DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 04-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Default to axis or not to axis

I have played a lot of pedals.

I can play fast and precise death metal or slower and intricate tool songs, like the grudge.

i dont like iron cobras, and used for a long time dw5000.

I am going to run into some money next week.

I remember when axis came out. I always loved them.

What are users experiences?

I put my pedals through a lot. I don't just use double bass drums for fills. Think "rapture" by morbid angel. Use during solos. In 4 measures I might be doing a mixture of eighth note triplets, 16ths and 64ths.

I'm thinking of upgrading to heavy springs from the get go. Looking at "X2" style. Like the advantages of "A2" but on the surface, a Axis double pedal is an Axis. The direct drive is what I'm after anyway. Years of squeaky chains, or non smooth action, uneven feel from slave to non slave, etc.

I know a lot of serious players that would be using double bass drums as often as I do use them. Derrick Roddy for example.

So they seem to hold up to the job.

Please post, your insights , from actual owners, they would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:18 PM

Default Re: to axis or not to axis

the deadline is getting close, would appreciate your input.

Im pretty much set on the idea, just wondering if there IS any cons to the whole deal
Old 04-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Gold Member

axis are really good pedals, the only problem i have with them is the price and how often they break. and in my opinion you can get iron cobras/speed cobras/dw9000's to feel as good as them.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:26 AM

If you're definitely after direct drive pedals I wouldn't only look at Axis. I remember hearing that the Trick pedals, (Trym used/uses them), were better built and there's those new Pearl ones that are probably worth a shout.

I also remember hearing that one of the downsides of Axis pedals was that you couldn't adjust the footboard height by much. When I was looking for some new pedals a few years ago and was considering some Axis pedals I eventually bought some DW9002s cos there seemed to be more you could adjust with them. I didn't like the idea of a super light pedal cos I like to feel something under my feet.

I think if I was going to invest in some Axis pedals nowadays I'd have to know their repair/replacement service was a bit quicker than they were a few years ago. A friend bought some about 4-5 years ago, broke them and then waited forever to get them fixed cos they had to be sent back to America. Sod that.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreliscious View Post
I think if I was going to invest in some Axis pedals nowadays I'd have to know their repair/replacement service was a bit quicker than they were a few years ago. A friend bought some about 4-5 years ago, broke them and then waited forever to get them fixed cos they had to be sent back to America. Sod that.
i have a friend who has been waiting over a year now for ONE screw...
Old 04-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

Also check out the Yamaha FDDD. That's the one I put money out towards. I own 2 single pedals. FP 9410's ... the newer style ... FP 9500D ... and in between was the FP 9415.
I've put my feet on Axis pedals as often as I can (and in 20 some years, that's a lot), and I've never "clicked" with one, though I love direct drive pedals ... Had Speed King's, Ghost's, and Tama King Beat's, but the Axis never got my cash.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:21 AM

If your keen on DD Axis pedals are very nice pedals indeed, but they take alot of getting used to, if your in a band frequently giging. Trying to burn out triples and fast fills might be a problem live, if your not adjusted to them, my feet basicly acted like they where on lsd :P
But once you practice enough with them your feet will adjust and you will fly!

Chain driven pedals like DW9000, Speed Cobras would be a great choice of pedal and easyier to adjust too.

I use IC's and love them, at the end of the day its really a personal preference :)

thats just my 2 cents

Mulch
Old 04-19-2011, 02:12 AM

I like the demon drive pearls, more expensive than axis.

I haven't looked into the yamahas.

I am not a huge fan of Iron Cobras. I have had dw5000 before. I liked them, but chains sometimes can have problems.

I don't mind the idea of being light pedals, feeling like there is nothing under there.

As far as waiting a year for a screw that is ridiculous, terrible customer service.

Thanks for your insight, I'll check out those yamaha pedals as well.

..I forgot to add, Trick pedals may be nice but almost 900 dollars is pretty expensive dor a double pedal. Trymm, if the same from emperor, is a great drummer, but I don't have that kind of money.

Last edited by paistemage; 04-19-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:05 PM

Has anyone used the gibraltar 9611 direct drives?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paistemage View Post
I have had dw5000 before. I liked them, but chains sometimes can have problems.
What specific problems are you referring too? Forgive me, but having played chain pedals for the last 25 years I don't think I've ever experienced a problem with chains on sprockets. Replacing heel hinges (after the first three years of heavy playing with my first DW pedal- an old-style 5000 with a single chain and no pedal plate, much like the old Camco), broken springs and hooks, those have been the extent of any issues I've suffered.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:56 AM

Noise, which isn't a big deal. Slippage when teeth could accidently break.
Or did break.

I like the feel of direct drive pedals the more I try them.

My dw5000 did stand up to several years of usage, and to their credit, only had problems in the last couple years. That was with heavy usage.

I only, honestly have had minimal problems, but do like the construction/ease of play of direct drive pedals more.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:03 AM
Silver Member

If you want direct drive I have a Slingy Yellowjacket I will sell to you for the price of a new Axis. You might want to get your calves in shape first though.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Silver Member

Have you checked out yamaha 9500d yet? Havent tried any other DD pedals but I really like the yamahas. Took a while getting used to of course but I like them alot now. And they cost half as much as Axis ;)
Old 04-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

I would definately give the Yamahas a try if you can.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 AM

I ended up getting a mapex raptor for a lot less.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:46 AM
Silver Member

Make sure to post up some impressions on the Raptors, they seem like one of the best values on the market right now
Old 04-27-2011, 06:11 AM

@scarlit

I will be posting a very concise review of the pedal very soon.

As far as playing it, that will happen after this weekend .

I can give a review of intial impressions, but would include the playing perspective after this weekend.

Apartments=no drums, play at prctice spot on weekends. Why can't neighbors just love the sound of drums?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:04 AM

I bought an Axis A Longboard a few weeks ago. At first I thought it was not going to be my cup of tea but I wanted to give it a fair chance. I played with the adjustment for the leverage, spring tension, and most importantly got used to the direct drive feel until I can honestly say I play my fast stuff faster and easier than with my Iron Cobra and it feels to me like it more accurately follows my foot movements.
I still miss that top heavy power feeling of the IC so I may experiment with different beaters and leverage adjustments to get a better power/speed balance. I'm definitely keeping the Axis. Can't comment on the Trick but I liked the Axis better than the Pearl DD when I tried both at the store.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:12 AM

I just played some Raptors over the weekend and they felt great. I ended ordering the Falcons because I get a pretty good deal on mapex gear. I only paid 285.00 for the Falcons and, if I choose, I can buy the direct drive conversions for them. The Raptors felt surprisingly solid for such a low priced pedal.