DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

Default Love Yamaha, but totally PO about Hexrack situation. Anything new out there?

I have a Pearl DRC as my gigging rack. It's good, but I'd really like a Yamaha Hexrack for my new project kit. Due to Yamaha's total inability to communicate properly with their customers, I'm forced to look for something else. I'm after the very best. Do you fine guys know of anything new on the market I should check out? Or maybe there's some update on the Hexrack I'm not aware of?

If my search fails, I'll be defaulting to another Pearl DRC. Help!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:04 PM
sticks4drums

Default Re: Love Yamaha, but totally PO about Hexrack situation. Anything new out there?

Can I be completely honest here. Don't hate me :) But I can't stand the look of Pearl's racks. In my opinion, you should never put a square rack with round drums. The rack will stand out every time. The drums should be the thing that you see, not the rack.

I looked at the Yamaha rack, but it was just a bit to outer space gimmicky for me. Again, I did not want something that took away from the drums themselves. Plus you are limited to using their mounts because of the unique shape of there tubing.

The only rack out there that I would put my kit on is a DW rack. It is pricey yes. But you said you wanted the best. It is Stainless Steel pipe which does not show finger prints like Chrome pipe will, and it will not rust like chrome. Most of us drummers do keep our stuff in damp, or potentially damp basements.

My buddy just ordered a Tama Starclassic Babinga Elite kit. He was going to put it on a Gibraltor rack until he saw mine in person. The clamps and fittings are all beautifully made. I looked at them all very carefully, and DW is the one I would recommend.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Love Yamaha, but totally PO about Hexrack situation. Anything new out there?

I agree on the look of the Pearl rack, but it is very well made, & the square shape offers stability. Do you get any slippage of the clamps on the tube?

Stainless steel eh? Hmm, that's interesting, because one of the things I was trying to avoid is chrome overload (you'll see what I mean when the project drums arrive). I've had one or two casting failures with DW hardware, so that's made me cautious too. Any issues with casting defects in your experience? Might check 'em out further.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I will be using Yamaha tom mounts & cymbal arms. Any tube interchangeability issues with the DW clamps? Sorry, don't like the DW knurled cymbal arms at all.

Thanks, Andy.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:31 PM
sticks4drums

I agree that a uniquely shaped pipe is strong and will not allow mounts to slip. I just don't think they fit well with a very circular instrument. A big part for me is aesthetics.

If you look at my pic carefully I have memory locks on everything. Nothing can slip. I have not had any issues with castings on DW stuff. Had pedals for over ten years.

The rack system was actually designed by an independent gentleman years ago, sorry I can't remember his name, and DW liked his fittings so much they decided to buy out his design.

You need to look at the clamps and stuff in person. You should be able to tell by my setup, that I am a really fussy, anal, kind of guy. This stuff is nicely made.

Another thing I would like to point out is the DW cymbal tension system. The support piece under the cymbal threads up and down on its post. This way you can have complete control of how loose your cymbal are. You just thread it where you want it, tighten up the bolt, put your cymbal and felts on, and tighten your stock wing nut on tight. Your cymbal tension will always be the same every time you put your cymbals back on. No guessing each time. Great system. Just thought I would share.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:53 PM
sticks4drums

The tube top receivers on the upright rack pipes are 3/4" compatible. The clamps themselves will take any size cymbal arm.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:55 PM
sticks4drums

The knurling on the cymbal arms are so thing don't turn or slip on shiny pipes. I understand if you don't like the look though. I do love those cymbal adjusters :)
Old 04-20-2011, 04:58 PM
sticks4drums

