DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-14-2011, 05:54 AM

Default New reso heads for recording

Going into recording in a few weeks, and I forgot I'm gonna need to replace my reso heads too (no idea how old they are... covered in sticky tape from the first owner) I have a Tama Rockstar

Right now they are the original Tama reso heads, and I will be getting Evans G2 (clear) for the other side. What reso heads should I get? I have absolutely zero experience with them, so any help is appreciated.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:50 AM
audiotech

Default Re: New reso heads for recording

If you can't remember how old they are, it's time to change them. If it were me, I'd marry the Evans G2 batter heads with G1 clear resonant heads. I'm running that combo now on my Tama Starclassic Bubinga kit and G2 coated over G1 clear on my Gretsch kit. I did have them on my Yamaha drums, but I switched the batter heads to G1 coated a while back.

Dennis
Old 04-14-2011, 08:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
If you can't remember how old they are, it's time to change them. If it were me, I'd marry the Evans G2 batter heads with G1 clear resonant heads.
Dennis
+1

It's a tried and tested combination that sounds great live or for studio work.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 AM

Should I change the Bass reso head too? It's the same age as the kit and the rest of the reso heads.

Also, my Bass head is just a few months old, does that need replacing too?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Gold Member

I wouldn't bother with the kick drum reso unless you feel you must. Chances are when you get in the studio there will be much more done to get a great kick sound anyway. The last recording I did, the engineer told me to remove my reso on the kick before I showed up to the session. I thought he was crazy but I was wrong, he did some tricks including a subkick and blankets and got a killer sound.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
If you can't remember how old they are, it's time to change them. If it were me, I'd marry the Evans G2 batter heads with G1 clear resonant heads. I'm running that combo now on my Tama Starclassic Bubinga kit and G2 coated over G1 clear on my Gretsch kit. I did have them on my Yamaha drums, but I switched the batter heads to G1 coated a while back.

Dennis
You know, no one ever uses my favorite head combo: a thin clear diplomat on the batter side and a smooth white black dot on the reso side. That's the sound of the future, folks ;)
Old 04-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Gold Member

I'd go for either a G1, G Plus, or EC Resonant. I've used all three at some point and they all work well.

The G1 will give you a very clean, open sound, the G Plus a little more sustain, and the EC Reso a lower perceived pitch because it cuts a few higher frequencies.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Gold Member

Of course you could always take a hint from the master studio drummer himself: Gadd. He uses pinstripes on batter, clear ambassadors on reso, for toms and kick.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:29 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
You know, no one ever uses my favorite head combo: a thin clear diplomat on the batter side and a smooth white black dot on the reso side. That's the sound of the future, folks ;)
I tried the dips on the resos, and it shortened my tom note. I didn't like them for that reason. I switched them out after 1 gig. I like loooong sustaining tom notes. Haven't given the black dots on the batter a fair trial though.
And the G Pluses...I thought the tone was a little wonky. It did lengthen the note some but the frequencies didn't please my ear. I've come to the conclusion that 10 mil heads are standard for a reason, they produce the most pleasing set of frequencies... to my ear at least.
Dips on the batter....dent city.
Density lol
Spa king. Spa king....Spocking....Anyone know the movie reference?