DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-27-2006, 07:21 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Mics?!?!?!?!?!?!

mic's into the board
board speaker output (or line output)
to Firewire or USB interface (like this one)
to sound program (like protools, logic, garage band, etc).

you can also spend more on an interface that has multiple mic inputs and run the mics directly into the interface, since the software can act as a board itself and usually allow you to control far more than a physical board would.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:33 AM

Default Re: Mics?!?!?!?!?!?!

THX MAN I REALLY APPRECIATE UR HELP i fnally get it now i was like ok now what does the mix board plug into but i get it now
Old 06-02-2006, 07:53 PM

Default Re: C2 Condenser mics

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSound
Cool stuff....i'll try that out on Tuesday.

Thanks for the pointers!

Hi TitanSound.

I have a pair of C-2s... they're pretty good. I recently replaced them with something from Beyerdynamic. I now use one of the C-2s over my high hats and I plan to have the other one poised over my ride when I get the necessary cables and stands. They are quite bright, so they do make good overhead mics... in my limited-knowledge opinion. For the money, I don't think you'll be too disappointed.

-Michael

* Cannons: Pearl SMX *
* Fodder: Evans G2 *
* Ignition: Pro-mark/Los Cabos *
* Ammo: Sabian HH*
Old 06-05-2006, 05:56 PM

Default What mics to record my drumset?

Hey guys!

I want to record my playing on my drumset... Now here is my question:

I've got two Rode NT1 and tow AKG SE300B mics... Are those any good for drum-recording?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:45 AM

Default Re: What mics to record my drumset?

The Rode condenser mics would work well for overhead placement or general field placement.

What capsules are you using with the AKG's?
What type of room are you recording in?
What method/equipment are you using to record?

If you're simply recording to listen to yourself, the two Rode's would be all you need. They should pick up most of the kit fairly well if placed as overheads. If you're looking for defined tone from each piece, you would need seperate dynamic mics on every tom, snare, bass drum, etc.... As well as a mixer with as many channels.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:01 AM

I've never used the AKGs but the NT1 sounds pretty good—a little bright but through a warm preamp it sort of evens out. If you're looking to purchase more mics rather than use what you have, for a low-cost/high performance mic I really, really, really, really, really, really recommend the Shure KSM 32. :) They sound great and are still a little under the radar so you can pick them up fairly cheap online.

My friend and I have a theory, though—that the preamp and compressor used on the mics will make a much bigger difference than the mic itself.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:17 AM

I'll be on studio during next week to record my drum tracks for a new album, I'll use two Shures 57 on snare, a bunch of Sennheisers 421 on toms, AKGs (dont know the number or a model for sure) - overheads, AudioTechnika (inside the bassdrum) and Shure 57 to pick up beaters "tchick", DDrum 4, Manley Voxbox compressors and equalizers....I'll post some results later....

Max.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:37 AM

I have the Samson 7-Piece Drum Microphone set. One for each of the three toms, one for the snare, one for the bass and 2 overhead condenser mics. Pretty expensive but it makes the set sound great.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:19 AM

hm... well...

My band and me want to record a few of our songs... In the garage of our guitarist.

Do you think the two Rodes as two overalls for all instruments (drums, bass, guitar) will do it?

We only want to get some records for a small demotape. We do not need a high-end studio recording yet ...
Old 06-06-2006, 02:25 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

The Rodes'll do the job. They make some good condensor mikes for the money. It might be worth seeing as you're doing it as a garage project, to see if the guitarist's amp has a DI output. This could save you a lot of trouble with soundproofing and microphone issues that you might encounter when recording a guitar amp with a condensor. If I were you, recording with his amp I'd rather DI it or use a reasonable dynamic (eg. SM57) than use a condensor. The condensors will be just great as overheads though for your drums.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:26 AM

the two condensers should work fine for general, "room" recording. placement, of course, will be crucial. try many, many mic and instrument locations before diving into "final" takes.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:31 AM

Perhaps we record every sound track apart...

But I think you must be very good at playing to a klick-track, and i've never done that before, just as the whole band. So we're not sure, if this will work.
But if.. what would you say: Can I use those mics (especially the AKGs) for the bassdrum; the Rodes as overalls ?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:33 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

If those AKGs are dynamics, I wouldn't suggest you use those as specific bass drum microphones. If they are dynamics, try it. I've seen an SM57 used as a bass drum mic with some success despite the small diameter of the diagphram.

If you want to record the parts separately (which was my assumption in the first place) I suggest you first play to a click, but you can also record to a scratch track. Record a rough mix of your band playing the track with an ambient room mic, then use that as your 'click' for when you re-record your part. Works like a charm providing the timing's right on the scratch.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:41 AM

I have no idea, what kind of mics that are.. They're not mine, but those of my brother. He can't help me and my band, so i have to do all that stuff by myself.

This are the AKGs

Perhaps someone of you can tell me whether they're good for bassdrum-recording or not. I Think if I want a fourth mic (2 overalls, 1 bassdrum = 3 +) for the snare, the AKG will do this job.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:46 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

They could work. Condensors though, you'd be better off using them as ambient room mics if I'm honest. With good placement you don't really need much more than two overheads for a good kit sound.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:53 AM

Ok, thanks man!

You really helped me.

perhaps you will hear one of the recordnings in a week..
Old 06-06-2006, 02:55 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I sincerely hope so. Come back in a year and I might be able to give you some really good advice. Definately want to hear how you've done with those recordings.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Default mics

I need as much info as can be provided about micing equipment

What kind of mics are used? Do drum mics use compressors?
Are there any example models that you can give me?

This is micing up for large hall playing

Thanks
Old 07-12-2006, 08:28 PM

Default Re: mics

There are really a lot of posibilities with mics.
Good old Shure SM57 can be used on snare, hihat and toms. (Some even use it on kick.)
For toms look for Shure Beta 56A.
Kick: AKG D112 or Beta 52A.
Cymbals need a little brighter mics, look a Condenser mic, example Shure PG81.

Here is a link to a document from Shure describing drumset micing.
http://www.shure.com/stellent/groups...s_drums_ea.pdf

/frode
Old 07-12-2006, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ng
I need as much info as can be provided about micing equipment

What kind of mics are used? Do drum mics use compressors?
Are there any example models that you can give me?

This is micing up for large hall playing

Thanks

Hi K3ng.

Usually (but not always) dynamics for the drums with large dynamics used for kick and sometimes floor toms, and condensors for overheads/close cymbal mic'ing with large condensors sometimes used for room mics.

Dynamics generally handle high sound pressure levels from drums like the kick and the snare better than condensors do. Condensors, because they are more sensitive to transients are usually used for cymbals and overheads.

Some engineers add compression to the drums, most often I believe, to the kick drum. Gating and other techniques, along with EQ, are often used, as well.

As for examples, I'm not sure what you're looking for and there is an infinite number of ways to mic a kit... using from one mic to well over a dozen... It depends what kind of a sound you're after, how big your kit is and how much you can afford to spend. I guess a good starting point would be a pair of small condensors as overheads, an SM57 for the snare and a Beta52 or something similar for the bass. Keep in mind that my limited experience is in home-recording and while I'm sure the basics are the same, there will be some differences for live mic'ing.

-Michael

Old 07-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

Thank you for the input guys.

Any other example brands/models for mics? I just need a rough idea before going shopping..
Bear in mind this is micing from medium large hall live playing, not recording (I think there's a difference right?)

Also, I know most mic-ed up drums are tuned with less resonance etc etc, but what if the drum were to maintain it's more ringy tuning, is there a different set of mics to use?

Does the Hi Hat need to have it's own mic or can it do without?

For bass drum micing, how different is the position of mic(outside resonant head/inside bass drum) and bass drum hole size in the resonant head going to affect the sound? Or the choice of equipment for that matter
Old 07-14-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ng
Thank you for the input guys.

Any other example brands/models for mics? I just need a rough idea before going shopping..
Bear in mind this is micing from medium large hall live playing, not recording (I think there's a difference right?)

Also, I know most mic-ed up drums are tuned with less resonance etc etc, but what if the drum were to maintain it's more ringy tuning, is there a different set of mics to use?

Does the Hi Hat need to have it's own mic or can it do without?

For bass drum micing, how different is the position of mic(outside resonant head/inside bass drum) and bass drum hole size in the resonant head going to affect the sound? Or the choice of equipment for that matter
Hi again, K3ng.

I use Shure, Rode and Behringer, but there are tons of others.

My drums ring nicely, and I haven't felt the urge to change that for recording... sounds pretty good to my ear.

Your hats are actually quite loud, and if mic'ed properly through the overheads, there won't really be a need IMO to add another mic just for them.

I have a Shure Beta52A inside of my bassdrum roughly in the middle of the drum on a small pillow, facig the beater. It really picks up the 'boom' of the drum. I also have a room mic (Rode large diaphram condensor) that's about 8 feet away and it picks up some of the attack from the beater. My drum has both heads intact (I feed the wire from the mic through the holes where my toms used to be attached-they're now on a rack). Getting the sound that I wanted from my bass drum was the most difficult thing, for me.

-Michael

Old 07-15-2006, 12:18 AM

to be honest im audix loyal. I recently had to buy a set of drum mics and i went with audix. They sound phenomenal. I play in a self produce, self managed, self recorded, self mastered band. basically we do everything.

The audix d6 will rip your heart out (if needed to) It can also give you taht fatt bass thump. very versitile. very nice kick mic. i bought the fusuion 6 pack for everything else. when recording i used a sm57 for the snare but other than that i use the fusion kit. The f10/12 mics are great. get nice tone; realistic. Also whats nice is they pickup just the right amount of low end. What caught me off gaurd was the overheads!! usually you buy a package mic kit and your overhead are the first to go. not in this case. These overheads are very nice. penicil compressors. They sound great. It makes ym cymbals sound better than real life. i like them alot. also good for instrument micing.

All these mics can be inter used with instrument micing. We have used the f12 for bass cab micing, and the f10 for guitar can micing, Of course when recording everything is done separately with several compressors and blah blah. thats another thread. these mics are also heavy duty. very tough. trust audix. you wont regret it
Old 07-15-2006, 12:18 AM

to be honest im audix loyal. I recently had to buy a set of drum mics and i went with audix. They sound phenomenal. I play in a self produce, self managed, self recorded, self mastered band. basically we do everything.

The audix d6 will rip your heart out (if needed to) It can also give you taht fatt bass thump. very versitile. very nice kick mic. i bought the fusuion 6 pack for everything else. when recording i used a sm57 for the snare but other than that i use the fusion kit. The f10/12 mics are great. get nice tone; realistic. Also whats nice is they pickup just the right amount of low end. What caught me off gaurd was the overheads!! usually you buy a package mic kit and your overhead are the first to go. not in this case. These overheads are very nice. penicil compressors. They sound great. It makes ym cymbals sound better than real life. i like them alot. also good for instrument micing.

All these mics can be used with instrument micing too. We have used the f12 for bass cab micing, and the f10 for guitar cab micing, Of course when recording everything is done separately with several compressors and blah blah. thats another thread. these mics are also heavy duty. very tough. For live applications these mics excel! They sound great live. great attack, great warmth, great sustain, i like them alot. i was very pleased/impressed with these budget mic kit. I would say the best on the market for the money. trust audix. you wont regret it
Old 07-15-2006, 12:34 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Tuner, how does that D6 compare with say a D112 or a D12? I've never been impressed with the D112 or D12 and I've used both. They both seem very 'flat' sounding with almost no life to the sound. Although I have heard of the 'secret trick' with the D112, I'd much rather just go for a better microphone to start with.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:38 AM
Silver Member

Another add in.

Any other alternative suggestions aside from the shures ? They're a little over budget at the moment.

Any cheaper mic sets? Relatively good? What about T-Bones?
Old 07-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

I use the AKG D112 on kick. I have two MXL 604s that can go in either cardiod or omni mode. I really like using one of those in omni for my overhead. Today I think I'm gonna try the other in cardiod on the snare. Previously I've used a trash mic (Optimus) on the snare with nice results. I even liked it better than the SM58- hah! I have a MXL 2001 which I use for a room mic when I have an extra input open. I prefer the room mic to a plugged reverb. So many mics to choose from... I can't wait until I can afford some more. Don't forget about your preamps! I have two ART Pro Channels that are very nice and a Presonus Tube Pre which was a freebie and gets the job done.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:48 PM

two overhead behringer b-1 condensers work great for me. and i put a sennheiser e609 on the batter side of my bass drum. also a Blue Kickball if i want to bring out the snare a little more.

the end.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:11 PM
IDDrummer

Another vote for Audix, especially the D6 on the bass drum.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:54 PM

Do you intend on only micing your kit in a large hall? You might wanna go into a small environment one day. Or, even a studio someday. You need to take those factors into consideration before jumping into buying mic's.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Silver Member

NaturalRaz,

forgot to mention, this isn't me kit. It's me church's kit, and it's definitely going to stay in that hall =P and not go to a studio. So yes, medium to large hall usage only.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

In my own experience, mics for PA use and mics for studio use aren't hugely different. A good microphone is a good microphone. My own personal favourites that I've used are:

Overheads: AKG C-1000
Snare: Shure SM58/57
Bass: AKG D12 (D112) (I would like to use an Audix D6, but no experience with sadly)

Those are a good 'industry standard' set to work from. Obviously the prices might be a little high (especially for the overheads) but that set works and has been shown to work even in inexperienced hands like my own with sub-par (even for an amateur) skills and almost no experience.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Chip

Sorry for the 'hijack' as such...........Don't want to make another thread just for this.

