DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-15-2011, 03:26 PM

Default KICK BOOM

Hey, I would like to know if anyone out here has a bigger kick then this one, Would like to see it, 28X24 DEEP Thanks
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2011, 03:28 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: KICK BOOM

Would be that Pork Pie-kit with 36"... but I think it's not as deep as yours, which makes your bigger (in volume).
Old 04-15-2011, 03:41 PM

Can you find the Pork Pie Kick, Thanks
Old 04-16-2011, 02:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky View Post
Can you find the Pork Pie Kick, Thanks
Here ya go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGEIwtOKHJc
Old 04-17-2011, 12:24 AM

Mine is close BUT no cigar....

I have a 23" around by 26" deep. It sounds wonderful.
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2011, 12:25 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

I don't think I'll ever understand deep bass drums.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Inky, I saw this up for sale on CL a month ago. What happened? did you lose the nerve to part with it? Can't blame you, I'd hold on to it.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I don't think I'll ever understand deep bass drums.
There's little to understand really. Mostly bought on a fashion cool whim, but occasionally, one falls into the hands of someone who actually knows how to get the best out of it. Thing is, deep drums need to be deigned with their depth in mind, not as simply a deeper version of an existing mean sized product.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:31 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

That's the thing though. I'm not saying this thread is an example, but they seem to often be a 'vanity' acquisition with little thought as to its function. It's a combination of not really understanding why that would be a good idea and the fact that it just is not to my taste at all.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That's the thing though. I'm not saying this thread is an example, but they seem to often be a 'vanity' acquisition with little thought as to its function. It's a combination of not really understanding why that would be a good idea and the fact that it just is not to my taste at all.
Well I didn't make the kit but I'll refer to Franky on this one. "I didn't make [it] for you". You don't have to understand it, that's the beauty of subjectivity.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:38 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Well I didn't make the kit but I'll refer to Franky on this one. "I didn't make [it] for you". You don't have to understand it, that's the beauty of subjectivity.
Did he ever take it out gigging regularly? That's the primary concern for me here. I find it bad enough carting a 22x16 around which is why I have a very small kit to fit in the back of my car. I just think it's impractical and probably doesn't give you much more than a shallower bass drum - at least in circumstances this extreme.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:44 PM
sticks4drums

Myself I don't like the sound of a really short kick drum. There is not enough depth to its sound. Kind of like really short toms. Why should my toms have all this nice resonance and my bass drum just have a short quick thump. I like more of a boom. I also like the way a 20" looks compared to a 16, or 18. A 14 looks really out of place to me.

I wonder if any of the guys that play short ones and don't understand the longer ones have ever tried one. :)
Old 04-19-2011, 07:46 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Did he ever take it out gigging regularly? That's the primary concern for me here. I find it bad enough carting a 22x16 around which is why I have a very small kit to fit in the back of my car. I just think it's impractical and probably doesn't give you much more than a shallower bass drum - at least in circumstances this extreme.
I will agree with you that when it comes time to move the drum, the shallower the better. :)
Old 04-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member

I used to gig with a 20x28 for about 8 years. I had a 16x28 for a couple years before that one.
I just really liked it. It was a comfortable drum to play, sounded awesome and looked cool.

Now I use a 20x26 as my main gigging drum (for the last 8 years) and have recorded with 2 different kicks that size as well.
Nothing but great words regarding these drums. Very easy to mic up live, and for recording (great set-up and tuning is the key!).

Before the 20x26's, it was a 16x26 (gigged 2 yrs, & I still use it), and an 18x26 (on my rehearsal kit).

The playing style on the deeper drums is part of the equation, but on the 16x26, I could use that for anything other than a Jazz gig.
The tuning and set up on a deeper drum is something each person has to come up with for themselves and the way they play a bass drum.

But, yes, a shorter drum is easier to haul, and a smaller diam drum is too....but I just have too much fun playing the bigger drum, and the sound is fantastic.

My bands would be bummed if I got a smaller bass drum also.

The 20" depth has been a "magic" size for me, I don't think I'd want to go deeper than that sound-wise (and case-wise!).

For "looks" the old Alex Van Halen 28 or 32" deep by 26" Stainless Steel kit (from 79-80) has been a fave of mine. Eric Carr from Kiss had some cool looking kits too with the turbo bass drums.

For Rock they are cool, but for anything else, a real deep bass drum might sound good, but look really out of place. Gotta pick your spots.

