DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 04-16-2011, 04:18 AM
Platinum Member

Default Just an interesting little observation...

Okay, so here’s an interesting observation I have made since being on this forum. Drummers evidently have a different ear for rock music. (I know, duh, right?) For example: Led Zeppelin. When talking about their music most people I know would say that songs like Stairway to Heaven, Immigrant Song or All My Love were their favorites. However, Fool in the Rain has always been, hands down, my favorite Zep tune and when I would tell others, I would usually get strange looks. Yet since being on DW I have seen this song mentioned several times by different members as being one of their favorites. I’ve noticed this happen more than once with different songs that I like that I never see mentioned anywhere else but they get mentioned here.

So I’m thinking, even though not always a drummer in practice…I wonder if I’ve always kind of been drawn to “drummers tunes” as opposed to a great guitar lick or bass line (not that I don’t appreciate those as well). without even realizing it?

As I said, just a stupid little observation, but I something I’ve found quite interesting and oddly comforting…lol. Any thoughts?
Old 04-16-2011, 04:31 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Just an interesting little observation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryO View Post
Okay, so here’s an interesting observation I have made since being on this forum. Drummers evidently have a different ear for rock music. (I know, duh, right?) For example: Led Zeppelin. When talking about their music most people I know would say that songs like Stairway to Heaven, Immigrant Song or All My Love were their favorites. However, Fool in the Rain has always been, hands down, my favorite Zep tune and when I would tell others, I would usually get strange looks. Yet since being on DW I have seen this song mentioned several times by different members as being one of their favorites. I’ve noticed this happen more than once with different songs that I like that I never see mentioned anywhere else but they get mentioned here.

So I’m thinking, even though not always a drummer in practice…I wonder if I’ve always kind of been drawn to “drummers tunes” as opposed to a great guitar lick or bass line (not that I don’t appreciate those as well). without even realizing it?

As I said, just a stupid little observation, but I something I’ve found quite interesting and oddly comforting…lol. Any thoughts?
exactly.

: )
----------------------------------
Old 04-16-2011, 04:51 AM
Platinum Member

I'm with you, Mary-O. I think different people tend to be drawn to different things, depending on their interests. As a drummer/guitarist/bassist/singer/classical percussionist/engineer, I'm always drawn to at least ONE aspect of any given song, whether it's a lick, an arrangement, a performance, a texture, or a mix. Different days find me listening for different things, usually in direct relation to what I've been working on, musically, lately...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 04-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Platinum Member

Agree. I've long been drawn to drummy tunes too. I was a Peep Purple fan almost purely because of Ian Paice's drumming.

Still, lots of things in music draw me in ...

atmosphere

mood

sexiness

general sound

melody/harmony

arrangement

intricacy

virtuosity

dynamics

tasty drums or like this

riffs

vocal inflections

smart lyrics (and here's another with fabulous drumming as a bonus)

humour (intended or otherwise)

... and sometimes the video flat out does it for me :)
Old 04-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Rebel

Outstanding little observation, I have been always drawn by drumming tunes.

For example:

The/That Bonham feel, listening to the ride and those lightning-fast bass drum triplets...in How Many More Times / We're Gonna Groove / Heartbreaker / Good Times Bad Times...is just different, unique, unusual.

Ian Paice's singles & doubles, paradiddles are amazing...in Speed King, Flight of the Rat, Black Night, Space Truckin', Highway Star, Living Wreck.

Quote:
…I wonder if I’ve always kind of been drawn to “drummers tunes”
Old 04-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Agree. I've long been drawn to drummy tunes too. I was a Peep Purple fan almost purely because of Ian Paice's drumming.

Still, lots of things in music draw me in ...

atmosphere

mood

sexiness

general sound

melody/harmony

arrangement

intricacy

virtuosity

dynamics

tasty drums or like this

riffs

vocal inflections

smart lyrics (and here's another with fabulous drumming as a bonus)

humour (intended or otherwise)

... and sometimes the video flat out does it for me :)

Wow Pollyanna...you've definitely put much more thought into this than I have! But very interesting going thru your choices.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow Pollyanna...you've definitely put much more thought into this than I have! But very interesting going thru your choices.
Mary, I started with just three - atmosphere, melody and tasty drums.

Then I thought, "Oh yeah! Sound!" ... then "Oh yeah, and arranging!" and it grew into a bit of a monster from there ... the hard part was leaving things out :)

Obviously, I do especially love music with cool drums as a rule. Unless the drummer is a genius like Billy Cobham I'm not a huge fan of flashy shredding drumming, though. After a while I start taking the fancy stuff for granted - it becomes like intricate wallpaper to my ear. But I get excited when a drummer holds back on the chops and just cuts loose every now and then to give the music a lift.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Hellwyck

I love stuff like Cream and Eagles as much as I love Slayer and Preist.

"Flashy shreddy" drumming is one thing but fast keeping the beat like Charlie Benante (Anthrax) or Daniel Erlandsson (Arch Enemy) does is completely another.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:51 PM

The thing about Zeppelin for me is that I love all of them. Basically, I can listen to their entire discography in a sitting (at work) and love every song, and I don't think I have any favorites. Nothing any of them do is ever boring to me.

But I know what you're saying about music in general. I'll listen to awful music if the drumming is interesting.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

I'd call that an accurate observation, though most musos can listen past the lead and hear the whole piece anyway.

I think being a drummer gives you a greater appreciation for tracks with great drumming, but any musician can hear when a song just works and isn't just 15 seconds of a hook with some vocal filler.

I'm drawn to tracks with great drumming, but I also own a ton of bass solos and piano solos on records.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 PM

Too many facets to list for me. (I'm Lazy?)
I'll just say it's the sum of all it's parts and drumming does not have to be the main ingredient.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

I don't want anyone to think that I'm ONLY drawn to those songs that feature drumming...I've just noticed that it may be an explanation for liking some of the songs that I like that I just never really thought about before.

I'll be the first to admit that a great Jeff Beck guitar lick, an Elton John piano tune or the amazing vocals of a Freddy Mercury or an Imelda May can get me going too. Perhaps it's just since that I've started playing myself, that I am analyzing the drumming more than I used to. Who knows?