Just a thought. You could put any companies tube top adapter on the DW rack as long as it was 1 1/2" pipe compatible.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Due to Yamaha's total inability to communicate properly with their customers....
First off, your project ... how many sides, and how many clamps do you need? If you want Yamaha, I'd buy Yamaha. I bought a Yamaha hex rack, when guitar center was blowing them out half-price. And then, when I found out they were being dis-continued, I bought a second rack. So, I've got 5 sides, and 7 clamps, to last me the rest of my life. And it/they probably will.
eBay has about 15-16 Yamaha hex rack listings right now, including a full rack someone's selling (and they'll ship to Europe).
I dislike round tube racks. The whole concept of "the memory lock keeps the clamp from slipping" means "you need a second clamp to keep the first clamp in place". I used a Pearl DR-100 for 15 years of gigging ... and that rack held everything I asked it to. My lead singer used to even sit on a corner of it (stage presence) sometimes.
So, if by default ... you need to go Pearl ... go Pearl. Great stuff.
The only "new" thing, really ... is the Gibraltar stealth rack design ... which isn't really all that new ... thought of that years ago. And it's quite simple to stealth-ify any rack system. Just run the tubes low.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:39 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Harry, it's harder to get hold of this stuff in the UK - especially on eBay. Yamaha hardware isn't always easy to come by, especially the short-released stuff like the HexRack. Doesn't really filter into our market for long!
Old 04-20-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
eBay has about 15-16 Yamaha hex rack listings right now, including a full rack someone's selling (and they'll ship to Europe).
Where are you looking? I was on eBay not two days ago looking (and I just checked again). There is ONE Yamaha Hex Rack listing. It comes with 3 tom holders. I've been keeping an eye out, and there are parts, sure, but as far as I can tell the one thing not being made available from anyone is a way to mount cymbals (aside from the two spots on the leg posts). I'm not buying a rack if I can't mount all my cymbals to it.

I'm continuing to use stands for now and holding on to the hope that Yamaha comes out with something in the future.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftoverPenguin View Post
Where are you looking? I was on eBay not two days ago looking (and I just checked again). There is ONE Yamaha Hex Rack listing. It comes with 3 tom holders. I've been keeping an eye out, and there are parts, sure, but as far as I can tell the one thing not being made available from anyone is a way to mount cymbals (aside from the two spots on the leg posts). I'm not buying a rack if I can't mount all my cymbals to it.

I'm continuing to use stands for now and holding on to the hope that Yamaha comes out with something in the future.
Thanks for the pointer Harry, but I couldn't find much either. I need 2 sides, 4 tom holders, 7 boom clamps & 3 post cymbal tops. The Yamaha boom tops I can get. On the Pearl rack Harry, I agree, it's a great functional product, no concerns there, I'm just not that keen on the looks of the chrome legs, & the clamps are lacking a certain style for me. I know that's picky, but I'm keen on a certain appearance for this new kit.

I feel your pain LOP. I think the lack of information put out by Yamaha is a customer relations disgrace. Such a shame for a company that produces excellent products. I've never really taken to their drums (although they do make some great tubs), but I'm a huge fan of their hardware. I use all Yamaha cymbal booms & tom holders on my Pearl rack.

I spoke to Yamaha UK today, & it was clear that Yamaha themselves don't know what's happening. I know the story, so I'm guessing they've decided that saying nothing is a good idea. I don't accept that. If that's the case, they should at least come out & say so.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:50 AM
Gold Member

Personally, if you want a rack I'd get the hex rack...theres is nothing on the market that compares to it...you can still find them if you look..and Yamaha has stated that whatever they replace it with will be compatible...I've got two of them...and I've owned others..nothing is close!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
Personally, if you want a rack I'd get the hex rack...theres is nothing on the market that compares to it...you can still find them if you look..and Yamaha has stated that whatever they replace it with will be compatible...I've got two of them...and I've owned others..nothing is close!
Exactly my sentiments.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Silver Member

Mine is going on sale after my 2 gigs in Germany the end of May (going to buy something big)

Maybe something for you?

The rack and all the extra components are bought new, but i've bought a clamp and logo clip from the US last week (and could have bought more from the guy like pipes and more clamps)

Besides, Thomann and MusicStore Koln are still selling Rack arts and also local shops can still order small amounts of parts if im right.

Last edited by MusiQmaN; 04-21-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusiQmaN View Post
Mine is going on sale after my 2 gigs in Germany the end of May (going to buy something big)

Besides, Thomann and MusicStore Koln are still selling Rack arts and also local shops can still order small amounts of parts if im right.
This might solve all your problems ... I'd start with here http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-YAMAHA-HEXRA...#ht_3255wt_916 and add to it.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Maybe something for you?

The rack and all the extra components are bought new, but i've bought a clamp and logo clip from the US last week (and could have bought more from the guy like pipes and more clamps)

Holy crap that's a nice rack setup. If only it suited my drum layout, I'd buy it from you in a heartbeat. Actually, I was just about to pick up the phone to Thomann, but you say Music Store Koln are stocking parts too? I'll call them straight away. Do you have the US contact who has more clamps available? Do you want to sell me 7 of yours? Thanks for chiming in man, seriously, Andy.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:32 AM

About the Yamaha Hex Rack system.. I'm going to buy myself similar rack next summer because I hate all those single cymbal stands on the floor.. And they tend to move a bit when I play them even they are double braced and so on.. but I think it doesn't matter!

