DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-21-2011, 10:19 PM

Default DIY Subkick / Subwoofer Mic Question

I am aching to make one of these Subkick / subwoofer Mics for my kick drum. If anyone out there has made any, please help me out.

First, Instead of messing with putting the speaker / sub in a actual drum, What would be the result of putting the speaker in a MDF car Sub Box? Would sealed or vented work better?

Second, is using a Subwoofer better than using a plain old speaker? Which size have most people had better luck with (anyone use a big 10" speaker for it?)?

Also, would shock mounting the speaker (I saw one guy use bungee cables inside a drum shell) be better than just mounting it?

Any info would be great. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:37 AM

Default Re: DIY Subkick / Subwoofer Mic Question

There's an ongoing thread about this subject already:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...hlight=subkick
Old 04-22-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
There's an ongoing thread about this subject already:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...hlight=subkick
Yes I read that thread, but nobody discussed any of those questions I had, and I don't want to wake up / hijack a thread thats a couple months old, so I just decided to post this one.

Does your subkick with that 8 1/2" speaker pickup pretty Low Lows live?

I'm really wondering how a Subkick would sound if You put the Subwoofer in a Car Speaker Box. Would that be TOO much Isolation????
Old 04-22-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobamnator View Post
Yes I read that thread, but nobody discussed any of those questions I had, and I don't want to wake up / hijack a thread thats a couple months old, so I just decided to post this one.

Does your subkick with that 8 1/2" speaker pickup pretty Low Lows live?

I'm really wondering how a Subkick would sound if You put the Subwoofer in a Car Speaker Box. Would that be TOO much Isolation????
The 8 1/2" speaker picks up the Low Lows, but it also picks up mids, etc., because there isn't a coil or anything; I have to EQ it. I used it live a
couple of times, but the singer kept banging into it and I was getting a low rumble feedback from our PA subs. Once it was dialed in, it was
great, but the band is pretty bad about turning up the volume on stage and it was just too much trouble to deal with, besides; we now have four 18"
JBL subs, so low end is not at issue any more. These days the subkick is more of a recording accouterment.

I don't see isolation as a bad thing. You don't want sound from other sources to leak in and get amplified.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:04 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Sounds like an in-line filter would be a good option to build into the design. If you have a speaker with an adjustable crossover, that might be worth considering.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
The 8 1/2" speaker picks up the Low Lows, but it also picks up mids, etc., because there isn't a coil or anything; I have to EQ it.
Do you mean the speaker does not have a voice coil?

If that is a 8 1/2" speaker, and it is still picking up mids, I wonder if a 10" would be better. hmm...
Old 04-23-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobamnator View Post
Do you mean the speaker does not have a voice coil?

If that is a 8 1/2" speaker, and it is still picking up mids, I wonder if a 10" would be better. hmm...
The speaker has a "voice coil". What I was referring to was the lack of a crossover circuit (which use a coil) to pass only the low end of the sound spectrum.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:29 PM

I have a big 12" Boss Audio Subwoofer that I have had forever. Does anybody have experience with using a large subwoofer in a Subkick? I would Imagine Something that big would not pickup any low-mids...just the lowest lows. But what do I know
Old 04-29-2011, 01:30 AM

boom boomp bumpity boo...bump
Old 05-19-2011, 02:17 AM

Anybody have experience with a Subwoofer in a Car Speaker Box?

Would that be TOO much Isolation for a subkick?
Old 05-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Silver Member

I used a 10" sub in mine.

I've seen dudes use blown guitar and bass amps by just leaving the speaker in the cabinet and re-wiring the speaker. This gave them an already mounted speaker at about the right height. I supposed a speaker box (either a car or home audio) would work the same.

Take a look at the thead I just put up in this same forum ("Other Gear"). I just built a subkick and that thread might be of some use.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:30 AM

I hereby resurrect this thread lol

I used a home made sub kick just this afternoon for recording my kick and a bass cab and it worked phenomenally! I used a 6.5" speaker and just cut the mids and highs out of it with the channel eq on the mixing board. If you're really concerned about controlling the frequency response, you could look onto one of those diy guitar building sites and look up how to wire a tone control directly into it to give you a finer control, but really, its unnecessary.

Funny story, we mic'd the bass cab up with a very expensive mic meant for such things (I forget the specific model but it was a shure) and my homemade sub kick. anyway, we were noticing some distortion in the recording, so i assumed it was my sub kick. Turns out, my $37 hot glue and solder monstrosity was performing perfectly, the $300 mic was giving us the trouble!