To me, there is no bad size bass drum, I like a 14x18 as much as my 26's & 28's, so to each their own!
Old 04-24-2011, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Inky, I saw this up for sale on CL a month ago. What happened? did you lose the nerve to part with it? Can't blame you, I'd hold on to it.
I will keep it, Maple And it sounds REAL DEEP, Thanks folks for your input.

Happy Easter
Old 04-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Silver Member

I rock a maple 28x16 kick,18x18 floor tom and 15x12 snare. don't see the need for a deeper shell. Infact if I ever get another 28 I'd want it to be 14 inches deep. besides my 28x16 it's already a P.I.T.A. to move around. How does yours fit through a normal door?
Old 04-27-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilbagua View Post
I rock a maple 28x16 kick,18x18 floor tom and 15x12 snare. don't see the need for a deeper shell. Infact if I ever get another 28 I'd want it to be 14 inches deep. besides my 28x16 it's already a P.I.T.A. to move around. How does yours fit through a normal door?
I here that, The door thing, I have a drum tech that sets up, Big thanks to Jane, She is the best, Do you have a photo of your kick? Thanks
Old 04-27-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
I used to gig with a 20x28 for about 8 years. I had a 16x28 for a couple years before that one.
I just really liked it. It was a comfortable drum to play, sounded awesome and looked cool.

Now I use a 20x26 as my main gigging drum (for the last 8 years) and have recorded with 2 different kicks that size as well.
Nothing but great words regarding these drums. Very easy to mic up live, and for recording (great set-up and tuning is the key!).

Before the 20x26's, it was a 16x26 (gigged 2 yrs, & I still use it), and an 18x26 (on my rehearsal kit).

The playing style on the deeper drums is part of the equation, but on the 16x26, I could use that for anything other than a Jazz gig.
The tuning and set up on a deeper drum is something each person has to come up with for themselves and the way they play a bass drum.

But, yes, a shorter drum is easier to haul, and a smaller diam drum is too....but I just have too much fun playing the bigger drum, and the sound is fantastic.

My bands would be bummed if I got a smaller bass drum also.

The 20" depth has been a "magic" size for me, I don't think I'd want to go deeper than that sound-wise (and case-wise!).

For "looks" the old Alex Van Halen 28 or 32" deep by 26" Stainless Steel kit (from 79-80) has been a fave of mine. Eric Carr from Kiss had some cool looking kits too with the turbo bass drums.

For Rock they are cool, but for anything else, a real deep bass drum might sound good, but look really out of place. Gotta pick your spots.

To me, there is no bad size bass drum, I like a 14x18 as much as my 26's & 28's, so to each their own!
You mentioned all these deep bass drums and how cool they look, but didn't say a word about how they sound except to say "sounded great". How does a deep kick sound compared to a shallower one? How do you personally tune a deep sounding kick? I take it the 20x26 is your goto kick now? Why did you choose that particular depth as opposed to a shallower one?

This is coming from a 16x26 kick guy who's curious =)
Old 04-28-2011, 01:45 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky View Post
I here that, The door thing, I have a drum tech that sets up, Big thanks to Jane, She is the best, Do you have a photo of your kick? Thanks
O-course. Heres the half steel wrapped acrylic/chrome maple bastard. 28x16 24 lug monster,22x14,18x18,16x16,14x12,14x8,13x9,12x8 destroyer. Not running a 12" deep snare in the pic, good ol' 14x8 VP. Also the shallower depth big diameter kicks are less thuddy and muddy sounding to me. I tune mine rather tight so it packs a big punch but it still has a ultra deep sound from the 28" diameter. Speaks quicker to since the air doesn't have to travel as far to the reso head. Kind of an odd angle on the pic due to small room.

*edit just found an older pic where you can see the size diff much better and VP!
Attached Images

Last edited by Evilbagua; 04-28-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilbagua View Post
O-course. Heres the half steel wrapped acrylic/chrome maple bastard. 28x16 24 lug monster,22x14,18x18,16x16,14x12,14x8,13x9,12x8 destroyer. Not running a 12" deep snare in the pic, good ol' 14x8 VP. Also the shallower depth big diameter kicks are less thuddy and muddy sounding to me. I tune mine rather tight so it packs a big punch but it still has a ultra deep sound from the 28" diameter. Speaks quicker to since the air doesn't have to travel as far to the reso head. Kind of an odd angle on the pic due to small room, but you can see the size diff with 22 vs 28.
Jesus. I think I just peed a little...