DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-29-2015, 07:53 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Default Russ Miller here.....

Russ Miller just joined the Forum and is ready to answer questions - great! and welcome......

Russ Miller is internationally known as one of the top drummers of today.

As a Multi-Platinum recording artist, he has played on multiple Grammy® award winning recordings with combined sales of over 26 million copies.

Drummerworld:
http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Russ_Miller.html
Old 03-29-2015, 10:42 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Russ Miller here.....

Welcome Russ :)
Old 03-29-2015, 08:52 PM

This is great news!
Welcome to the forum. I'm fairly new here, myself
Old 03-29-2015, 09:21 PM

Wow, that's pretty cool. Damn nice playing from the videos I saw of you, also.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:59 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Hey Guys, Would love to answer any questions! Love the Drummerworld site! Russ
Old 03-30-2015, 02:14 AM

Hi Russ. If you don't mind me asking, . . .what was it about the Saturns that made you pick them over the Black Panthers? Did Mapex give you the choice?
Old 03-30-2015, 02:57 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tiger View Post
Hi Russ. If you don't mind me asking, . . .what was it about the Saturns that made you pick them over the Black Panthers? Did Mapex give you the choice?
Thanks for question. The main reason was... when I was testing Mapex drums, the Saturn IV was just ready to come out. It was a total revamp of the Saturn line. The Black Panther drums are all "Limited Edition", so Joe Hibbs the AR manager asked me to check the Saturns because they couldn't supply the Black Panthers globally for me. Also, no changes of design could be made to the Black Panther lines. I'm really excited for everybody to hear the Saturn V. This is the kit I have been basically using since I came onto Mapex. They have the Soniclear bearing edges and the new Sonic mounts. It is a totally different kit than the Saturn IV. Much more tuning range, over twice the sustain levels and a whole lot more bottom end! Here is an example of the Saturn V, on the "Rhythm-Sphere" record I did with Pete Lockett. This is actual footage from the session. It is my "Solo" piece on that record.
: https://youtu.be/OsYChc5Sd5o

p.s. This was before the Soniclear mounts, so they sound even better than this! Thanks for your question, Russ
Old 03-30-2015, 02:57 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tiger View Post
Wow, that's pretty cool. Damn nice playing from the videos I saw of you, also.
P.S. Thank you for for your kind comments!
Old 03-30-2015, 06:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Miller View Post
p.s. This was before the Soniclear mounts, so they sound even better than this! Thanks for your question, Russ
Dear Russ: Thanks for the joining the forum and for taking time to response to questions.

I just have a question about the Soniclear mounts. Are you referring to the new clamp device Mapex created that attaches the tom directly to the cymbal stand? I think the actual mount hardware on the toms is the same between Saturn IV and Vs, right? The old mounting system required you to use the small tom arm and fix it into the clamp, which then fastened onto the cymbal stand.

If this is all the Soniclear mount is, then is there some kind of shock-absorbing device in this new clamp that increases tom tom sustain?

Thanks!

P.S. Could you ask Mapex to consider returning to some of their old, super cool Saturn colors--like "Laser Canary" and "Mango Burst" (looks more like transparent mango)? I like the sound of the new Saturns, but I really miss the wider color palette they offered in the recent past.

P.S.S. The drums sound great in the video you provided. Are you using 10/12/13 toms across the front, with the two floor toms? Nice thunderous sound.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Miller View Post
Thanks for question. The main reason was... when I was testing Mapex drums, the Saturn IV was just ready to come out. It was a total revamp of the Saturn line. The Black Panther drums are all "Limited Edition", so Joe Hibbs the AR manager asked me to check the Saturns because they couldn't supply the Black Panthers globally for me. Also, no changes of design could be made to the Black Panther lines. I'm really excited for everybody to hear the Saturn V. This is the kit I have been basically using since I came onto Mapex. They have the Soniclear bearing edges and the new Sonic mounts. It is a totally different kit than the Saturn IV. Much more tuning range, over twice the sustain levels and a whole lot more bottom end! Here is an example of the Saturn V, on the "Rhythm-Sphere" record I did with Pete Lockett. This is actual footage from the session. It is my "Solo" piece on that record.
: https://youtu.be/OsYChc5Sd5o

Thanks for getting back to me. I didn't realize the Black Panther's were limited edition sets, so yeah, that's makes sense using the Saturn's. (Not that using the Saturn's are a sacrifice). I watched the link that you put in your response, the Saturn's sound real nice, smooth playing, too. Thanks again!
Old 04-01-2015, 01:31 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Dear Russ: Thanks for the joining the forum and for taking time to response to questions.

I just have a question about the Soniclear mounts. Are you referring to the new clamp device Mapex created that attaches the tom directly to the cymbal stand? I think the actual mount hardware on the toms is the same between Saturn IV and Vs, right? The old mounting system required you to use the small tom arm and fix it into the clamp, which then fastened onto the cymbal stand.

If this is all the Soniclear mount is, then is there some kind of shock-absorbing device in this new clamp that increases tom tom sustain?

Thanks!

P.S. Could you ask Mapex to consider returning to some of their old, super cool Saturn colors--like "Laser Canary" and "Mango Burst" (looks more like transparent mango)? I like the sound of the new Saturns, but I really miss the wider color palette they offered in the recent past.

P.S.S. The drums sound great in the video you provided. Are you using 10/12/13 toms across the front, with the two floor toms? Nice thunderous sound.

Hey Robert,
Thanks for the question. Yes, the Soniclear mount is a newly design "mono" mount. It eliminates the tom arm to clamp to stand, set-up. Each step in the mounting process.... stand to clamp to arm to mounting arm to tom mount, etc. Causes a "Transfer loss". So, cutting down on the amount of connections really helps. For instance, the Soniclear mount is a tom arm connected to the stand. It is only two steps and it has a special design to help with maintaining the sustain of the drum. This transfer loss is why, when you hold the drum up in the air it sounds one way and on the mount it sounds completely different. This system is much better and it has increased the sustain of the toms by 3X's !! They should be available in the next month or so.
P.S. I will mention the colors to the design team, I agree with you!
Russ
Old 04-14-2015, 03:31 PM

Mr. Miller,
I also wanted to thank you for taking the time to join DW and respond to these questions! I'm a big fan of your playing, so it's exciting to know you're here!

I LOVE the VF Russ Miller HD sticks. In fact, they are my stick of choice. I was wondering when you retire yours based on tip wear? I have a pair that still sound fine, but the tips no longer have the special shape - they are worn to pretty much a ball now. I'm not playing concerts with them, so I'll use them until they break or really wear out, but I was curious about when you decide a pair is finished. Also, and I'm sure it's because the wood tips sound better to you, but I was wondering if there was any consideration for producing them with nylon tips as well?

Lately I've been listening to Rhythm Industry pretty much non-stop! Just an awesome piece. I was wondering if the vocals had a meaning, or if you were basically singing a rhythm to play against? It's such a musical solo - very cool! (I also dig the way the camera vibrates in the video! The drums sound so deep.)

Thanks again for being here!
Pat

Last edited by Mcdonap; 04-14-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:41 PM
Gold Member

Welcome to the forum Russ, it's a great place.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:04 PM

Hi, Russ - I had the pleasure of seeing you at Drum Daze in Columbus last year, and getting your autograph afterward. I especially enjoyed the "Battle of the Brushes" at the end with you and the other featured drummers.

At the time I asked you what was the first song you remember hearing yourself playing on the radio, and who the artist was. You told me, but the song and singer were unfamiliar and unfortunately I didn't write it down. Could you tell me again? Thanks.