DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 04-16-2011, 10:47 AM

Default Roland TD9KX or Yamaha DTX 550K

I am on the verge of buying an electronic kit. I have 2 great acoustic kits for gigging, but I am finding it too difficult to practice on them without annoying neighbors, so E-kit is the answer. I had a play on a Roland TD9-KX today for around an hour, and it was pretty good. I am also interested in the Yamaha DTX 550K. Now, I have no knowledge about E-Kits, so need to know which is the better kit. I can get either kit for similar money from my local drum store. I haven't really had a proper play on a 550k yet. The mesh heads on the Roland felt pretty good, but it concerns me a bit that the head response on the toms is much better than an A-Kit so might mess with my technique a bit. I didn't really like the feel of the cymbals and HH on the TD9-KX. I had a very brief hit on a 550k a few weeks ago and the cymbals and hh felt better. I need to know form you E-Kit experts which is the better overal kit and why.

Last edited by Late Bloomer; 04-16-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added more
Old 04-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Roland TD9KX or Yamaha DTX 550K

I'm not sure what your budget is, but you might also want to consider the new Yamaha DTX700...Yamaha just announced this kit a week ago..due in stores by June..very promising kit!...I've owned both brands both, but I prefer Yamaha..I attached a link below where you can see some of the new kits...there's also a DTX560, which has all new tom pads

http://www.rmcaudiodirect.com/Yamaha...rums-s/141.htm

Last edited by scorch whammin; 04-17-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:18 PM

Thanks, that is a good link. I live in Australia, and I reckon the DTX700 would be too expensive here. The best price in Australia for the 550k I have found is $2199AUD. Even though the Aussie $ is a little stronger than the US $, by the time I got it shipped out and we have to pay tax and duty above $1000, so I would probably be no better off buying from USA where they are around $1599USD.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

I'm biased sooooo....TD9 all the way!
Old 04-22-2011, 12:21 PM

The latest is, I have probably dropped the DTX 550K. The latest contenders are the Roland TD9kx2 and Yamaha DTXreme 111 standard. How would these 2 compare?
Old 04-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Bloomer View Post
The latest is, I have probably dropped the DTX 550K. The latest contenders are the Roland TD9kx2 and Yamaha DTXreme 111 standard. How would these 2 compare?
No comparison...the DTXtreme III is comparable to the td-20...
Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 PM

I play roland td12s and td4s, both are great, but not comparable to the dtxtreme III, which us muchhhhh better
Old 04-23-2011, 06:33 AM

Well, I have made up my mind. My wife found a Yamaha DTXtreme III standard in a runout sale on the internet in my country for a price I just can't refuse. Brand new un-opened in the box with warranty. I have ordered it and very excited about it.
I know they are not the latest model, but they seem to be still a very capable unit by what people have told me. I am glad I did not rush into buying the 2 original choices. The internet can be such a usefull tool.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Gold Member

You'll want to get the 512 mb DIMM installed in your module...this will enable you to download and use the extra kits that are out there (@ DTXperience)....also once you get up and running..I'd be more than happy to share my user kits with you...
Old 04-24-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
You'll want to get the 512 mb DIMM installed in your module...this will enable you to download and use the extra kits that are out there (@ DTXperience)....also once you get up and running..I'd be more than happy to share my user kits with you...
Yeah thanks. I know virtually nothing about E-drums but have heard something about the 512mb DIMM, but not sure how it all works. I am pretty excited about getting this kit. It is going to enable me to practice heaps more than I have been able to with the A-kits. The funny thing is, I had no interest in E-drums 4 weeks ago, and now I am about to purchase a fairly high end kit plus for not a more than I was going to pay for much lesser kits.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:21 PM

I have taken delivery of the DTXtreme III. I spent a few of hours putting it all together and loomed all the leads together to make it tidy. I then fired it up and had a hit on it. I must say I am very impressed with the kit sounds on it. Now I just have to learn all the ins and outs of the module. The first thing I want to do is do the 900series upgrade firmware. I am not sure how it is done though. I will probably also get an extra crash cymbal so it is a similar layout to my acoustic kit.
I am so glad I did not rush into getting a lesser kit.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Gold Member

Go here:

http://www.dtxperience.com/media.php

You'll see in the documents section downloadable updates for your module...Important - don't forget to read instructions (included with download) before attempting to update module...
Old 05-10-2011, 08:27 AM

Get Scorchers Kits, I still use his Maple and Birch kits for Gigs....Yamaha DTX for me is far superior than the Roland for me..........good choice mate
Old 05-10-2011, 12:52 PM

I have tried to download the firmware upgrade and the other kits. For some reason when I try to open the files after downloading them, my computer says it can't open the file. I have tried using 3 different laptops. It opens the pdf files associated though. What am I doing wrong? Also I would love a copy of your user kits, Scorcher. I bought a 4 gig usb flash drive the other day, but need to get hold of the 512 DIMM. I ended up downloading the above files from the Yamaha Australia website. Also I am having trouble registering as a member on the dtxperience forum. It keeps coming up with an error with the user name.