That DW rack looks very sturdy but for some reason I would choose Yamaha rack over DW rack because it's hexagonal which gives some extra durability and Yamaha Hex Rack is made out of stainless steel aswell!

I found few shops which still have those Yamaha Hex Rack parts in stock so they will not be an issue. Can't wait till next summer! 8)

Sorry Sticks4Drums ;)
Old 04-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenhenkka View Post
I found few shops which still have those Yamaha Hex Rack parts in stock so they will not be an issue.
Would you be kind enough to give me the names of those shops please. That would be so useful. Thanks, Andy.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Holy crap that's a nice rack setup. If only it suited my drum layout, I'd buy it from you in a heartbeat. Actually, I was just about to pick up the phone to Thomann, but you say Music Store Koln are stocking parts too? I'll call them straight away. Do you have the US contact who has more clamps available? Do you want to sell me 7 of yours? Thanks for chiming in man, seriously, Andy.

Its a standard HX3L so it should fit any setup (especially with the extra parts)

The guy has his parts on ebay.com

Im only selling the rack as a whole set (wich includes the sought after HXDB, HXOC and 44" pipes)
Old 04-21-2011, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Its a standard HX3L so it should fit any setup (especially with the extra parts)

The guy has his parts on ebay.com

Im only selling the rack as a whole set (wich includes the sought after HXDB, HXOC and 44" pipes)
Are you just selling the rack, legs & clamps, or the cymbal booms as well? Either way, I'm assuming the condition is close to perfect, it certainly looks good in the pictures. Condition is important to me as this will be used to show my new development kit. Please PM me the details, & how much you want for whatever parts you are selling. If it's a sensible price, you have a very reliable buyer in me.

I need to cut a deal today, because I've found one last rack according to my requirements, but it's short of 6 HXBC clamps. If we can cut a deal, I'm happy to secure with a deposit if everything checks out & both of us are happy with the details.

Cheers, Andy.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Would you be kind enough to give me the names of those shops please. That would be so useful. Thanks, Andy.
Found on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-HXTC-Hexr...item43a6085d7b (Drum Center of Portsmouth) but those are rather expensive I think.

Another store but in Europe (Thomann):

http://www.thomann.de/fi/yamaha_hxr3...mrack_rock.htm

http://www.thomann.de/fi/yamaha_hxr2...k_drumrack.htm

http://www.thomann.de/fi/yamaha_hxr4...e_drumrack.htm

Going to buy that first one I linked on next summer if still in stock!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for that. Yes, that first link is silly money, & it's only the tom arm clamp. I can buy a two sided rack today from Thomann for not much more than that with 4 of those brackets.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for that. Yes, that first link is silly money, & it's only the tom arm clamp. I can buy a two sided rack today from Thomann for not much more than that with 4 of those brackets.
Exactly! But remember those were euros not dollars :) Maybe you already noticed that but just in case!
Old 04-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Silver Member

100$ is still silly imo, thats double the new price... But then again... these babies are rare.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:26 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for all your help guys. I've just cut a deal with MusiQmaN, a real gent. This rack will be used on my development project kit.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:40 PM
sticks4drums

I just don't understand?
Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 PM

Hey by the way why did Yamaha discontinue making those Hex Rack parts? Don't have any clue.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Hey by the way why did Yamaha discontinue making those Hex Rack parts? Don't have any clue.
Yes, when yamaha discontinued the hex rack, they discontinued all of the other hex rack parts
Old 04-21-2011, 08:10 PM
sticks4drums

Well they must be the best by far if they discontinued them? I know they hate making money. :)
Old 04-21-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex----Maniac View Post
Yes, when yamaha discontinued the hex rack, they discontinued all of the other hex rack parts
Oh yeah right! Didn't think about that one :)

