DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-29-2011, 08:54 AM

Default hardware bags

Hi, I currently have a big Protection Racket hardware bag with wheels, (I think it's their biggest one at 47" long x 14" wide x 14" tall), which I got because I used to have a lot more cymbals stands than I do now and I wanted to be able to fit my hi-hat stand in completely.

However now I just use 2 double braced boom stands, a couple of those boom arms that lock onto an existing stand, my hi-hat stand, snare stand and light stool, but the bag still weighs quite a lot, (which is a big deal to me cos I live up 4 flights of stairs).

My guess is that it still weighs a lot because the bag isn't full so the stands are spread out and their weight isn't centralised in the bag for me to lift evenly. I was thinking of just using some sort of smaller sports bag, even if it means the stands poke out of the end, the weight distrobution will be more even/centralised.

Anyone have similar experience or any ideas that might help solve my problem? Cheers

Last edited by Goreliscious; 03-29-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:34 PM

Default Re: hardware bags

Good hardware is heavy, that's just the way it is. I run DW 5000 Series, and a virgin kick, so I've got a minimum of HH stand, Snare stand, Rock 'n Sock throne, and 2 Cymbal stands in my bag. That probably weighs close to 200 lbs. You could always go buy some cheap hardware...
Old 03-29-2011, 05:19 PM

I reckon my setup is the lightest I can make it without buying crap that'll just fall over. I even stopped using my 2nd pair of hi-hats and my heavy duty Tama stool to cut the weight down! I definitely need a better system cos after a 3 hour practice of fast tempos and hitting hard, 4 flights of stairs with a bad back is depressing.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

I use a plastic box I bought at Walmart. I used some wood at one end to add two wheels. I did this about seven years ago, and it is still going strong. I have a hardware bag that I used to use, but now I just use it for storage. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 03-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Banned

Try using 2 smaller bags. Easy.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
Try using 2 smaller bags. Easy.
Yeah I'd thought about that. Jury is still out but it's a definite maybe. Problem is, apart from unscrewing the rod the hi-hats clamp onto, there's no real way of shortening my hi-hat stand and I don't want it poking out of a bag cos it'll just get more bent than it already is.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Take the bag to a shop that makes cordura bags and items and they can rig up a custom system where you can carry this on your back. For something this heavy, the best way is to carry balanced on your back.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshvibert View Post
Good hardware is heavy, that's just the way it is. I run DW 5000 Series, and a virgin kick, so I've got a minimum of HH stand, Snare stand, Rock 'n Sock throne, and 2 Cymbal stands in my bag. That probably weighs close to 200 lbs. You could always go buy some cheap hardware...
I don't think good hardware is Universally heavy. DW have the 6000 Series (or whatever it's called now) and Gibraltar have the flat based line. I own an 80's Pearl single-braced stand that I am very fond of that barely weighs anything and I have no issues with it. I actually have more of an issue with the heavier Pearl stand (of a similar age) that I use to mount a ride and a floor tom. It weighs a ton! I have a load of hardware and my parent's house that is kicking around in storage, so when I next visit I going to re-assess what I need.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:37 AM
Silver Member

I've been using an Adidas gym bag to haul most of my gear over the past year. It holds 3 boom stands, a snare stand, throne base, and other small stuff like sticks, floor tom legs, tom holder, etc. The thing is 20 years old and its absolutely mint, no tears anywhere and all the zippers work great.
I would like to pick up something a bit more heavy duty with wheels.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:36 AM
Silver Member

cheap and easy:

http://tinyurl.com/4gcrsdo

F