DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-19-2011, 03:42 AM

Default Best Headphones For Drumming?

Hello, i have just started the drums recently and i decided to buy over the ear headphones for when i play. So i would plug in my normal earphones which will be playing music and putting the over ear headphones over and play to the music like that. I've decided to get Sennheiser one's but im not sure which is the best for this occassion...Could i get the DJ ones or not suited for drums? BTW, I HAVE ELECTRIC DRUMS! My price range is $100-$200.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Best Headphones For Drumming?

I've tried them all and I ended up getting Sony MDR-7506. GREAT headphones. Very Natural sounding, but they can reproduce the lowest of lows. Just a very tight sound all around. Sounds great on electric kits. VERY durable. Just my $.02
Old 04-22-2011, 02:34 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

All sorts of options, but the MDR-7506's are a very decent set for the money.

I would buy isolating phones in case you need them for acoustic drums in the future. Beyerdynamic make the DT-770 and DT-880, which are highly reviewed and AKG make various isolating sets to match budget - all of which are competitive in their market. I mix with a pair of high-end open-backed AKG Headphones, but they are not suitable for drumming.

You need to look for:

i) Decent frequency balance (a lot of phones, particularly cheap phones 'hype' the bass because it is 'flattering' to the sound.

ii) Isolating, i.e. close-backed. Isolated headphones are rated for -dB reduction. The higher the better.

iii) Comfortable. If you're going to wear them for long periods of time, they need to fit!

iv) Compatibility. Higher-end headphones often have a high impedance rating. If you're not going to drive a decent headphone amplifier, it's not worth buying these headphones.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:39 AM
audiotech

A new favorite of mine for acoustic drums are the Shure SRH 840. Another great set of over the ears phones are the KRK KNS-8400. They have an almost linear frequency response which will translate to many individuals as not having enough bass response, which it actually does. One more set of headphone a lot of people are using are the Sennheiser 280 series. Out of the bunch, these probably have the most ambient noise isolation figure, but the other two have a better flatter frequency response in my opinion. Whatever you buy, make sure they are of the "closed back" design to help attenuate outside of the ear cup interference.

Dennis
Old 06-01-2011, 02:32 AM

Default Try the EX29

Extreme Isolation EX29 are great drumming headphones. They were designed by a studio drummer for drummers. 29db of passive isolation, studio flat, no bleed, and just really great cans. Highly recommended. You can see them at: http://drumming-headphones.com
Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 AM

If you're looking for cheap but good, the Vic Firth studio isolation headphones aren't bad.

I've also heard that the fancy-pants Bose noise-cancelling headphones aren't bad for drumming, although I've never used them myself
Old 08-06-2011, 08:18 AM

I use Senheisser CX680. These are in-ears that they made in conjunction with Adidas. They are water (or sweat :P) resistant, have a Kevlar reenforcement on the cable and have special ear fins that help them lock in place in your ears. They ave never fallen out and I use them all the time for gigging with click all the time. I highly recommend them :) I picked mine up for about $120 AUS
Jackson
Old 01-11-2012, 03:43 AM

I have the VF Isolation headphones, they're pretty good for the price. They hold on to your head pretty tight, so if you move your head a bit, they should stay on. Only problem is they're hard to wear for long periods of time (IMHO).

Since you're playing with electric drums, remember to test that the acoustic noise of the sticks hitting the rubber cymbals/pads isn't heard when playing. It sucks to hear a crash or tom sound with the 'thwack' sound in the background.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:51 AM
Platinum Member

http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/audio-t...a-ath-m50.html

these are so good that i even use them to AB against my rokits & ADAMs
Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 AM

I bought a pair of Logitech UE 200 with a good pair of industrial ear muffs over the top, this works better than good :)
Old 01-30-2012, 03:44 AM
Gold Member

Get a decent set of Shure in ear monitors and thats all you will ever need, I have been using the same set for over 10 years now.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:48 PM

IMO the Vic Firth headphones are the worst sounding I have ever heard. I use either Shure or Galaxy Audio IEM's and have no issues with sound quality or noise. I actually have 2 pairs of the Vic Firths and my bandmates wont even use them haha, garbage!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:20 PM

I just got today the Beyerdynamic DT 770 M. I don't know for electric drums, but in any cases for acoustic drums they're just a DREAM. I can listen to music very clearly, and the noise attenuation is very well balanced, I can still hear the cymbals naturally
Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy View Post
http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/audio-t...a-ath-m50.html

these are so good that i even use them to AB against my rokits & ADAMs
My vote too, they are highly recommended. Also used a lot by electronic kit drummers.
Good sound isolation and great sound quality, even for mixing.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:21 AM

Klipsch S-4i - extremely good isolators and great bass

Vic Firth - poor low and high end - isolate well but too tight

HD-280 - don't isolate nearly as well as S-4i and bass is too weak (may be "flatter" but a little low end boost helps fro drum monitoring. I need to hear the kick)