Quote:
Well they must be the best by far if they discontinued them? I know they hate making money. :)
They really hate making money I know :)
Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The whole saga ... and a whole lotta misinformation (I'm sure) has been covered, in prior threads. The search button will show you more than you ever wanted to know about it.
The short story, Yamaha and another company went co-op on the hex rack ... and for some reason, Yamaha didn't hold the patents. So, when the "other company" started to "not play so nice" they took their "hex rack" and went home. Yamaha had to say "bye-bye" to the hex rack, and they've been very slow in developing a replacement.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:37 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Thanks for all your help guys. I've just cut a deal with MusiQmaN, a real gent. This rack will be used on my development project kit.
Glad to see this all end so well! I will expect gleaming pictures of the kit and now the rack - nothing short of stellar photography is acceptable!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Glad to see this all end so well! I will expect gleaming pictures of the kit and now the rack - nothing short of stellar photography is acceptable!
Methinks I'll need a new camera!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
The whole saga ... and a whole lotta misinformation (I'm sure) has been covered, in prior threads. The search button will show you more than you ever wanted to know about it.
The short story, Yamaha and another company went co-op on the hex rack ... and for some reason, Yamaha didn't hold the patents. So, when the "other company" started to "not play so nice" they took their "hex rack" and went home. Yamaha had to say "bye-bye" to the hex rack, and they've been very slow in developing a replacement.
Oh so that's the reason! I wish they would still make them..

But anyway thanks for your short story!
Old 04-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Hellwyck

I thought Yamaha still made the HexRack
Old 04-22-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post
I thought Yamaha still made the HexRack
Nope, but I can see where you might think that. They're still present in a lot of the images they use online and, not sure if I had anything to do with it, but a while back I sent a message to them on Twitter about the fact that they still had the Hexrack on their hardware page. Maybe a couple weeks later it was down.

I'm fine waiting for a Yamaha replacement of some sort, even if it's not a "Hexrack." I've always been a fan of Yamaha's hardware.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:12 AM
Silver Member

Hate to nitpick, Harry, 'cause I generally find you a valuable wealth of information & advice here. But...

Quote:
The whole concept of "the memory lock keeps the clamp from slipping" means "you need a second clamp to keep the first clamp in place".
Not true. Well, exactly as stated, that is. First, there's a reason they're not called "safety locks". The main concept of memory locks is to "remember" positions, so as to speed up setup times. Hence, memory locks on vertical stands. When combined with tabs/notches (most do), both height and circular position are held in "memory". Slip prevention is secondary. (But a nice added benefit- see below.)

Also, you don't "need" a 2nd clamp (the memory lock), to keep a primary clamp from slipping, but it does admittedly add insurance. It's never happened to any of my rack clamps, but I've had cymbal stand wingnuts strip and memory locks saved the stand from collapsing. Most of the clamps on my rack don't have adjoining memory locks- only the structural connections (where the rack tubes clamp to each other) and the tom holder have them, and only with the latter do I occasionally think about the "insurance" factor. The clamp that holds my hanging FT and my ride cymbal on the same cymbal holder does not have one. It's never slipped. I just tighten it with a little bit of elbow behind it, but not so much where I'm white-knuckled. I think that amount of over-tightening would put it in danger of stripping. (That would be just as much an example of misuse as tightening it too little.)

So, with common sense use, round-tube racks are more than adequate. They are certainly not idiot-proof though. (Nothing really is.)
Old 04-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Silver Member

Andy, glad you've found something..

Harry, as you can see I don't use any memory locks for any of my clamps on my rack. I have never had anything slip, although I'll admit my rack and clamps are not your ordinary run of the mill stuff...

Old 04-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

Hey guys ... if round tube works for you ... more power to ya. Personally, I've just seen way too many round tube rack failures on Hollywood stages to say to myself ... yeah ... I need some of that in my life.
I mean, I've literally seen guys throw their racks into dumpsters, after gigs, they were so pissed off.
So for me, I spent 2 years jammin' with my home-made square tube rack (early 80's) ... followed by 15+ years with a Pearl DR-100 ... and now I have 2 Yamaha hex racks, to last me the rest of my life (hopefully).
Old 04-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hey guys ... if round tube works for you ... more power to ya. Personally, I've just seen way too many round tube rack failures on Hollywood stages to say to myself ... yeah ... I need some of that in my life.
I mean, I've literally seen guys throw their racks into dumpsters, after gigs, they were so pissed off.
Harry, I think round tube racks get bad raps from guys who either didn't take the time to set it up correctly, were to cheap to set it up correctly, or didn't use any common sense in setting up there rack. The bias against is unfounded and for anyone to dismiss them without actually trying them is silly.

You are obviously free to use whatever you want. I just hate to see misinformation spread...