DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 04-19-2011, 02:53 PM

Default sonor giant steps...should I give up now?

Hi,

I got a Giant Step single months ago. At first, it felt really great. But as I've worked on speeding up my foot...the pedal doesn't seem to be responding. I'm finding that it's sluggish.

I'm wondering if anyone else has found Giant Steps sluggish in response.

Or is it the settings? I've already had to raise the footboard a little and bring the beaters back. This is feeling better. It is feeling lighter. But its still a little behind my foot.

Someone suggested that it was my foot, not the pedal. But I actually went to a drum shop...tried out a number of pedals...mostly DW and found that they were working better for me than the giant step.

Should I try more settings? Or should I get rid of it and get a DW or Speed Cobra?

Any ideas on what settings might help?

Thanks,

SonorPlayer
Old 04-19-2011, 03:25 PM

Default Re: sonor giant steps...should I give up now?

In my recent experience i have learned that a pedal that feels right out of the box goes a long way.

I used an iron cobra for the longest time, i bought it 3 years ago because it was "the pedal for speed". I was not even able to reliably do 16th note steady double bass on it. I thought it was the settings or my technique, so for 3 years i struggled to "make the pedal work for me"

A few weeks ago i bought my DW 8002B double pedal.....i can now do double kick patterns without thinking about them, and get the volume i want with no issues. If another pedal works better for you then go for it. Before tossing aside an expensive double pedal though, try the ones in the shop on a drum kit, for a while. If you try to speed up and those pedals dont seem to work, then i might suggest looking at your technique.

I will also note on my iron cobra: It did not have the cobra coil, and my main issue with the pedal was that, even on the highest tension settings the foot board would not catch up to my foot, so i am going to assume that with the coil, i would have been just fine.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:40 PM

Well, one of the pedals I tried was a DW 8000 single pedal. I didn't touch the settings and it was working for me right there in the shop.

I also tried a Speed Cobra and that just seems so easy to play. I'm thinking about going with that. But I did hear that the Speed Cobra has a problem: most people find that after a few weeks the beater for the slave pedal begins to wobble. I don't want to lay down some cash and then start running into problems only weeks later. If anyone knows more about this I'd like to hear about it.

SonorPlayer
Old 04-19-2011, 03:45 PM

My Sonor single pedal is really slow. I use my pearl setup on my sonors for a pedal. You can only spring the hell out of a pedal so much right? I want to try out some DW9000's and see what the hype is all aboot.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:47 PM

I know that there are some members here who bought them and have had issues with them, i think one was a spring breaking, im not sure how they panned out.

The speed cobra was on my list of must try pedals, but when i went to decide all they had was the demon drives, the 8002B, a set of DW 5000s and a set of axis pedals.

I find with the way my body works the pedals, the heavier DW style stuff worked for me, the axis pedals were really nice, but had too light/smooth of a feel for me (i know...im complainign about a pedal being too smooth haha!) the demon drives were nice as well, but the footboard wasnt long enough to fit me comfortably.

Since i needed the longer footboard, the dw 5000s wouldnt work as well for me, and the 8002Bs felt 100% right out of the box. I had set each pedal up on one of those new yamaha electric kits, and played with them for half an hour (pretty sure the sales guy was gettin antsy, he didnt seem impressed by the jumble of expensive gear being played, but in the end i did buy something hahaha)

Edit: I do have a video of me playing with the DW pedals in the "Your Playing" Section titled "First time" I just posted it so its near the top
Old 04-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimento View Post
A few weeks ago i bought my DW 8002B double pedal.....i can now do double kick patterns without thinking about them, and get the volume i want with no issues. If another pedal works better for you then go for it. Before tossing aside an expensive double pedal though, try the ones in the shop on a drum kit, for a while. If you try to speed up and those pedals dont seem to work, then i might suggest looking at your technique.
haa see that's funny. when i tried the 8002b my feet almost vomited from the feel i got from it. for me it was one of the heaviest sluggish pedals i've played.

i havn't tried a sonor giant step, but i can say iron cobras and speed cobras are good for my feet, followed by a close 2nd to the 9000.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Gold Member

Thomas Lang used to do wonders with the Giant Step, not sure what he's playing nowadays, the 9000?
Anyway, it's definitely not a bad pedal, might not be the best feel for you, but should be far from inhibiting your playing considerably.

Fox.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:29 PM

Lang is using the DW 9000. But I'm sure Lang is at a point where he could put his feet on just about anything and make it work wonders for him. I don't think the Giant Steps are bad pedals...but I am beginning to think that they are not the right pedal for my foot.

Really leaning toward 9000 or Speed Cobra. I'll have to get back to the shop and give both a good test run to help me make my mind up.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:45 PM

Switch pedals, I use a DW 5000 AD3 Delta III single pedal. It's about $180.00 and well worth the money in my opinion. It does what I ask of it and it's completely versatile in all playing applications. I wouldn't trade it for anything at this point.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Silver Member

I have the sonor double pedal, love it, very responsive and very comfortable.....try changing springs or changing the settings before you go spend another couple hundy.

F
Old 04-19-2011, 11:53 PM

I do actually love the Giant Step. I hate the idea of giving up on it. I'd rather it was something solved by playing with the settings.

Since you have a Giant Step can you suggest settings that might help with the response.

SonorPlayer
Old 04-20-2011, 05:49 AM
Silver Member

move your feet a bit or tighten the springs up...everyone is different, I cant tell you what is good for you.

F
Old 04-20-2011, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

I'm one of those guys ... you know ... "those guys" .... who, if the pedal don't feel right, I move on. I was at a NAMM show, and Thomas Lang was just "amazing" on those pedals.
But, when I got my feet on one, naw ... I wasn't feeling it ... at all. And I was really in the market for a center design pedal. And at the time, Sonor and Off-Set were the "only" two choices. Sleishman had yet to hit the US market. So "my" money went to the Off-Set" pedal, for when I need a double pedal. I have two Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive singles, for when I use a single pedal.