DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 04-14-2011, 04:28 PM

Default Help identify a Premier drum set

Got a Premier drum set 3 pieces (belived to be birch) with transparent lacquer finish 22/13/16 and chrome 8 lug snare. Black interiors on the 3 drums. Need to know model number, approximate age of manufacturer, and any other useable information or approximate value of the drums. The badges on the drums say "Premier England" the snare drum badge says " Premier Made in England". The snare drum didn't not come with the kit and was purchased seperately. Any information regarding these drums would be appreciated, as I have little experience in the Premier drum line. Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by mrmdrums; 04-14-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added information in description
Old 04-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Help identify a Premier drum set

Premier had a couple of pro lines in the 70's 80's,it looks like you have black interiors,if you look inside at the shells,if you see no re rings,you could have a resonator black shadow kit,the put an inside ply from re ring to re ring so it looks like a straight sided unobstructed shell,I believe the resonators came in a black laquer finish,and also one that had a purple tinge like yours,I am sure the Premier guys will be along to clarify/correct me.If it is a resonator kit you will not see any screw heads inside,the apk series had no re rings,and black interiors,but I don't think they had lugs that looked like yours,and I don't think they made square mounted toms.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Silver Member

Wow, these bring back good memories of hanging around Andertons Music store in the UK a good few years ago! They may be Premier Elite drums, something about the tom mount looks familiar, nice drums, enjoy!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like an APK from the early 90's.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:23 PM

Actually the kit is missing the tom arm mount from the bass drum. The tom has a mount bracket that accepts a 10.5 mm L-rod. I have the tom mounted off a Gibraltar double tom mount. Any information regarding locating the original Premier tom arm mount would be greatly appreciated. I have looked on eBay but never have seen one for sale. The bass drum mount is larger than the standard 7/8" down tube dimension (i.e., Pearl, Tama, Ludwig etc are too small). I believe they maybe from the 80's/90's but would like to know for sure, the model name, catalog finish name and year of manf/production. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:15 PM

I agree with DrumEatDrum, this is either an APX or an XPK from late 80's/early 90's. Black interiors with a rough, lightly sealed texture inside. The Resonators will have an extra "Resonator" badge (or holes if missing) underneath the P-badge and like Eameuser says, no visible screws holding the lugs to the shell because the inner shell covers them.

Premier used at least two different tom mounts around this time. The more common one is the later design with the big fat chrome housing over the two ball mounts that they used for pretty much all of the 90's. The older one is an omni-ball type design that they used in the late 80's right around the time Yamaha bought Premier and owned them for a few years. I don't know if the mounts are interchangeable or not, but I really think that that second type of tom mount could be found online or wherever without too much digging. Also, this site is somewhat helpful. You have to poke around a little to find the 80's & 90's drums: http://vintprem.moonfruit.com

Check ebay for pricing, these kits are routinely listed because Premier sold a lot of 'em...
Old 04-14-2011, 07:54 PM
Platinum Member

XPK. 8 lugs on the kick.. and lacquer finish. APK were wrap.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:51 PM
NPYYZ
This message has been deleted by NPYYZ.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 PM

Probably a bit late as its a year ago now... It's a Premier Black Shadow, it was a particular deep black lacquer finish that Premier applied to their top of the line Resonator range and can appear that purple colour in photos. I have a black shadow snare (the snare did not have the inner shell) I also have two resonator kits that have the same inner lining sprung fit shell. Yours, as correctly identified by someone else has the black finish to the inner shell as well.

Beautiful kits and not very common these days. Premier serial numbers were a bit chaotic and had no real meaning but i would assume your kit is between late 80's and very early 90's as the tom holder on the bass drum is the later version with a single screw wing nut as opposed to the lokfast version on my early and mid 80's kits with two nuts.

Picture of one of my resos attatched
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2014, 08:17 PM

Hi there,

Can anyone please help me with any info on the attached kit...original and all pieces there gr8 condition...for a m8 whos father passed away he, would like to sell but has no info ...re make,model, year made and possible worth...many thanx
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2014, 08:46 PM
The SunDog

To the first guy, it's an XPK, early 90's. It's birch/meranti/birch with black interiors. XPK is a lacquer finish while APK is the wrapped version. They are impressive sounding drums, originally an intermediate level kit, they sound more like a pro level. Their value is nominal as they are not rare or highly collectible. $300-$400

To the second guy, yours is also an XPK. Late 90's to early 00's. It is a birch/eucalyptus/birch shell with clear interiors. Again value is nominal, probably $500-$600.

Last edited by The SunDog; 11-16-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell.a View Post
Hi there,

Can anyone please help me with any info on the attached kit...original and all pieces there gr8 condition...for a m8 whos father passed away he, would like to sell but has no info ...re make,model, year made and possible worth...many thanx
You/he has options, could sell the drums separate from the hardware (assuming there's probably hardware in that case), and also sell the cymbals separate... this would yield the most money, but also be the most labor and time intensive.

Those drums in the USA would fetch 3-$400, with the hardware (in the case?) maybe another 100. The cymbals we really can't tell what you have there, but it would be worth it (if they're good) to sell them ea separately, as that would yield the most money. The cymbals look like ZILDJIAN A's, we'd have to see the other sides of em to be sure tho.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SunDog View Post
To the second guy, yours is also an XPK. Late 90's to early 00's. It is a birch/eucalyptus/birch shell with clear interiors. Again value is nominal, probably $500-$600.
but the cases for the 2nd guy are way cooler.......
Old 11-17-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SunDog View Post
To the first guy, it's an XPK, early 90's. It's birch/meranti/birch with black interiors. XPK is a lacquer finish while APK is the wrapped version. They are impressive sounding drums, originally an intermediate level kit, they sound more like a pro level. Their value is nominal as they are not rare or highly collectible. $300-$400

Slight correction, it's just birch/merranti and dates from 1987-91. The inner plies on these versions were merranti, hence they were painted black. They changed to birch at the same time as the adoption of clear lacquer inside, sometime in the mid 90s.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:00 PM

I have a late 90's Genista in what I've been told is the "Gold Top" finish! I was also told that this finish was a very limited production (only 50 kits made)! The sizes are 8x10, 9x12, 11x14, 13x16, 18x22 and a 5-1/2x14 snare! I have the original sales tags from may 1999.

Can anyone provide and info on this?
Old 10-19-2016, 12:38 PM

As per my other post, Gold Top as the colour is similar to the colour used by Gibson on Les Paul guitars. One of 50 made for Drum Center (allegedly one for each US state).
Old 04-18-2017, 09:25 PM

Hi !

I just found these Premier toms and bass drum, what do you think? APK or XPK?

Thank you :)
Old 04-19-2017, 05:41 AM
Gold Member

Power toms with long lugs, but not RIMS mounts = pre 1997
Wrapped shells could be APK. XPK have always been lacquered finish, I think.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:25 AM
Gold Member

APK for sure birch/maranti shells. I had the exact kit purchased in 96, but in black diamond wrap.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:34 AM

APK ok thanks to both of you!!