DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-07-2011, 09:07 PM

Default Remo Pinstripe For Reso

Hey, i havent done this but i was thinking, would it dampen it loads, cause you would have the control ring on the reso, would this be a good or bad idea, cause i know that resos are usually thinner...right ? ;D
Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Remo Pinstripe For Reso

In my opinion it would be a bad idea. Anything smaller than 16" that I have heard with a douple ply reso sounded terrible to me. No tone, just a cardboard box. Anything above 16" sounded like very controlled thunder.

The best thing for what you want to try would be to have a PS3 reso. I think that would sound pretty decent. Hell, even for aesthetics go for the ebony PS3 so there isn't that black ring!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 PM

aha, thought so, i wouldnt try it to be honest, i was just thinking earlier, i may go for some EC2's for the Batter and keep my PDP Resos for the minutes, :)
Old 04-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicstar View Post
In my opinion it would be a bad idea. Anything smaller than 16" that I have heard with a douple ply reso sounded terrible to me. No tone, just a cardboard box. Anything above 16" sounded like very controlled thunder.
It must've been the tuning of the drums. I've heard an old Tama Rockstar kit with PS top & bottom on the toms, with no sort of suspension mount, and they sang for DAYS. I leave my toms wide open 'cause I love a very resonant tone, and it was too much for my taste. Whether you'd like the TONE is a different matter- with PS on both sides, it was a very... almost "processed" sound, like I was hearing them through a PA or on a recording and they'd been EQ'd to death- very clear & focused tone with nearly no overtones.

But you didn't ask about PS top & bottom, just on the reso side... So yeah, PS heads as resos will not inhibit resonance.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
It must've been the tuning of the drums. I've heard an old Tama Rockstar kit with PS top & bottom on the toms, with no sort of suspension mount, and they sang for DAYS. I leave my toms wide open 'cause I love a very resonant tone, and it was too much for my taste. Whether you'd like the TONE is a different matter- with PS on both sides, it was a very... almost "processed" sound, like I was hearing them through a PA or on a recording and they'd been EQ'd to death- very clear & focused tone with nearly no overtones.

But you didn't ask about PS top & bottom, just on the reso side... So yeah, PS heads as resos will not inhibit resonance.
Its ok as long as you have a Pinstrip or heavier head on batter.

An Amby on batter would be awful... lol. just the though of it.. ugh. But I can imagine the double Pinstripe combo would be pretty.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:

Could also be they had both sides tune too high. High tension pinstripes that aren't being used as a snare head are just......no lol
Old 04-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicstar View Post
Could also be they had both sides tune too high. High tension pinstripes that aren't being used as a snare head are just......no lol
No, they were tuned right in a normal range for 12/13/16 toms. The tension you're describing would have them up in timbale territory. Don't know if that's what you meant, but no, they weren't even high-for-toms-but-not-timbale-high, they were just normal. Again, a very strange, overly-processed-sounding tone, that I personally didn't much care for, but still. The guy who owned them was a bit of a novice and probably didn't know better (that certain types of heads were never meant as resos), and luckily got a usable sound from them. I'd bet that batter/reso combo would result in nearly the same tone on every shell material! Very, uh, cold, like EQ'd to eliminate ALL midrange from the tone- just stick attack followed by a long bass-y note. (Not saying like a bass drum, but having lots of low end in the tone, probably too much.)

But alluding again to the OP- PS top & bottom, no suspension mounts on rack toms but rather bracket-on-shell, normal tuning, resonated like "doooooooooooooooommmmm" with nary an overtone heard.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Platinum Member

Well, I wouldn't do it.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:51 AM
Gold Member

maybe for close miced studio work but way too dead from what I remember. If you have one laying around try it, you might like it.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

For everyone who has ever run Pinstripes batter and Ambassador reso. ..... when you tune the reso head .... does your tom sound like poop? Like, totally like a cardboard box ... and you just wanna throw it into the fireplace? .... probably not ....
It's simply a formula not used too often ...
For the OP ... mm941, just try it. It's gonna take what, 5 minutes worth of your time .... 10? And then you'll know. You might like it, you might not, no harm, no foul, it's not gonna make your drum explode ....
All this " i wouldnt try it" ... "would be awful... lol. just the though of it.. ugh" ... "Well, I wouldn't do it" ... why not?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
For everyone who has ever run Pinstripes batter and Ambassador reso. ..... when you tune the reso head .... does your tom sound like poop? Like, totally like a cardboard box ... and you just wanna throw it into the fireplace? .... probably not ....

It's simply a formula not used too often ...

For the OP ... mm941, just try it. It's gonna take what, 5 minutes worth of your time .... 10? And then you'll know. You might like it, you might not, no harm, no foul, it's not gonna make your drum explode ....

All this " i wouldnt try it" ... "would be awful... lol. just the though of it.. ugh" ... "Well, I wouldn't do it" ... why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodiggie View Post
try it, you might like it.
^ All this. My old acquaintance tried it. Maybe from not knowing better, but still. He didn't run out & get Ambo's, so I guess he liked it. I didn't. The tone, that is. Alluding to the OP again- resonance Fo Eva.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodiggie View Post
maybe for close miced studio work but way too dead from what I remember.
You tried it? Got a dead sound? Again, musta been the tuning. "Dooooooooooooooooooooooommm..." Witnessed it. Couldn't believe it. Flew in the face of what I'd have thought, but- heard it.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

If you're looking for a reso with controlled overtones, why not try a head like the EC resonant or a Black Dot? They're both single ply and pretty resonant on their own, but trims out some of those higher overtones.

I've tried two-ply heads on the bottom, and much like classicstar said, really only seem to work on bigger/deeper toms if you want any kind of resonance.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
No, they were tuned right in a normal range for 12/13/16 toms. The tension you're describing would have them up in timbale territory. Don't know if that's what you meant, but no, they weren't even high-for-toms-but-not-timbale-high, they were just normal. Again, a very strange, overly-processed-sounding tone, that I personally didn't much care for, but still. The guy who owned them was a bit of a novice and probably didn't know better (that certain types of heads were never meant as resos), and luckily got a usable sound from them. I'd bet that batter/reso combo would result in nearly the same tone on every shell material! Very, uh, cold, like EQ'd to eliminate ALL midrange from the tone- just stick attack followed by a long bass-y note. (Not saying like a bass drum, but having lots of low end in the tone, probably too much.)

But alluding again to the OP- PS top & bottom, no suspension mounts on rack toms but rather bracket-on-shell, normal tuning, resonated like "doooooooooooooooommmmm" with nary an overtone heard.
Haha no I was saying that was probably why I didn't like the pinstripe over pinstripe combo that I heard, was because they were tuned really high
Old 04-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

I heard and briefly played a Tama set that had Pinstripes on both sides. It sounded better than I thought it would. They had almost no resonance, but they were very deep sounding. With mics it may sound good. They had a sound that would appeal to many drummers. They were not my cup o' tea, but it was not terrible. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark