DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 06-07-2014, 03:14 AM

Default Help with the RIMS dynamount for 16 and 18 toms?

I just got the 16 and 18 dynamounts from Guager percussion today. I installed them, and although it was tedious , i was very very careful in doing all of it, making sure all was in perfect alignment.

The toms sound much worse than when i started, which is saying a lot, since in the first place, they sounded bad enough for me to justify over 200 dollars for these things.

Before, if i picked up the tom, and stuck it, it sounded amazing, and i was hoping the dynamount would allow me to get that sound with the toms on the floor.

but even now, when i pick it up with the dynamount in stalled and i strike it, the drum is very very choked, which means somehow the dynamount is hindering resonance of the shell.

Anyone know what i might be doing wrong here? Im really dissapointed in the combination of my skills and whatever other factors may be contributing to this bad sound.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Help with the RIMS dynamount for 16 and 18 toms?

That's not good.

Just to rule it out, did you get the drum tuned up well?

I did a quick search and found this video. It has an interesting tip at the end for making sure you have good resonance. Not sure if you've seen it. http://youtu.be/YeeXr4QG7tk
Old 06-07-2014, 06:56 AM

Yes, i have tried all that, in fact, i followed that video as best i could.

Im decent at tuning, and i actually have it tuned to the same pitch as before. just to keep a control on it to make sure i cut out as many variables as possible.

16" batter to A and reso a minor third above
18" batter to E and reso a minor third above

I got reallllllllly nice sound out of this tuning when I had no mount on the drum and lifted it by the hoop.

now all i can hear is the top and bottom heads, the drum is being choked out like crazy.

POSSIBLE ISSUE BUT SHOULDNT BE:
my drums are from a custom company, and the shells are actually smaller than normal. all the tension rods actually angle outwards at the top, due to the shell being a very small bit smaller. I was thinking this may put pressure on the shell from the way the springs sit. as in the springs from the dynamount may be yanking out on the shell, since the shell is smaller than it should be

but the hoop is adjustable in size on the dynamount, i have it at the smallest possible setting, perhaps this is still not small enough.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:34 PM

Interesting. Maybe try some sort of rubber/nylon spacer under the lugs. I got some custom lugs and the guy sent me two different thicknesses to see which fit the shells I was using better.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:21 AM

There are already spacers between the lugs and my shell. Any more would render the screw too short to connect the lugs to the shell.

Gary Gauger of gauger percussion gave me a call on my very own cell phone today, and we discussed what might be the issue. we were able to identify the shell being smaller than the norm as being the proximate cause of the hindering of resonance.

He suggested a different product of his, called the flex-tips that will work much better for my scenario, and i have some of those on order.

Gary Gauger is a fantastic man, and puts absolutely everything into perfecting his products. We spent quite some time on the phone discussing what the issue was, because he was interested in the reason as to why it was not functioning, in order to improve his products and spot any weak areas that may exist.

There are no weak areas, my drum simply was not built to accept such a device.
But no matter, Gary Gauger has other things up his sleeve that will work beautifully for my drums.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member

I just watched this video on the Dynamount system. http://youtu.be/YeeXr4QG7tk
Wow, what a Rube Goldberg design that is :)
All that you need is standard tom leg mounts and legs with feet like these http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums...%5E30427771947
Old 06-08-2014, 06:43 AM

That's cool that he looked into the problem so much and found another solution for you. Not many people/companies do that anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzarren View Post
There are already spacers between the lugs and my shell. Any more would render the screw too short to connect the lugs to the shell.
Obviously they need bigger spacers and longer screws. ;)