setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccolo549 View Post
Hello all

This is my first time using these forums and I'm looking into getting a rack system for my kit. I've never had a rack before so there's a lot I'm unsure about.

Ok, so I have a 6 piece drum kit, as of now, bass drum, 2 rack toms, 2 floor toms, snare. Looking into getting another rack tom.

I have a ton of cymbals as of now. I have 9 on it now and a couple others laying around without stands.

Point is I have too many stands around my kit and there's a lot of clutter. I want to cut down on clutter and I want to mount the rack toms on the stand as well.

I was looking into getting the Gibraltar starter rack with the two wings.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibralta...35-i1140143.gc
Good idea, with the number of drums & cymbals, and that rack will do just fine.

Quote:
This is cheep and seems like a good start. But I fear the wings won't quite be enough in the long run as I'm sure they'll bend downwards with weight on them
No, they won't, nor will they slip in the clamps if you use them correctly, especially if your floor toms are actual floor toms, i.e. with legs, and you don't plan to mount them. Check my setup here. Been using this setup on the same rack since 2004, with the hanging FT and ride cymbal both mounted on the same cymbal holder toward the end of the "wing". That extension arm is memory locked where it connects to the vertical post but no ML at all with the clamp that hold the FT & RC. Never slipped, never bent. I started with the same rack (not same model, but the very same rack) in 2001 with a kit that had a regular FT rather than the hanging FT.

Quote:
To combat this I was planning on getting a couple of these. One for each side.
http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/?fa...&sid=85&cid=31

So the starter pack is around 300 and the extensions are 150 a piece. So about 600 plus clamps and such.

Is this the best way to go about things or is there a better setup to get what I'm trying to achieve. I would appreciate any help I know this is pricey so anyways to cut down would be nice.
You won't need those unless you just want more horizontal bar width for mounting items. (Besides, if you were only gonna get them to make the rack more sturdy, you'd only need the vertical posts, not the curved horizontal bar.) My kit setup on my rack is more sturdy than the same setup on stands (I've A/B'd them myself), and faster to set up & break down. Pull the trigger on the rack but don't go overboard.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:20 PM

Thanks for the great feedback, I think you're right I'll go ahead and get the rack to start with, if I find I need the extension later then I'll get it but now that will probably be fine.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:53 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Thanks for the great feedback, I think you're right I'll go ahead and get the rack to start with, if I find I need the extension later then I'll get it but now that will probably be fine.
Hurry before the dreaded Yamaha Hex rack guys get to you. Quick, run. :)
Old 05-17-2011, 04:21 PM

I'm building around a rack too. I just bought a DW main and side rack. I plan on replacing a few of the tubes and use the leftovers for an additional wing behind the hi-hat stand. I've been leaning towards a 2 up 2 down config with all toms racked. DW offers a snare arm that comes out from the rack which I may end up getting in the future, but for now I'll try out the 9300 stand. The construction and look of the DW rack is fantastic as well. Its a bit pricey, but should equate or may even be cheaper than buying non-rack hardware. Look into it