Has anybody had experience with "Nady" mic's? I just want some cheap (a BD mic, 4 x Sn, Tom, 2 cymbal mics for 330AU) mics to record my ideas and track my progress. I have access to an iBook with GarageBand.... I'm a real 'noob' when it comes to recording. Dunno about the mixer though.

Will 2 cymbal mics cover hats, 2 crashes and a ride?

It's not for any serious recording, just to record ideas, track progress, maybe record a few songs with the band. I can go elsewhere for serious recording.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:12 PM

Default Drum Mics

I'm finaly going to cut a demo with my home recording software, but i dont have mics... I will probably oly use 2 overheads and a bass (possibly a snare) I already own a sure m57. what mics should i buy
Old 07-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Drum Mics

i bought the Audix Fusion 6 pack. It was @ $350 i think and well worth the money. I recorded with em and they sounded good. If you are looking to mic everything, this is a good place to start. The only problem is that the kick mic is not "ideal" -- the audix D6 will be my next mic upgrade.

If you are looking to do just the 2 overheads and a kick mic (minimal set-up), go with the Audix D6 for the kick mic and stick with the sm57's for overheads.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:48 PM
Chip

Look into "Nady". They are 180US(? I think, I don't know the conversion rate that well) for the DMK-7 pack. 4 x snare/tom mics, 2 x cymbal mics, 1 bass mic. I read a lot of reviews by a lot of surprised people, e.g. (this is along the ines, not an actual quote)

Quote:
I was expecting bad quality mics for the money, but these actually recorded better than some more expensive mics! Can't beat a Shure SM58(7?) for the snare though. They took about an hour to set up good, keep them close to the heads. The bass mic sounds great with some EQ'ing!
They were the responses that seemed to be the most common. They are available on Musiciansfriend.com.

Hope there was some help there!
Old 07-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis

If you are looking to do just the 2 overheads and a kick mic (minimal set-up), go with the Audix D6 for the kick mic and stick with the sm57's for overheads.
Will SM57s work as overheads? I don't want to spend $350 x 2 on SM81s, and I could easily pick up 3 SM57s for about $150 (one for the snare while I'm at it).

Stu
Old 07-18-2006, 07:37 PM
Pioneer Member

not 100% sure, stu -- i heard they could but are not necessarily ideal. the last time i recorded i used samson condensor mics as overheads. i always look at the sm57 as an all-around mic. defenately look into it further before taking my advise, thats for sure :)

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Will SM57s work as overheads? I don't want to spend $350 x 2 on SM81s, and I could easily pick up 3 SM57s for about $150 (one for the snare while I'm at it).

Stu
Hey Stu.

As I understand it, the 57s will be fine, but a pair of condensors would be better as overheads. The reason being that the condensors are better at picking up transients so you'll get a much better cymbal sound from them than you will from the 57s. i.e. the condensors will do a better job with those beautiful high freqs. from your cymbals. This is so, apparently, due to the fact that condensors are more sensitive than dynamic mics, like the Shure 57, and they are put into motion more quickly, etc... Definitely go for the 57 for your snare, though.

-Michael

Old 07-22-2006, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip

8< snip snip snip >8

Will 2 cymbal mics cover hats, 2 crashes and a ride?

It's not for any serious recording, just to record ideas, track progress, maybe record a few songs with the band. I can go elsewhere for serious recording.
Two mics will cover your setup pretty well. I use a pair of condensors in an x-y position placed about the middle of the kit and about 3-feet above. This setup gets all of my cymbals and does a pretty good job on the snare and toms, too. It's a little weak on the bass, though.

Actually, I also get pretty good sound just from my "room" mic, a large condensor (Rode). It does as good a job with the cymbals and the toms/snare as the two overheads, but it does a better job with the bass drum. I usually mix that in with the overheads and the close mics, but it has a pretty kickass sound all on its own. I have that mic placed about 8 feet away and about 4 feet of the floor.

Rock on!
-Michael
NP: 30 Seconds to Mars - 30 Seconds to Mars